Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

22 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I imagine that as Splatoon has a bigger focus on literally shooting at the ground than it does at moving players a lot of people won’t notice as much about the tick rate.

Turf War is such a small portion of Splatoon, though. Even then, once it's played beyond level 10 you slowly begin to realise that sticking to painting your own half doesn't really work as well as it did anymore. Winning Turf War is absolutely about killing the other team, especially during that last 20 seconds where turf is unrecoverable.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Question: If they had spent the millions extra required to match Sony/MS online, how many more units of Switch and/or MK8 do you think they would have sold as a result? How much of the market have they missed out on by not spending the cash/resources in that area this gen?

I get it, it sucks - but you can't fault the numbers and results on their end.

I didn't see this edit. I know it makes sense from a business perspective, as does not making a new F-Zero, but that doesn't make it excusable.

You must also surely remember that playing online was still free when the Switch launched. The main reason everybody wanted to pay for online was so that we could end up with a better service, not the same old shitty one with some dodgy ROM dumps thrown in as a value proposition.

Nintendo are making almost a billion dollars annually from their online subscription service. This doesn't mean that they're fine to get away with not giving anything back in return. In the direct case of Splatoon we're paying for the Switch console on our home networks to communicate with other home networks that have Switch consoles. That's it. There are no dedicated servers.

We're all being fucking ripped, but that's fine of course because Splatoon is great and so is Capitalism. I decided not to pay for a while and ended up losing all my cloud saves as a return (they get wiped after a few months of inactivity), that's what I get for showing any doubt!

I don't think we disagree.

It's just that this is generally the 'We're so stoked for S3!' thread and we know from experience it's kinda good enough, even if it should be so much better.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

Turf War is such a small portion of Splatoon, though. Even then, once it's played beyond level 10 you slowly begin to realise that sticking to painting your own half doesn't really work as well as it did anymore. Winning Turf War is absolutely about killing the other team, especially during that last 20 seconds where turf is unrecoverable.

I don’t doubt it but in my experience players spend less time killing each other than they do shooting something that doesn’t move. Well, in unranked anyway.

Yeah, Clam Blitz involves a lot of splatting. But not as much as controlling the ground in order to hide/charge up your specials.

I'm hoping we get a new Ranked format as a mid-season upgrade.

11 hours ago, dataDave said:

Splatoon 2 being fun is exactly how Nintendo get away with charging money for bottom-of-the barrel infrastructure and netcode.

Isn’t a game being fun the most important thing? You act like they made the game fun as a scam.

I do think there is a significant number of people who would much prefer a game not be that fun but be a technical showcase online. Like the old joke: “The food in this restaurant is terrible but the portions are magnificent!”

51 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Isn’t a game being fun the most important thing? You act like they made the game fun as a scam.

I do think there is a significant number of people who would much prefer a game not be that fun but be a technical showcase online. Like the old joke: “The food in this restaurant is terrible but the portions are magnificent!”

Online games, especially shooters, require solid netcode in order to be fun. Poor netcode with an online shooter directly equals less responsiveness and less fun. Splatoon is lots of fun with rubbish netcode, with better netcode (that's at least worthy of the subscription fees) it could be a lot more fun. It's not hard to work out.

Splatoon's netcode is irrefutably rubbish in direct comparison to free-to-play offerings which provide dedicated servers. The only time I experience any form of lag is with Nintendo Online, which was kind of fine when it was free. Now that it's a premium service which is generating them hundreds of millions of dollars it's not as forgivable. I expected things to get a lot better after we started paying, but they didn't.

I read a very good counter-stance on the desire for better connection offerings, which mirrored @Rsdio's earlier comment, in that Nintendo want to purposely iron out the playing field by flat-out giving everyone the same nerfed connection, so that Xx_1337Sn1p3r2007_xX playing with their Pro Controller plugged in to USB over ethernet with a 3 ping connection wouldn't have too much of a competitive advantage over Little Johnny who's using his Switch from a McDonald's public WiFi. That makes sense, but then they shouldn't really be charging money for that.

I feel for @dataDave as he is bang on with the complaints and it really does hold the game back - no esports as the backend is simply not good enough and Splatoon should be the most played ‘fps’ game out there so its a shame it misses out on a load of exposure.

For me, the tick rate has been so bad for so long in Splatoon games it almost doesn’t matter - it falls into a casual game that im not really too fussed about ranking on, its like GT7 sport mode that is just broken in terms of penalty’s so there is little point in caring about your ranking.

Thats a real shame and if you could play it on a high tick rate server people really would notice the difference in a 30 vs 60fps game. Its pretty appalling that Nintendo have a tick rate that would have been considered farcical 20 years ago on Counterstrike et al :( 

58 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Its pretty appalling that Nintendo have a tick rate that would have been considered farcical 20 years ago on Counterstrike et al :( 

People complained about Smash for the longest time and that finally got a 60Hz tick rate upgrade for 1 vs 1 modes. So they do actually listen if people make enough noise.

Utilising dedicated servers (precisely like the rest of the industry do) would provide faster matchmaking, greater connection stability, and much more responsive games for everybody while costing Nintendo way less than 0.1% of the money they're currently raking in from subs. This is not a multi-million dollar investment in 2022.

I suppose one advantage of P2P connections is that it means the game can continue forever without needing ongoing investment.

I've been burned too many times in the past by companies (especially Sony) shutting down servers as soon as the game is no longer considered profitable. Other games have been unavailable for hours due to server maintenance. So I suppose this does all help Splatoon to be a longer-running thing.

(Count me as someone who's never noticed this lower tick rate. And I've always got games of Splatoon in seconds. So I don't really see the problem here, though I accept that others do. I've always assumed that any connection glitches on the Switch are due to a lot of people playing over wifi).

31 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I suppose one advantage of P2P connections is that it means the game can continue forever without needing ongoing investment.

i think it's usual for p2p stuff to use servers for matchmaking, so shut those down it'll stop working anyway. although yeah cheaper to just keep matchmaking servers running so maybe still more chance of it being kept alive longer.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've been burned too many times in the past by companies (especially Sony) shutting down servers as soon as the game is no longer considered profitable. Other games have been unavailable for hours due to server maintenance. So I suppose this does all help Splatoon to be a longer-running thing.

(Count me as someone who's never noticed this lower tick rate. And I've always got games of Splatoon in seconds. So I don't really see the problem here, though I accept that others do. I've always assumed that any connection glitches on the Switch are due to a lot of people playing over wifi).

I don’t think the tick rate will have anything to do with how quickly you get a game, it’s just about how much information (and how often) is being sent back and forth during the match.

Yeah seemed fine getting into games - takes a bit longer but it didn't fail to find enough players within the 2 minute lobby timer. It also felt very old and some strange map design - only when you directly compare can you see the differences.

Ah, man; just had a few games of 2 to get my eye in for the new game.

First, I'm soooo rusty. Second, it's going to be a wrench losing all of my gear. 140 items of headgear, 232 of clothing, 148 of footwear. Most ranked up to 3 slots.

And all the non-Amiibo weapons.

200 Sea Snails and 10 million G still not spent. I really spent too much time on this game, I think...

Yeah, I'd never given Cloud saving much of a thought, but that's another area where Nintendo are lacking.

On the other hand, wouldn't help here - I guess we'll find out what credit you'll get for your S2 save, if any.

1 hour ago, smac said:

Yeah, I'd never given Cloud saving much of a thought, but that's another area where Nintendo are lacking.

They do have cloud saves though....selling a switch doesn't mean you have to lose your saves at all - or are we saying because they are not free, in which case fair point.

2 hours ago, rgraves said:

They do have cloud saves though....selling a switch doesn't mean you have to lose your saves at all - or are we saying because they are not free, in which case fair point.

You can't put your online progress into the cloud on Splatoon 2.

4 hours ago, rgraves said:

Ah, that's shit then.

Also, if you stop paying for NSO while you don’t own a Switch they’ll wipe all your cloud saves as a nice big “fuck you very much”.

I’ve not paid for FFXI for ten years now, but all my characters are still there if I ever return. The same goes for WoW, and LoL, and DotA2, and everything else I can think of. I’m pretty certain my Xbox saves are safe as well.

• strawdonkey changed the title to Splatoon 3 - it's here!