Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I'm not sure I want my old level, I haven't played the game properly for at least 3 years!

I’m thinking the same, I’ve been warming up, but would t mind an easy start 🤣

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Except this. Does this have English language?

I’m pretty sure it uses the system language. Might be worth doing some reading. The only issue would be if you can use your card on the eShop. I haven’t used an alternative eShop for a while. 

Am I the only one here getting constant communications errors again? Looks like there are others on Reddit but I'm surprised there's no mention of it given I probably have a less than 50% success rate of getting into a game. Wired connection so definitely not wi-fi troubles.

I think I might binge the campaign for a few days and hope it settles down.

27 minutes ago, Dan said:

I’m pretty sure it uses the system language. Might be worth doing some reading. The only issue would be if you can use your card on the eShop. I haven’t used an alternative eShop for a while. 

Oh yeah I think payment is a pain. You have to get japanese eShop cards?

Just now, Rsdio said:

Am I the only one here getting constant communications errors again? Looks like there are others on Reddit but I'm surprised there's no mention of it given I probably have a less than 50% success rate of getting into a game. Wired connection so definitely not wi-fi troubles.

The last time I had this was on the Wii U and had to buy a Lan adapter 

21 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

What’s your NAT showing as?

21 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Oh yeah I think payment is a pain. You have to get japanese eShop cards?

I’ve just used my debit card in the past on some of the European stores, but only used the Japanese eShop for demos. 

Hmm, NAT type B should be fine for this on paper but it seems to really need type A for me. Tried putting the Switch in my router's DMZ and it seems OK now. Might have a look to see if I can do it just opening specific ports tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Hmm, NAT type B should be fine for this on paper but it seems to really need type A for me. Tried putting the Switch in my router's DMZ and it seems OK now. Might have a look to see if I can do it just opening specific ports tomorrow.

There doesn’t seem to be much info, but I think B is open on wired and A is open on wireless. I’ve not managed to get A on a wired connection, even with DMZ. 

2 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I have no idea where to buy new weapons. All of the vendors in the city are written in squid language. 

Press X and you should be able to select the different shops from the menu. I think that’s how S2 was, only just got home and not had chance to play yet. Or maybe sign up for a course on squid language? 😂

20 minutes ago, Dan said:

There doesn’t seem to be much info, but I think B is open on wired and A is open on wireless. I’ve not managed to get A on a wired connection, even with DMZ. 

Mine is on A via ethernet. If it has to be that way for me it might be an issue if I go elsewhere and have to play in handheld but to be honest I never really play Splatoon that way anyway.

24 minutes ago, smac said:

Huh. 'Splatoon 2 save data found! You can import if you want'. 

Then it tells me how much I played it. 1889 hours.

I find it interesting that the play time data doesn't transfer between Switches - I only played 4 hours on my OLED (and 350 on my original Switch).

Having fun with this so far! Looks and sounds great.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Nintendo Switch NAT types:

Depending on your ISP and network setup, you will be encountering either of these 5 NAT types (A, B, C, D and F) on your Nintendo Switch unit:

NAT Type A:

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit can communicate online seamlessly.

NAT Type B:

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit can communicate online, with minor restrictions.

Ideally, your Nintendo Switch unit needs to be at either NAT Type A or B to play with other people online.

NAT Type C :

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit is facing a moderate level of restrictions while communicating online.

NAT Type D :

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit is facing a moderate level of restrictions. NAT Type D units can only communicate with other Switch units with NAT Type A. 

NAT Type F:

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit cannot communicate with other devices and can’t play with any other people online. Consider changing either your network or router configuration with port forwarding or a VPN.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

You might have a better type A, through port forwarding.

It's a very common problem apparently, and Nintendo wrote an extensive manual on how to set it up: >>  https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22272/~/how-to-set-up-a-routers-port-forwarding-for-a-nintendo-switch-console

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Nintendo Switch NAT types:

Depending on your ISP and network setup, you will be encountering either of these 5 NAT types (A, B, C, D and F) on your Nintendo Switch unit:

NAT Type A:

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit can communicate online seamlessly.

NAT Type B:

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit can communicate online, with minor restrictions.

Ideally, your Nintendo Switch unit needs to be at either NAT Type A or B to play with other people online.

NAT Type C :

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit is facing a moderate level of restrictions while communicating online.

NAT Type D :

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit is facing a moderate level of restrictions. NAT Type D units can only communicate with other Switch units with NAT Type A. 

NAT Type F:

This status indicates that your Nintendo Switch unit cannot communicate with other devices and can’t play with any other people online. Consider changing either your network or router configuration with port forwarding or a VPN.

I’m using a BT Homehub and it won’t let me open the same ports for use on more than one device; I’ve already done a load of port forwarding for my Xbox and the Switch needs the same ports open, so the only option was to put the Switch into a DMZ, which still gives me B on a wired connection. A is open via WiFi.  Very annoying! 

4 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

You might have a better type A, through port forwarding.

It's a very common problem apparently, and Nintendo wrote an extensive manual on how to set it up: >>  https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22272/~/how-to-set-up-a-routers-port-forwarding-for-a-nintendo-switch-console

Cheers for that, I’ll have a look. Battling against the NAT is a pet hate of mine, spent so many hours on different routers down the years eventually getting an open/A NAT, but I’ve less time and patience these days. 

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

... and the Switch needs the same ports open

Right. Didn't know that, as I don't have an Xbox. Yeah, seems like DMZ is the only other option then. I had the same problem though. DMZ >> NAT type B. Fixed it by port forwarding following the manual in the link above - didn't know about the Xbox obviously.

4 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Right. Didn't know that, as I don't have an Xbox. Yeah, seems like DMZ is the only other option then. I had the same problem though. DMZ >> NAT type B. Fixed it by port forwarding, but didn't know about the Xbox obviously.

I guess I could try putting the Xbox into DMZ and the switch in the port forwarding profile. It’s probably a limitation of the BT router maybe. 

12 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Yeah. Ramp the sensitivity to maximum.

Yup, that's the usual advice. Takes some getting used to, but worth persevering.

Assuming control sensitivity is the same as in 2.

It's worth importing your S2 save to get the 3 gold tickets - each allows you to buy one item of weaponry way before you are of sufficient level to buy it normally. So you can bring in your favourite classes early.

I like how you can grind out whichever Ability Chunks take your fancy with the surplus XP. That’s very welcome.

The specials seem very team-focused. Like they need to be combo’d if they’re going to pose much threat. Individually they’re all a bit weak. I’m using the Tri-Zooka to counter the Crab Tank currently, it’s super satisfying blowing them up Javelin-style. That’s the only use I can find for it currently, the accuracy doesn’t seem to be there for blowing up regular players.

Salmon Run is way better now. All the little things add up. Being able to throw eggs to your team really speeds things up. That new megaboss is great as well, although I’ve yet to beat him after two attempts - it’s a real spike. The grind seems to be a little faster now as well. I reached 1200+ points after just 90mins and won loads of stuff.

Some people are proper tooled up already with some cool/strange gear. I know some of it is classic Amiibo stuff, but I’ve no idea where the rest is coming from. I just managed to complete a set of 2-slot items, then had to call it a night (lvl 8). Maybe I’ve been spoiled with restarting Splatoon 2 at the end of it’s life, but this one feels like it needs quite a few more weapons (and items in general) out the gate. I’ve purchased everything other than all the guns and I still have 120,000 left. I’ve been buying some tat for my locker too, but I don’t know where to find that yet. 🤣

That’s another thing, they’ve made player levels somewhat private, so no more laughing at that level 90+ rank C- player. I’m not sure what to think about that. As you’re no longer able to be (as) judgmental there’s also no scope for any e-peening either - like I mentioned earlier the post-match points leaderboard is the last screen before you exit to the lobby and I can see most not paying it much attention, whereas on 2 (and 1) it was upfront and right in your face immediately after the results were tallied.

One thing I do know is that this differentiates itself from Splatoon 2 so much that it still keeps that game relevant, and I can definitely see myself going back when I fancy a break from this one. 3 definitely feels like much more of a team game so far. It’s like when WoW brought in the Cataclysm expansion, you couldn’t enjoy things as much by yourself with the way the system was balanced.

The card game is pretty great too. It’s so satisfying being able to rack up your special slots in order to turn the tables and cover a load of the opponent’s squares mid-late game. I had a number of good matches with a Japanese player just now and also unlocked a couple of packs. Building the deck is probably going to be lots of fun too, as I can imagine having to mentally jigsaw the square configurations for combo potential. The whole thing could quite easily be a stand-alone budget release.

• strawdonkey changed the title to Splatoon 3 - it's here!