Splatoon 3 - it's here!

strawdonkey

18 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Imagine dropping 120 ranked pts on a Series entry fee, then having a DC on the final game with four wins and two losses already stamped...

You lose the series, your 120 point fee, and you get nothing for those four wins. That's happened to me twice now.

Oof. I genuinely resent paying for Nintendo Switch online and getting P2P instead of dedicated multiplayer servers.

Glad it’s not just me.

Anyway, I’ve noticed a pretty big issue with my matchmaking now. After failing my S-rank promotion battles I’m still being paired with S and S+ players. I’m now sat on -600 points and it’s extremely difficult to play well at all. It’s honestly around five times more difficult than A rank should be.

A- to A+ was a piece of piss. Now I hardly win at all.

4 hours ago, Jolly said:

This is so good that I can't help slipping in the odd game whenever I find myself with a little bit of time. 

TEAM FUN for next weekend of course. I figure I'm so useless that no amount of gear or food would save me on an island anyway so I may as well enjoy myself. 

Plus it's Big Man. Has to be done.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I know you get freshness for using a weapon a lot (and a sheldon ticket with it) but how do you tell what your weapon rating is (or know which ones you can level up)?

You can see it in the equip menu.  Then go onto weapons and hit ZL twice to see the back of the weapon details card, Freshness rating is at the top.

As an example my Aerospray MG is a 4 at the mo and will be for a while as its a very long way to 5!!

Fc4qNJSaEAAFj9M.thumb.jpeg.6fb37f1c89314a864c7b9ef9a0c499e5.jpeg

You get a star and a gift each time it levels up:

Sheldon Ticket

Sticker

Fancier Sticker

Badge

Fancier Badge 

33 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Cheapish copy showed up. Splatoon, innit. It's great. Accidentally bought Splat Dualies so I guess I'm learning those but the first thing I bought with my Wonka ticket was the N Zap. God I love that weapon.

Tip for dualies - you should be able to drop roll when landing a super jump. I.e. immediately pull a roll on landing so you move out of danger. Can turn the tables on an ambusher.

I have one gold ticket left; I should use it soon, but not sure what weapon I want to get early.

Got my own Reefslider wipeout now. xD

3 hours ago, Stevo said:

Won't say no if you wanna level me! :D

Added.

Also, going back to Turf War after getting fukt hard all week by S-rank people be like R923-2SUD-6DL8-PQ0X (replay featuring @Eighthours, you can view it from the terminal in the lobby).

Low key love the wavebreaker - just there chipping away at your defense and/or distraction.

My insistence to sticking with motion this week has payed off - I don't notice it anymore and although not feeling quicker with left/right tracking - up/down tracking and throwing bombs - I've significantly improved.

Also Team Fun - got my Splatfest Big Man picture ready to roll!

Also you can change your main on the Splatfest tee with chunks at Murch - don't have to go with doubler.

1 hour ago, smac said:

Oh, that's interesting. Ninja Squid in Splatfests, now?

Yep. Cheap to replace, too:

Fc-cKJLaUAAiRNs?format=jpg&name=large

I should have gone with either Haunt or Thermal Ink, tbh. Instead I just wasted six chunks on Quick Respawn when I'm going to need those for main gear instead. :doh:

On 15/09/2022 at 12:49, Kevvy Metal said:

Hmmm, I just can't seem to get my head around motion controls when using a controller.

Force yourself to play with Dualies, that way you need your right thumb on the B button at all times in order to dodge instead of the right-stick (those guns are nearly impossible to play without motion control). The only time you should be adjusting view with the right-stick is outside of combat.

Then go to the lobby and practice against the balloons. Stand in one place and target one after another. You only need to practice like this in 1-2 min bursts (so between games is good). It's not like some insane guitar tech that takes eight hours a day over many months/years. You should have it down within an evening.

Watch some of this for inspiration:

-----

I've come to the conclusion that I need to be playing a lot more aggressively if I'm going to be aiming for S+ rank. Playing against these fuckers has been a massive learning experience. During any game mode you can't let up a single square inch of turf during the opening moments, because if you do it's like the whole squad can sense weakness before they start pouncing on that area before making a huge push which wins them the game.

Encouraged by all the hype around Splatoon 3 I finally dipped my wick into the ink (sorry). It's my first Splatoon game. First impressions are, it's very polished, the style is unique and cool, and the animations are amazing. Even though I'm an FPS veteran on console I kind of suck at this, like people have been saying here I have also been really struggling with the motion controls. Its like what newcomers to FPS games must feel like, moving the controller instead of sticks to aim just is completely alien to me and its having to overwrite that bit in your brain. Didn't help that I was playing Apex just beforehand!

That aside I did have fun for the hour or two I played. Despite it being a bit rough I was still usually 2nd on my team in points with my piddly starting gun. Is that a gun I can stick with or is just worse than everything else?

Because I was struggling with aiming and didn't know how to do specials etc, I decided to do some of the single player campaign, which I probably should have started with. It does a better job of accustomising you to the controls and mechanics. I do love the swim through ink mechanic, its genius. 

One question. I made a banner design at the post box and didn't post it on social media, but not sure if it's displaying above my head for other players in their world. Is that a feature that unlocks later or will it be working already?

If it's anything like 2, the starting weapon remains viable throughout, especially for Turf War - Splatoon is very good at weapon balance. Other weapons may end up suiting your play style better.

But I was regularly getting my arse handed to me by Japanese players wielding a base Splattershot...

Dunno about the artwork - never bothered in 1 or 2. I think you have to 'post' it to have it display to others in the plaza, but not necessarily to your social media.

3 hours ago, dataDave said:

Force yourself to play with Dualies, that way you need your right thumb on the B button at all times in order to dodge instead of the right-stick

Pro2 back button mapped to jump. 😉

Like when I switched to green thumb for Halo I barely ever move my hands from shoulder and sticks position.

Finished the single player campaign last night - it was okay. I'm a little bit disappointed because it doesn't really expand much on what the Octo Expansion did. Also this game has, by some distance, the most boring bosses of the whole series. It's a real shame as Splatoon 1 has one of the most exciting final bosses of any game, and it's been downhill in this regard for a while.

Best to worst campaigns:

Octo Expansion

Splatoon 3

Splatoon 1 (better bosses) = Splatoon 2 (better stages)

22 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I do love the swim through ink mechanic, its genius. 

Yeah, absolutely brilliant bit of game design. The different movement modes, the ability to hide, ink recharging, healing; it ties it all together, while giving the game a unique identity.

There’s loads going on. As well as a marking of territorial gain it doubles as a fog of war, almost like a compulsory Zerg creep for your team. I love making a mess of a patch behind an enemy advance so that they can’t retreat once bombs start being thrown in. You can also feint an approach by spraying in one direction but actually end up going in another.

Getting the hang of these. Slowly.

53 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Quick question - anybody have a printout/cheat sheet of all the clothing ability icons they can direct me to? I'm constantly confused on them.

ZL flips them over when you've selected them, but there's this for Splatoon 2 which should do you for now. No idea if there are new abilities in 3

https://bobmckay.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Splatoon-Abilities-Cheat-Sheet-Printable-PDF.pdf

2 hours ago, smac said:

Yeah, absolutely brilliant bit of game design. The different movement modes, the ability to hide, ink recharging, healing; it ties it all together, while giving the game a unique identity.

The different weapons are also brilliant and encourage different types of play. I use the roller a lot in multiplayer because I’m not that great, but I feel like I’m contributing in turf war, and it’s just so damn satisfying. 

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

ZL flips them over when you've selected them, but there's this for Splatoon 2 which should do you for now. No idea if there are new abilities in 3

https://bobmckay.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Splatoon-Abilities-Cheat-Sheet-Printable-PDF.pdf

Perfect! Yeah, aware you can flip on individual weapons but they don't label them on the filters or in the phone app shop.