Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

14 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

What opens up at level ten then? Because I’m finding Turf War pretty hateful. Loving me some hard graft for Papa Grizz though.

Ranked (Anarchy) battles. So Splat Zones, Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz modes. Turf War is chilled out in comparison.

But you might prefer the gameplay in those modes - they're more focussed on specific objectives.

I prefer Clam Blitz - it's the most complex, with more room for clever tactical play. It was basically all I played for the last year of S2.

14 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

What opens up at level ten then? Because I’m finding Turf War pretty hateful. Loving me some hard graft for Papa Grizz though.

If you are a returning player (imported an S2 save) then anarchy battle (ranked mode) is open from the start, if you are new then you need to get to Lv 10 first.  This has been a usual thing in splatoon to get players familiar with the game before going to the more competitive ranked matches.

I still love Turf War, I tend to do quite a bit of base painting/ general focus on coverage but also go after some splats too.  Had a great run of 9 matches late last night with 8 wins and 1 disconnection draw!  There is a great Badge awarded for 50 Turf War Wins which I unlocked too. :wub:

Typical performance for me would be something like:

Screenshot_20220914-105013.thumb.png.cef990fe4f12debcae44f994b8c8b199.png

The SplatNet 3 part of the Nintendo Online app is pretty good for giving you access to more stats than you get in game.  In particular for Salmon Run where it even tells you how many of each type of Boss Salmonids were defeated and how many of those were by you.  The numbers that appear in angled braces in the match reports e.g. <2> represent 'assists' which is a nice addition.

14 hours ago, Strafe said:

Had my first kaiju salmon run (or whatever the big bastard is called). I’d forgotten that from the direct so it was a cool surprise. It’s also the first time I got rewarded with any currency (silver and bronze coins, can’t buy anything still)

King Salmonid Cohozuna!

I've had him appear 3 times so far with no actual success in killing him, we've run out of time with him still having about 33 to 50% health each time.

From those I've had 25 bronze, 1 silver and 1 gold scale coin or whatever those things are so only thing i've bought has been the Grizzco Splashtag Banner that costs 10 bronze

4 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

King Salmonid Cohozuna!

I've had him appear 3 times so far with no actual success in killing him, we've run out of time with him still having about 33 to 50% health each time.

Twice for me, but we killed him the first time - trick seemed to be to take the boss Salmonids around him down quickly and hurl their golden eggs at him.

8 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

The numbers that appear in angled braces in the match reports e.g. <2> represent 'assists' which is a nice addition.

Ahah! Good to know, thanks! I get a few assists from my habit of lobbing ink grenades in when I see it kick off.

I'm up Profreshonal +2, or whatever it is, and it's fucking impossible trying to contend with 6+ bosses at the same time with him belly flopping about - especially on the smaller maps. Those flying bastards that fire the missiles are the worst because you have to wait for them to open their flaps before you can lob grenades in, but you can't exactly ignore or even pass on them temporarily because those rockets are insta-doom for everyone.

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What are the conditions for him turning up?

You grind until his meter is full on the lobby UI, then you gotta clear all three phases of your next shift.

10 minutes ago, dataDave said:

I'm up Profreshonal +2, or whatever it is, and it's fucking impossible trying to contend with 6+ bosses at the same time with him belly flopping about - especially on the smaller maps. Those flying bastards that fire the missiles are the worst because you have to wait for them to open their flaps before you can lob grenades in, but you can't exactly ignore or even pass on them temporarily because those rockets are insta-doom for everyone.

Yeah, I hate Flyfish, the exploding ink bombs that come out of the heads of the Steelhead are a right pain in a similar way.

10 minutes ago, dataDave said:

You grind until his meter is full on the lobby UI, then you gotta clear all three phases of your next shift.

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I did big boss salmonid first time (well, me and my team did.) 

What are the conditions for him turning up?

If you look at your Grizzo stats (talk to Grizz and rather than joining a job press 'Y' to go to 'Rewards & Points') there is a "Salmometer" that fills up.  Not sure how it handles the meter of the others in your party, perhaps it prioritises matching you with players that all have it at the same level?

Apologies for my lowly ranking, was having a right 'mare with the small maps the other day, average waves went from 2.7 to 1.3!! 😆

FcnIV-vakAAY4XB.thumb.jpeg.f42ad7c675d8ecf0320e1dbd3696f38a.jpeg

FcnIV-qakAEQep4.thumb.jpeg.9e1495ff4637a5e372eba2ce421168e6.jpeg

45 minutes ago, smac said:

Twice for me, but we killed him the first time - trick seemed to be to take the boss Salmonids around him down quickly and hurl their golden eggs at him.

I think most people don't yet know about throwing the golden eggs at him.

Spoiler

I didn't know about throwing the golden eggs at him! 🤣

Is anyone playing the single player? I love it, I’m not sure why it feels much better than Splatoon 2, but it does. I think it just feels much more fully developed and complete. It also looks fantastic, definitely one of the nicest looking Switch games, and 60fps to boot. 

My only criticism is that I wish it had some kind of local multiplayer mode that didn’t require two copies of the game. 

40 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Those flying bastards that fire the missiles are the worst because you have to wait for them to open their flaps before you can lob grenades in,

I *think* the jetpack special can take them down if you hit them dead centre; I could be wrong - it certainly takes out their open magazines immediately without the delay of a grenade.

Also, S3 is more unforgiving than S2; it's harder to get the grenades in without them rolling out. Same goes for Maws - the radius for having your grenade swallowed seems smaller.

47 minutes ago, smac said:

I *think* the jetpack special can take them down if you hit them dead centre; I could be wrong - it certainly takes out their open magazines immediately without the delay of a grenade.

Also, S3 is more unforgiving than S2; it's harder to get the grenades in without them rolling out. Same goes for Maws - the radius for having your grenade swallowed seems smaller.

I noticed that. Also, in my desperation I found that regular ink seems to down them as well, but you have to land it in there perfectly. They’re a right pain.

4 hours ago, smac said:

But you might prefer the gameplay in those modes - they're more focussed on specific objectives.

I prefer Clam Blitz - it's the most complex, with more room for clever tactical play. It was basically all I played for the last year of S2.

Yes this, I like objective based modes. I’ve never really liked straight deathmatch games, albeit with a twist in this case.

Well:

• Splat Zones you have to hold and defend territory; one or two zones. You claim them by covering them in ink, then defend them against the opposition.
  • Tower Control you have to claim a moving platform, and stay on it long enough to reach the opponent's end zone. Only one person needs to be on it for it to move, but it stops every so often.
  • Rainmaker is Carry the Flag. Only the flag is a very heavy ink mortar.
  • Clam Blitz is ... a sports game. There is a goal, but it's blocked by default. Collect ten clams (they spawn in threes) to build a large ball that opens it up if thrown into the goal. After that, your teammates can throw in single clams to get 3pts each. Until the goal closes again (each clam scores sets the timer back a very short time, so it can be kept open if you can keep up the scoring).

1 hour ago, smac said:

Well:

• Splat Zones you have to hold and defend territory; one or two zones. You claim them by covering them in ink, then defend them against the opposition.
  • Tower Control you have to claim a moving platform, and stay on it long enough to reach the opponent's end zone. Only one person needs to be on it for it to move, but it stops every so often.
  • Rainmaker is Carry the Flag. Only the flag is a very heavy ink mortar.
  • Clam Blitz is ... a sports game. There is a goal, but it's blocked by default. Collect ten clams (they spawn in threes) to build a large ball that opens it up if thrown into the goal. After that, your teammates can throw in single clams to get 3pts each. Until the goal closes again (each clam scores sets the timer back a very short time, so it can be kept open if you can keep up the scoring).

That all sounds good! I look forward to trying them all out.

I’m still only level 7. Getting up to ten feels a hell of a grind with the stingy payout for losses.

There were vids for it [Clam Blitz] in 2, but it's difficult to learn. I love it.

Both teams have a goal near their own spawn point. Dotted around the place are small clams - more spawn throughout the game. You pick these up by running/swimming over them - they trail behind you. You can throw a clam to a teammate using the A button.

If you splat an opponent, you get to pick up some of their clams.

The goals are initially closed. When you pick up a 10th clam, all your clams transform into a giant rugby ball/American football, which can be seen for a mile, does not disappear when you swim, and is marked by an icon on the X map. Your job is then to get that to the opponent's goal and throw it to hit it. That opens up the goal for scoring.

If you get splatted when carrying a giant ball, it disappears after a short time.

Your teammates then score by throwing in individual clams or giant balls, whatever they have, while the goal is open. It's on a timer, and will close - throwing in a clam adds a little time to that, as well as scoring points.

When your goal closes after the other team scores, a giant ball drops automatically so you can start with a goal attack. But remember, if you pick it up and get splatted too soon, it will disappear and you'll be back to picking up clams.

So it's a game of attack and defence, with various strategies

1 minute ago, Nathan Wind said:

That all sounds good! I look forward to trying them all out.

I’m still only level 7. Getting up to ten feels a hell of a grind with the stingy payout for losses.

If you're lucky, a daily capsule from the gatcha machine in the lobby, or from Salmon run, may give you an XP bonus ticket (little up-bending arrows on it). Go to the snack booth in the lobby and exchange it for a meal - that will give you an XP boost.

Had some joy working the Salmon Run (came a cropper when the "conga" boss appeared) and got some bronze currency from it too. But it was too manic so I hopped over to Turf Wars where the good guys were schooled three times in a row. Oof. The opposition were right up in our third immediately in all three matches--I'd no time to get into it. :( Level ten will have to wait. I just want to play some chill games, man.

Clam blitz once you get your head round it is fantastic. Plus remember you can super jump to another player once you have the giant ball. A tactic that gets a few players.

Rainmaker now has two points to score which makes it so much better.

Honestly the multiplayer in this is so much fun and once you get to ranked you will never look back.

Plus horde mode with fish . What more do you want.

XP boost is the way to go for getting to level 10. Thanks for the tip. Really starting to gel with this tonight. A mental shift from treating it as a deathmatch to treating it as a scenery painting sim has seen me to the top of the scoreboard pretty much every game, which makes a huge difference in combination with the booster. Is there ever a point where you can choose to mix and match specials with weapons? I really like the Splattershot Pro, but I can’t do without the hilarity of the Reefslider that comes with the Aerospray.

23 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Is there ever a point where you can choose to mix and match specials with weapons? I really like the Splattershot Pro, but I can’t do without the hilarity of the Reefslider that comes with the Aerospray.

You need the free updates to start rolling in which bring the weapon variants.

Q: if I scrub a t-shirt with 3 ability slots, do I get 3 Ability Chunks?

Also, what's the deal with having the same ability 2/3 times? Is there any upside/downside to it?  My headphones have unlocked 2 of the same...

Seems as if the 2nd ability only adds 0.3? I think I've answered my own question...