Nintendo Direct Wed 17th January (February)

Checking out the Age of Calamity DLC it’s pretty crap, at least for the first two parts. Part 1 is literally a new costume and weapon for Link, and we have to wait until May for that, the first wave proper in June has new weapon types and enemies, and only in November do we actually get new stages, I’m guessing story too but it’s not mentioned. 

Just now, Strafe said:

Really weird how we didn’t all get the stuff we want like all the other times we did in Directs.

It’s almost as if the middle-aged N64 Dad crowd that “will wait for it to be on gamepass” maybe isn’t such a bountiful market after all.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Checking out the Age of Calamity DLC it’s pretty crap, at least for the first two parts. Part 1 is literally a new costume and weapon for Link, and we have to wait until May for that, the first wave proper in June has new weapon types and enemies, and only in November do we actually get new stages, I’m guessing story too but it’s not mentioned. 

The first part you mention is just a bonus for purchasing the pass. 

Just played the free 1943 rom in Capcom Arcade Stadium and, whilst it’s packed with nice features, it doesn’t seem to have a fit to screen option (so 1943 is windowed on all sides and hard to see bullets), which is a huge oversight. Well done, Capcom. 

51 minutes ago, Majora said:

Well, once I've finished Bowser's Fury I'm basically not turning on my Switch until at least August. 

That was crap, COVID has really fucking hit them hard if all they have to show right now is a HD version of the worst Zelda game, a Mario Golf game that looks like it cost 50p to produce and another Splatoon game with a vague 2022 date. 

I thought I was harsh.

Some Trufax there.

Tingle. Fucking sex offender Tingle? :quote:

42 minutes ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Right... Just so we're all on the same page...

Hide contents

We're all buying Mario Golf on day 1, and starting a leaderboard/tournaments immediately to replace the gaping void that is Everybody's Golf, aye?

Hide contents

AYE?

Sounds good to me! 

Is the game any good? I am reading this thread backwards from page 16 so I’ve no idea what it looks like.

Just now, ZOK said:

Sounds good to me! 

Is the game any good? I am reading this thread backwards from page 16 so I’ve no idea what it looks like.

No, it looks like it was made on a budget of 50p apparently. :lol:

Well they weren’t exactly technical powerhouses on the N64 or 3DS, so not necessarily a problem - a golf game doesn’t need great graphics. Any videos anywhere?

1 hour ago, Quest said:

Seriously though how did that shite game end up with a cover of 7 and 7 Is?

Weird

Totally! Pretty sure it was the original, unlike that shit annoying cover of Have Love Will Travel I hear in that insurance company adverts.

Most jarring part in the entire Direct - the music mixed with these characters playing a game that I can't tell if they are parodying something? Are those characters even in the game? Weirdly bland even with all the superfluous presentation efforts they made.

8 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

No, it looks like it was made on a budget of 50p apparently. :lol:

Obviously I was being hyperbolic but I thought it looked cheap and sterile.

Sure, a golf game doesn't need incredible graphics but it all looked so 'will this do?' It has no character or sense of style. If you took the character models out of it you'd be hard pushed to even identify it as a Mario game. It screams budget schedule-filler.

One hour of Nintendo Direct, only for nothing to stick for me personally. Some rough looking games in there as well.

It’s quite a feat for Skyward Sword HD Switch to look that bad. Never mind having to play it with primeval Monster Hunter controls. 

Won’t have the time nor stamina for Project Triangle Strategy. Though I’m happy Square Enix is keeping the style. FFVI Remake or Octopath 2 next?

Ah but wait, the Famicom Detective Club games are getting localized. That’s nice! Direct kind of redeemed. 

They announced a new Crayon Shin Chan game on the Japanese Direct that totally looks like a My Summer Vacation/Attack of the Friday Monsters. Would not be at all surprised if some of those folk are involved.

58 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Yeah what good stuff there is in skyward sword is really good stuff. The bad however is really bad. Lots of repetition for example.

Tadtones :bye:

31 minutes ago, probotector said:

I thought I was harsh.

Some Trufax there.

Tingle. Fucking sex offender Tingle? :quote:

Dude, what are you talking about? There were no Tingle games in there. I fucking wish there was.

46 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I can’t believe actual Metroid is going to miss the Metroidvania bandwagon.

And then they’re casually mentioning “we know you’re waiting on Zelda info”. No. No, I’m not. I’m still waiting on the main reason I bought this machine instead. You know. That game you announced yeaaaars ago. 

Dear lord. At least Skyward Sword shows the idea of MP3 with normal controls is technically allowed within Nintendo, so throw MP Trilogy in the store already!

28 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Totally! Pretty sure it was the original, unlike that shit annoying cover of Have Love Will Travel I hear in that insurance company adverts.

Just a cover trying to sound close to the original I think, but with more modern production. Still, a pretty weird choice.

17 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

golf1.thumb.jpg.c8d00092c103747895a446bbbd44a965.jpg

I mean at least whack Peach's castle in the back or something.

C&C with the 3DS game, which isn't especially beautiful but you can tell it's a Mario game just from the background.

golf2.thumb.jpg.6c5856c4fa1cc4df8e686108809e7793.jpg

That looks fine to me...are there any videos though?

20 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Won’t have the time nor stamina for Project Triangle Strategy. Though I’m happy Square Enix is keeping the style. FFVI Remake or Octopath 2 next?

Man, I would adore FFVI remade in that style. I’d buy it and gift it to multiple friends and family.