Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

I bought Splatoon 2 at launch and I enjoyed it. Was never able to devote time to become particularly good online although I did enjoy the communal experience of the Splatfests. I thought the single-player campaign was good as well.

Is it worth me getting 3? I still won't be able to devote that much time to online play. I'll dip in and out. I feel like although I'll find aspects of it fun the game really isn't made for, me.

Thoughts?

Hmmm, I just can't seem to get my head around motion controls when using a controller. 
I default straight away to attempting to aim with the stick and not moving the controller around at all. 

I'm having far better luck using split-joy cons and actually pointing at the screen with the right one. Anyone else play the game this way?

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

I bought Splatoon 2 at launch and I enjoyed it. Was never able to devote time to become particularly good online although I did enjoy the communal experience of the Splatfests. I thought the single-player campaign was good as well.

Is it worth me getting 3? I still won't be able to devote that much time to online play. I'll dip in and out. I feel like although I'll find aspects of it fun the game really isn't made for, me.

Thoughts?

I think you'd get about the same out of S3 as you did from S2 but with a bit more polish and obviously the updates/ userbase that will be with S3 for the next couple of years.

In S3 the single player is also good, salmon run has some nice improvements and there is also the new tableturf game too.  There will also be the regular splatfests in S3.

44 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Hmmm, I just can't seem to get my head around motion controls when using a controller. 
I default straight away to attempting to aim with the stick and not moving the controller around at all. 

I'm having far better luck using split-joy cons and actually pointing at the screen with the right one. Anyone else play the game this way?

I've never got on with motion controls in the splatoon series and always just use normal controls.  Being forced to do the intro section again (it was also in the splatfest demo) with them on was not what I wanted when I first booted the game on launch day! 😡

Been trying the Reef-Lux 450 Stringer - that actually inks a lot of ground in Turf War; and a charged shot can be a 1-hit splat. Can't get to grips with the charge retention - doesn't seem to keep for long enough. It's great for ambushing super-jump landing spots.

Curling Bomb and Tenta Missiles are decent for sub/special.

11 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Does anyone know this, or is it random or something?  Needing 10 chunks to add one ability with Much is brutal....

If you scrub anything those chunks are gone forever. It just opens them up for you to level up again into potentially something more desirable.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

You have to really flick the pro controller left and right for fast turning. Yeah, split joycon are quite a bit faster at first.

Also, for facing a particular direction really quickly (like a 180 quick-turn) face the direction with the control stick and tap Y, you can stab any direction on the stick and it'll face there instantly. It's a good habit to get into.

3 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Q: if I scrub a t-shirt with 3 ability slots, do I get 3 Ability Chunks?

Does anyone know this, or is it random or something?  Needing 10 chunks to add one ability with Much is brutal....

If you are after specific chunks then you can use the drinks tickets at Crusty Sean's food and drink stand to help out a bit if you have the right tickets

2 hours ago, dataDave said:

If you scrub anything those chunks are gone forever. It just opens them up for you to level up again into potentially something more desirable.

The removed chunks are not lost, they are collected and you can use them with Merch to add specific skills to slots.

If you talk to merch you can see how many you have (press 'R') and they can be earned in other ways too like from the shell-out gatcha machine

FcswMolaMAUibi0.thumb.jpeg.a0653379b713809214b533f108a41f6a.jpeg

2 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Ah great, I didn't spot that. I don't mind scrubbing repeatedly then refarming if that's the case.

It's 20k to scrub which is a bit too much early on and only ever worth it on gear with 3 slots in my opinion.  (Also I need the coin to buy stickers and tat from Hotlantis to decorate my locker!! 😂).

Hopefully scrubbing will be a lot cheaper on the splatfest tee like it was in S2.

Also worth noting that once a piece of gear is 'full' it continues to get XP during matches and you get a chunk each time it levels.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

You have to really flick the pro controller left and right for fast turning. Yeah, split joycon are quite a bit faster at first.

Also, for facing a particular direction really quickly (like a 180 quick-turn) face the direction with the control stick and tap Y, you can stab any direction on the stick and it'll face there instantly. It's a good habit to get into.

Yeah, It's real good. Althought when using a Pro controller, I just completely forget about the motion controls. Can't get my head around it. 
As soon as I'm using split joy cons, it's like I'm aiming with a wii mote and it's loads of fun doing so! 

2 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Also worth noting that once a piece of gear is 'full' it continues to get XP during matches and you get a chunk each time it levels.

Now that's new - was only splatfest Ts that did that in 2, I think.

I agree about the 20K to scrub - way better to wait until you have three-star gear to scrub.

I’m absolutely loving this as the moment, it’s just so perfect. 5 mins of fun repeated over and over again, with a perfect meld of great graphics and sound, intuitive but deep gameplay and a just one more go levelling up system. 

Game of the year by some distance and don’t the millions of Japanese players know it. 

Ranking is much more palatable from A. When we lose it feels deserved. Everyone knows how to cover each other and you rarely seem to find anyone suiciding into groups. There’s no where near as much random bullshit as before.

You only really need two out of five series wins to progress slowly. Striving for more helps speed things along of course, but it seems to take terrible luck to see five really good teams in a row.

Anyone intimidated by ranked just stick at it. It takes time to click, but when it does it’s glorious. It’s overwhelming to the senses.

Update is available this morning.  Patch details: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/09/splatoon-3-version-1-1-1-update-now-live-here-are-the-full-patch-notes

A couple of the biggies are:

• Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of battles due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue where cash and experience were not being awarded in certain circumstances when a battle ended early due to a lack of players.

Some things have also appeared in the square, I guess they are related to the upcoming splatfest?

Spoiler

FcxEMAGaUAENuur.thumb.jpeg.b94c928af35d2920b86f18bb768bb162.jpeg

FcxEMAfacAUPWll.thumb.jpeg.616cbcd601b70eba3a0c5c79caed1665.jpeg

FcxEMAOaEAIsVFS.thumb.jpeg.4a11e976c66b094984e8f50737059f05.jpeg

Ahh, those moments where you get a strat going with your buddies and it's absolutely impenetrable. Then it's just a matter of zenning out to the routine and keeping on top of your ink whilst the music digs its way deeper into the workings of your brain.

Speaking of the music. I really liked Splatoon's music. Then I LOVED Splatoon 2's music. I'd convinced myself they wouldn't be able to better that for the third game (I was also initially worried about them recycling Splatoon's main theme) but then here we are - they've completely surpassed any prior expectation.

Another really nice touch are the lobby DJs playing the classics over the PA. This tune came on last night and it's the first time I've listened to it since 2015 (which was the start of our final year in Singapore). The memories!:

1 minute ago, StumpyJohn said:

Some things have also appeared in the square, I guess they are related to the upcoming splatfest?

Yup. They show the preparations for dressing the square. They used to do it in 1 and 2. It's a small touch, but a nice one.

They were in the free Splatfest demo they put out last month, if you logged in early to get set up.

10 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I’m with big man on this, team FUN. 

You can make your own fun and forage for food.  Shiver is right.  Gear all the way, you IDIOT HOLE*.

8 hours ago, Superunknown said:

PSA for anyone wanting the Annaki Blue Cuff (aka my favourite clothing). It's available from the Splatnet store for the next 6 hours.

4309131d905a2105ac23481bef27baae.jpg

It looks like Freddy Krueger's jumper, that is epic.  

Spoiler

❤️

This is so good that I can't help slipping in the odd game whenever I find myself with a little bit of time. 

TEAM FUN for next weekend of course. I figure I'm so useless that no amount of gear or food would save me on an island anyway so I may as well enjoy myself. 

On 15/09/2022 at 15:22, Strafe said:

Just got booted from a match with literally 1 second left on the clock.

Imagine dropping 120 ranked pts on a Series entry fee, then having a DC on the final game with four wins and two losses already stamped...

You lose the series, your 120 point fee, and you get nothing for those four wins. That's happened to me twice now.