Xbox Series FPS Boost - Some Bethesda Titles Added

A complete aside, but - good grief - that run animation on Watch Dogs 2 is painful to watch sometimes. The character is animating running at full tilt, but is moving at a jog speed at best. That would do my nut in.

This is brilliant, but it’s a shame that so many Xbone games ran at a lower resolution than their PS4 equivalents. Two things here: firstly, the Xbone’s negative power differential meant that I bought many third party games on PS4 instead, and secondly, doubling frame rates on games that often only hit 900p or thereabouts still won’t feel particularly next gen. It would be amazing if the team could somehow magic up a native resolution boost too, but I don’t see how that would be possible without involving the devs.

Anyway, I’m sure there will be plenty of brilliant examples of this working in due course... it’s just unfortunate that Sony aren’t doing this too, because from my POV I’d have a much bigger library to experience the updates!

1 hour ago, ucci said:

When the new console launched I was under the impression legacy Xbox one titles would run better on Xbox One X than Xbox Series S, is that still the case?

Depends. They can be higher resolution on the One X but should perform better on the series s as the cpu is much better. 

47 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Sorry, I split out the few posts from X|S thread and caused confusion and delay. Shall we merge them?

Prob best. 

Maybe better to put my initial first thread post at top as its got info and the beginning of a list. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

I want an amalgamation of MS and Sony.

MS have the best hardware and software engineers, while Sony have the best game devs. Imagine how good our hobby would be if they joined forces.

Either that or they should just hurry up and buy Nintendo.

Yeah this. I hate console exclusives. Imagine how glorious Gradius V would be on the Series X. I have the PS2 version on disc but nothing setup to play it on. Sony really need to get their shit together with this.

Bravo to MS for everything they're doing with BC.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Yeah this. I hate console exclusives. Imagine how glorious Gradius V would be on the Series X. I have the PS2 version on disc but nothing setup to play it on. Sony really need to get their shit together with this.

Bravo to MS for everything they're doing with BC.

A bit off topic, but have you got the Konami Arcade Collection? Gradius and Salamander are on there amongst other things. I love having a nostalgia blast on it every now and then.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

A bit off topic, but have you got the Konami Arcade Collection? Gradius and Salamander are on there amongst other things. I love having a nostalgia blast on it every now and then.

No, didn't know about it. Bought and thanks!

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

No, didn't know about it. Bought and thanks!

No worries. Both Nemesis and Salamander have got such amazing memories for me, from when I was a little tear away getting the bus to the local arcade after school. It’s brilliant that I can relive those times again. Have fun with it!

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

This is brilliant, but it’s a shame that so many Xbone games ran at a lower resolution than their PS4 equivalents. Two things here: firstly, the Xbone’s negative power differential meant that I bought many third party games on PS4 instead, and secondly, doubling frame rates on games that often only hit 900p or thereabouts still won’t feel particularly next gen. It would be amazing if the team could somehow magic up a native resolution boost too, but I don’t see how that would be possible without involving the devs.

Anyway, I’m sure there will be plenty of brilliant examples of this working in due course... it’s just unfortunate that Sony aren’t doing this too, because from my POV I’d have a much bigger library to experience the updates!

They already do a native resolution boost for many titles.

SSX3 runs in 4k for example.

Just now, Marlew said:

This is pretty fucking brilliant, and my reason to get a Series X. 

I kind of like that there are just 5 games. I'm hoping they do 5 a fortnight, or something. Alongside Game Pass it'll just be a constant flow of stuff. 

11 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Do they need to be on the SSD to get the FPS boost.

Nope, trying Watchdogs 2 now and its running super smooth from my external drive.

Jaggy as all hell though, really needs a patch for res!

Would a resolution boost need the original code altering? If they can double the framerate perhaps they are working on boosting the resolution in a similar way. It’s not like the assets are 900p is it?

27 minutes ago, Isaac said:

They already do a native resolution boost for many titles.

SSX3 runs in 4k for example.

Sadly not for many. I think all Original Xbox games do but anything after that it's just a small selection. 

Hopefully that's the next thing the BC team get working on. I've been playing Spec Ops The Line. It's still a great game but visually, really grimy. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Would a resolution boost need the original code altering? If they can double the framerate perhaps they are working on boosting the resolution in a similar way. It’s not like the assets are 900p is it?

Quite a few janky PC ports by Japanese developers with dodgy internal rendering resolutions have been fixed by injecting code into the D3D API (Dark Souls 1 is an example), so it's something that can be done.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Xbox Series FPS Boost - Some Bethesda Titles Added