Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

21 minutes ago, Stevo said:

At times I was doing laps just to find the blighters.

A good team will fan out and use the 'This way' emote as soon as soon as one of them spots the first incursion - the first boss salmonid usually lands from that direction. That's 'up' on the D-pad.

Otherwise, you should get into the habit of doing laps every so often - you need to keep an eye open for bosses coming in from the other side of the map. Look for vantage points that give you a good view over a wide area.

Don't forget you have two uses of a special in case things get hairy - often when there are a bunch of bosses in play, to take one down quickly.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

What setting do you use for stick and motion control sensitivity btw?

Motion, with both that and stick on maximum sensitivity. That’s still nowhere near sensitive enough, either. Quick panning still needs both stick control and flicks of the pad at the same time. 😕

6 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Not me BTW but check out this Wipeout. 

I've only ever done this once before in Splatoon 1 with a grenade special.  

I got a Tri-Zooka wipeout which included an enemy Crab Tank. It was a self-sacrifice though so I felt dirty posting it. 😅 

7 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Not me BTW but check out this Wipeout. 

I've only ever done this once before in Splatoon 1 with a grenade special.  

Done it with a Splashdown, which I think Reefslider replaces. Done a few 3-squid splats with the 'slider so far.

Was trying out a few different weapons in turf war last night and also looking at doing some ranked matches to get rid of that horrible B- default ranking 😆

Oh my the bloblobber (lv19 unlock so I used a golden ticket to get it) is so much fun!  I've never really used a slosher style before but going to be using this quite a bit especially in some of the ranked match types.

I am also trying out learning new weapons. I played all of Splatoon 2 with the Aerospray but have been learning the Tri Stringer which I find great for Tower Control and trying to keep at midrange and leading shots. Also trying motion control with just a long range blaster for more precision shooting. And finally dualies for hi-tempo in-your-face action.

I'm not usually a fan of Nintendo polish at expense of innovation, but the gameplay here is still so unique to everything else in the market, that this complete package is really hitting all the right buttons for me.

Each win on this is a proper punch the air moment. I’ve not felt this way since beating each of the staff ghosts on F-Zero GX. I’m absolutely sweating my nuts off.

Then this goes and happens!

5-0, only 239 points. 😕 Thought I'd get insta-promoted for a moment. Me and my boy were up jumping and shouting like we'd won the World Cup or something.

Oh, here's that tri-zooka wipeout I was on about earlier:

New wrinkle for Clam Blitz - I've only tested this in recon mode, but it looks like you can now super-jump back to your base with clams/clam ball without losing them.

So you can jump back to safety, wait for your team to regroup or make a surge for the target, then jump back to the attack.

Completed the campaign, which was mostly very good. It’s a lot more balanced and generally a lot more fun than 2. That said, the final boss in his different stages was really no fun. I don’t think he’s especially hard but it relied on a lot of trial and error and hard for the sake of it sections. The second phase doesn’t really explain the controls properly and it commits one of the worst videogame final boss crimes, shit that Nintendo have pulled before

not particularly spoilery but just in case

Spoiler

The second phase of the boss is on a timer. During the fight you have to destroy 4 targets in a set order. After each one is destroyed you are moved to the next one and have no control over getting there. The timer ticks down regardless and it is quite easy to get to a point of say, a minute left on the clock, where you won’t be able to do it but you can’t restart, only quit. And that means doing the final section - 3 states, basically -  all over again for some reason.

According to Reddit the rankings are going to get reset every three months. This keeps things fresh for the higher-rated players, while offering people who want to get better the chance at playing against the best there is.

Anyone who’s intimidated by that should probably just avoid ranked mode for the first week of each season, until the matchmaking stabilises. That’s if this is all true, of course. There are currently S2 X-rank players struggling to get out of B, so that gives me some hope.

Progress up the ranking in single-game Anarchy matches seems painfully slow; they’ve clearly rethought that entire progression, so I'm not surprised.

I dropped from S+8-ish across the modes to around A/S when I relaxed into more casual play towards the end. And those lower-ranked games were often way more fun to play. It could work. Or it could put newbies off forever.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

According to Reddit the rankings are going to get reset every three months. This keeps things fresh for the higher-rated players, while offering people who want to get better the chance at playing against the best there is.

There is already a concept of seasons in the catalog, it's currently Drizzle Season up til 1st Dec which also points to a 3 monthly cycle.

Screenshot_20220913-101811.thumb.png.adfe63f84ae0a9856a0460e38dfd798e.png

I never got to that level but wasn't there a regular reset on X Rank in Splatoon 2? Perhaps they are going to have a wider reset in 3, Rank X is apparently not in S3 yet so assume a lot of this will be coming in an update.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

Anyone who’s intimidated by that should probably just avoid ranked mode for the first week of each season, until the matchmaking stabilises. That’s if this is all true, of course. There are currently S2 X-rank players struggling to get out of B, so that gives me some hope.

S2 veterans were started in B- and newbies at C- so players totally new to splatoon were at least 'protected' for a bit from the more experienced players.

Something else that's different this time is that you have a single 'combined' rank for the Anarchy series as a whole rather than the separate ranks for each of the game types in S2.   I was always worst at Clam Blitz so having them all in one could end up dragging my rank down a bit.

Yeah, I spotted all that. I’m loving that catalogue as an additional set of rewards for grinding matches.

It’d be nice if they dish out some permanent rewards for your seasonal standings once they’re finalised. Some titles/banners you can flex would be perfect. WoW used to do this, and I’m guessing many other competitive games since.

In other news I managed to rake in 200K+ from just over an hour of Salmon Run last night. Now I’m tempted to spend 101010 of it on a lux holographic sticker for my locker. 😆

2 hours ago, dataDave said:

In other news I managed to rake in 200K+ from just over an hour of Salmon Run last night. Now I’m tempted to spend 101010 of it on a lux holographic sticker for my locker. 😆

How did you manage that? The spawning ground map is really tight, even more so when its a high tide and/ or foggy so I was really struggling to even complete all 3 rounds most of the time yesterday and I lost my Profreshional rating 😢.  High tide or fog in a Griller round is like an instant wipeout on that map too! 😆

I did get another crack at King Salmonid though.  Ran out of time before he was dead just like the previous times he appeared but I did get a gold scale this time so I guess we got him closer to going down.

Also had a new type of special round for the first time, something that wasn't in S2 so won't spoil it.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

£38 quid on Currys with a code. £12 is a lot of convenience tax so I've gone physical. Fuck it, who needs money and/or time?

I actually left the house and went to 3 shops in Sheffield (that were close as my car was running out of electricity...) and none had it.  So I had to go digital. 

But in my mind I offset this by getting a 2nd hand £35 Pro Controller...

giphy.gif

Had a better session this evening. Someone disconnected immediately in the first match which I reckon did me out of the bonus exp for the first round of the day, but it was all uphill after that.

Cranking the sensitivity may have helped, or perhaps I was dealt noob opponents in Turf Wars. 😅 Getting close to level ten now and all that opens up with that. Even suited up and did some work for Grizzco--with no losses!--so that's me up to Go-Getter status now. I got the same hat twice (!) from the prizes there, so I just agreed to trade them in. Hope that was the best decision. Still have no Grizzco currency yet.