IGNORED

Nintendo Direct Wed 17th January (February)

Calashnikov

Skyward Sword completely passed me by when it first came out (I must have been in one of my not into games periods), but jesus that looks fucking terrible! 

If I didn’t know better I could believe it was some dodgy Linux rip off of a real Zelda game, like Tux Kart was a Mario Kart rip off. 

5 minutes ago, Quest said:

Plenty there for me. Bit worried about how rough No More Heroes 3 is looking though.

Looks legit just like the original. It’s gotta be a knowing stylistic choice I’m sure, but there’s a danger it’s all gonna pan out a bit Deadly Premonition 2.

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

I think today makes it more likely - if it was 2022, they'd have given it a Splatoon 3 treatment. Instead, they are launching another port to keep people in the Zelda mood and it'll be their big E3 title with a November launch to follow. I'd bet somebody else's bollock on it now.

Fingers crossed :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Quest said:

Providing an alternative to waggle in Skyward Sword won't really fix the deeper problems of constant handholding and overly simple dungeon design. There's still a lot to love about the game but I doubt Nintendo will be addressing those issues.

The only fix Skyward Sword needs is to stop repeating item descriptions the first time you get them every time you boot it up. 

I bet they don't fix it. 

Just now, Calashnikov said:

Looks legit just like the original. It’s gotta be a knowing stylistic choice I’m sure, but there’s a danger it’s all gonna pan out a bit Deadly Premonition 2.

Yeah, I mean in terms of resolution more than anything. I'm happy for it to look like the older games generally but it looked way too blurry.

3 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I shit you not - earlier today I was musing over the fact that I always wanted to play those Famicom Detective Club games, and I even went looking for translated ROMs.

This is a fucking win. Genuinely buzzing you got such an obscure come-up! :hat: 

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Yeah, the time stone stuff, right? Legit actual peak Zelda moments for me, utter ingenuity. That whole bit lifted SS from a 6 to an 8 for me. 

The dungeons are classics throughout too, it gets a bad rep but it’s an excellent game overall - expected it to look a bit nicer I must admit, but I’m glad they included the motion plus controls, should work much, much better than the Wii original as the tech is better now. 

No excuse for not giving us Metroid Prime Trilogy though at this juncture - they can do the pointer and motion controls, evidently. 

6 minutes ago, Quest said:

Yeah, I mean in terms of resolution more than anything. I'm happy for it to look like the older games generally but it looked way too blurry.

I wasn’t defending it btw. My “legit looks like the original” was intended to be utterly damning. I only played NMH1 for the first time whenever that port dropped on Switch. It was one of the worst games I’d ever played. Still kinda liked it in spite of this.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The dungeons are classics throughout too, it gets a bad rep but it’s an excellent game overall - expected it to look a bit nicer I must admit, but I’m glad they included the motion plus controls, should work much, much better than the Wii original as the tech is better now. 

No excuse for not giving us Metroid Prime Trilogy though at this juncture - they can do the pointer and motion controls, evidently. 

Yeah what good stuff there is in skyward sword is really good stuff. The bad however is really bad. Lots of repetition for example.

Yeah it’s getting a bit ridiculous with Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I know the theory is they’ll release them in the build up to MP4, but that’s three pretty big games. Even if MP4 is still a while away, I’ll probably need between now and then to get through them all.

To be honest if I need to rinse through them quickly, the last thing I’ll want after that is another fucking one!

Checking out the Age of Calamity DLC it’s pretty crap, at least for the first two parts. Part 1 is literally a new costume and weapon for Link, and we have to wait until May for that, the first wave proper in June has new weapon types and enemies, and only in November do we actually get new stages, I’m guessing story too but it’s not mentioned.