Wednesday - Tim Burton Addams-related show

JohnC

https://deadline.com/2021/02/wednesday-addams-live-action-series-tim-burton-netflix-al-gough-miles-millar-to-showrun-1234695553/

Tim Burton to direct an 8-part live-action Wednesday Addams show for Netflix. Al Gough and Miles Millar as showrunners.

Titled Wednesday, the coming-of-age comedy, written by Smallville creators Al Gough and Miles Millar and to be directed by Burton, is a sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery charting Wednesday Addams’ years as a student at Nevermore Academy. Wednesday’s attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town, and solve the supernatural mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago — all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships at Nevermore.

28 minutes ago, Gotters said:

The films that made us episode on Nightmare Before Xmas did a good job of highlighting very clearly how little a Tim Burton credit on something could actually mean.

The difference is that in this case, it's specifically announced as being a directing credit. It doesn't say how many episodes he'll direct (directing the first episode of a series doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a huge amount of involvement with it after that; look at Agents of SHIELD). But it does imply that he'll do more than on Nightmare Before Christmas, where his name may have ended up above the title, but he was credited as a producer and creator of the story and characters. Those are credits that have a lot of leeway for how directly involved someone might be.

I do think that in the last decade or so, in the rush to rightfully give Henry Selick and others praise and show how misleading that "Tim Burton's TNBC" title was, there has been a tendency for people to overcorrect and completely dismiss Burton's contributions. He initiated the concept and aesthetics, got Elfman involved, and the film wouldn't have been made at all without him, so he shouldn't be ignored even if he wasn't very hands-on with the film's production. It wasn't a "Quentin Tarantino Presents: Hero" situation.

I know the program set out to make the point about Burton and TNBC but everybody interviewed seemed to be a bit put out at how much credit he'd been given/taken for the final product.

Yes he originated the character drawings but the 3d models, amazing songs, even the storyline all came from the other participants.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Former Wednesday, Christina Ricci, is in. It's a newly created role. She will be taking over from Thora Birch, who had shot most of her scenes as a Dorm Mother and only "Normie" on the Academy staff. She left due to a family illness. It's not confirmed, but it seems like Birch's footage remains and I assume the character gets written out, with Ricci replacing her.

• 4 months later...
On 22/03/2022 at 14:00, JohnC said:

Former Wednesday, Christina Ricci, is in. It's a newly created role. She will be taking over from Thora Birch, who had shot most of her scenes as a Dorm Mother and only "Normie" on the Academy staff. She left due to a family illness. It's not confirmed, but it seems like Birch's footage remains and I assume the character gets written out, with Ricci replacing her.

Man, I always wondered what happened to Birch. She was talented.

2 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

It looks interesting but I just can't get Huston and Julia out of my mind. They were just perfection. Presumably Mortica and Gomez aren't in this much so it won't matter.

It's impossible to match them, mainly because they were clearly having an absolute whale of a time. There's nothing better in this world than watching people who are incredibly good at something working at the top of their game and both Houston and Julia were exactly at that level for the first film.

The sheer joy they exude is palpable - these are the truly great performances that the likes of award ceremonies never bother noticing.