Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

Ive had a new switch since playing splatoon 2, and as the save wont transfer just had a quick go on splatoon 2 to make a save, which was enough to get the golden tickets. Worked out well as ive not played in ages so will be rubbish so didnt want the rank to transfer anyway.

5 hours ago, spatular said:

Ive had a new switch since playing splatoon 2, and as the save wont transfer just had a quick go on splatoon 2 to make a save, which was enough to get the golden tickets. Worked out well as ive not played in ages so will be rubbish so didnt want the rank to transfer anyway.

Wish I’d been able to do that. I was somehow level 21 on Splatoon 2 and have been getting absolutely creamed in Turf War on the new game so far! Haven’t played for so long that I’ve lost all modicum of skill. 

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Wish I’d been able to do that. I was somehow level 21 on Splatoon 2 and have been getting absolutely creamed in Turf War on the new game so far! Haven’t played for so long that I’ve lost all modicum of skill. 

For some reason I can’t explain the combat on Turf War is way more direct. It can’t be the map design because it’s happening on the old maps too. Sitting back and painting your own half isn’t even an option anymore. You have to splat, or get splatted. It feels like you have a C.O. behind you blowing a whistle in your ear sending you over the top every spawn. That’s how most people played Turf War after a few level ups anyway, after all that’s how you win, but it’s definitely forced here. 

The dynamic is massively different than Splatoon 2. I couldn’t possibly disagree with that NintendoLife ‘review’ any further.

8 minutes ago, dataDave said:

For some reason I can’t explain the combat on Turf War is way more direct. It can’t be the map design because it’s happening on the old maps too. Sitting back and painting your own half isn’t even an option anymore. You have to splat, or get splatted.

I honestly think it's because we've been stratified from launch by the save data import - in every game everyone has known what they are doing - for me, it's been more difficult than the beta, so it completely aligns.

I’m not sure. I noticed it on the beta as well. Being launched into the map aids a great deal as well, as there isn’t as much of a safe haven any more.

Perhaps being day one is a large factor. My friends list is hardly brimming with people playing this. It seems like only the big Splatoon fans are eager for it.

8 hours ago, spatular said:

I don't think level transfers - I was 45* after 2 resets and started on L1 and had to hit 4 to purchase stuff, like everyone else. The golden tickets from the imported save allow you to get access to three weapons early on.

So you can spot returnees because they'll have the good weapons, right now.

It looks like the clothing shops will now upgrade your gear slots, too; that was on offer for the squid earphones I started with.

It’s good but it very much feels like more of the same to me.

I was never especially good at this, always playing causal rather than ranked but I imported my save data for the weapon tokens and I’m wondering if the hours I played as put me up against much better players. Sort of wish I hadn’t now. That said

Spoiler

When I saw my previous inkling in campaign mode I said “Fucking YES” quite loudly.

I imagine if you're coming back to Splatoon after a long time away it feels more difficult because there are fewer genuine newcomers. After the initial settling-in period for Splatoon 2, which brought *a lot* of new players to the series, Turf War gradually got tougher, albeit never so much as the ranked modes which obviously a lot of the more skilful players gravitated towards. As a lot of Splatoon veterans start qualifying for Anarchy Battles (it takes a little while to reach Lv 10, after all) you'll see the challenge level off a little.  

I’ve been caning up to ranked A/S on 2 over the past two weeks and Turf War is way more immediate here, even as opposed to playing with level 50s on the previous game. It feels like it could qualify as a ranked mode now. The specials are especially tuned towards cooperative use.

One thing’s for certain, these network conditions are absolute dog shit.

It's a bit weird that your precious S2 save doesn't carry over any data to Salmon Run either. 

It's has a very sedate start when you're back at Apprentice again. Don't think I ever dropped below the hardest level on Splatoon 2 after reaching it. 

13 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Pros swear by it I think. Casuals like me turn them off ;)

13 hours ago, tobert said:

Noob question as someone who hasn't played the first too much? Am I missing out not using motion controls? I found them fiddly so turned off after half an hour.

When I first stated playing Splatoon, I saw the advice to play it as you would a normal FPS, but use the motion control as a fine tune to your aim. 

I’m not a pro by a long way, but I messed around in the test area for quite a while. Motion control takes a bit if getting used to, but once you do, it’s almost like using a mouse to aim. 

Salmon run and the single player might be a good idea to try to get your aim better. 

I’d try and stick with the motion controls as when it does click there’s no going back ☺️

I love the music so much in these games, I’d probably even go to the concerts if they did them over here 🙈😂

The replays are awesome! It’s great fun to change the camera to overhead and watch the game unfold. 

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

It’s good but it very much feels like more of the same to me.

I was never especially good at this, always playing causal rather than ranked but I imported my save data for the weapon tokens and I’m wondering if the hours I played as put me up against much better players. Sort of wish I hadn’t now. That said

Hide contents

When I saw my previous inkling in campaign mode I said “Fucking YES” quite loudly.

Yeah, I wish I’d started from scratch too.

Have been playing quite a lot of Salmon Run and they seem to have added loads of little improvements to it.  Only 2 maps so far but can't wait to try the rest.

BUT

BUT

BUT

What have they done to the Grizzco music?!?! 😭

It's the same tune but remixed and massively "turned down", just not the same 😭😭😭

The little celebratory 'pogo' players do at the end of matches by quickly going into the ink with 'L' doesn't work as well either. 😢

13 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Almost everything I'm seeing is either about being gay or pro life, for some reason. It's a cool feature but I'm kind of surprised Nintendo is alright with it.

I’ve seen pro choice ones. Didn’t have the pro lifers down as splatoon fans tbh

Eagerly awaiting the 'pro life' vs 'pro choice' Splatfest.

15 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

This is so smoooooth. Feels like a locked 60*. The UI is bloody gorgeous as always. 

* in game

Yeah, it just feels polished to the Nth degree. The only drops I've noticed are for a second or so right at the start of a round loading where it doesn't matter at all. I know it's got dynamic resolution going on but it feels like it's at the upper end for the vast majority of the time because it doesn't look absolute dogger sat close to a 4k screen like a lot of Switch games. I feel like Nintendo's antialiasing allergy probably helps since you're not further blurring and stretching edges that have already been blurred.

The little QoL improvements everywhere really add up as well, especially the way the new stages are announced.

51 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I just saw that one!

Also “autism outlived the Queen” and this respectful post

0CFFB760-597A-4BCC-B54E-EC8F8A34C430.jpeg

I don’t remember seeing anything offensive on the previous games. I’ll be reporting any I see. I’ve got lots of “I like/kiss men”, it’s not offensive as such, but I don’t know why they feel the need to tell us. There was a load of stuff going on on Reddit about one of the announcers being non-binary then an uproar when Nintendo mentioned she identifies as a girl, so I think maybe Splatoon has a big following of certain groups. I’d just rather it be child friendly than a place to air views on society etc.