Jump to content

Splatoon 3 - it's here!


strawdonkey
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Oy. I push forward and paint as I go, get splatted back to the start area then go again. Rinse, wash, repeat for the 3 min bursts. More often than not I'm one of the top two on the team but my actual win-loss ratio is getting embarrassing. I just picked up where I left off in the Splatfest this evening-- now sitting on 17-27. It's pure pwnage but at least it's fun... right?? 😬 I got a few splats with the aerospray thanks to your tips (kinda... I just went face to face but up close to minimise the spread) and noticed I'd a jumper with the invisi-swim ability so I increased the slots on it and put it on as I've seen people bring that up as a bit of a holy-grail. It may well have benefitted me personally but didn't really help the team overall. 😅 

I don't think 17-27 in favour of losses is really that bad, it's still 39% wins so closer to parity than it at first appears.  One weakness of the aerospray build is that it's almost impossible to get a kill with the fizzy bomb where as other guns have splat or suction bombs as secondaries that are much more likely to add to your kills.  Am sure a greater variety of loadouts will appear in the weapon shop over time.

Forgot to mention it earlier but having ink saver (main) and ideally also ink recovery up are pretty much essential with aerospray

 

44 minutes ago, smac said:

Yeah, that looks good. And X matches?

Can't see me ever getting anywhere near high enough rank wise to reach X.

Have they said where it will sit? IIRC in Splatoon 2 it was slotted in at what had previously been S+10?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back to the Chill Season vid, it's good to see that they plan to keep things interesting. New weapons and reviving old levels.

 

I still have dreams about matches in Flounder Heights (and the original underpass Arena). Oh, and about the old Manta special from S1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm running with 2 swim speed up mains and Ninja Squid. Plus one swim speed sub, but I'd like to get more.

 

I used to run with three mains and several subs; great for attacking play in Clam Blitz. As long as you have plenty of free ink of your colour to manoeuvre in.

 

But yeah, the above takes a bit of grinding to get set up. Or luck...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the benefit falls off for each additional unit, faster as you add more, asymptotically.

 

The graph varies by ability, some drop off more, but the initial points give the most boost.

 

Some abilities, just one sub used to give a good initial boost - sub defence up, quick super jump and quick respawn, I think.

 

In truth, I think two mains is the sweet spot for most abilities - but maxed out swim speeds/run speeds is still pretty common. If you're running with Ninja Squid, you need more to counteract its initial speed penalty.

 

Edit: I seem to recall 21 pts being discussed - with mains being 10 and subs 3pts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think I've played enough turf war with the sploosh-o-matic/ curling bombs/ ultra stamp over the last few days to get into the groove with it now that I'm approaching 4* for the weapon.  Verdict is: ffffFFFFFF!!! should have swapped to it from the Aerospray sooner as am having loads of fun with it and, at the moment at least, my win rate is way up after an initial 'learning it' dip.  My recent battles was 30-11 when I looked at it late yesterday evening!  Am playing in a more aggressive style too which is helping I think

 

Still need to make more use of the "following a curling bomb in its ink trail" technique.  Am totally underusing that.

 

Also need to change up one of my mains; have ink saver main, ink recovery up and quick respawn at the mo but only really need the quick respawn in ranked matches so need to swap that out.  Was thinking Ninja Squid or perhaps Special Charge Up to replace it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Ninja Squid and Curling bomb combo is particularly devious. As @DC Lemon points out, if you also have a swim speed up, you can surf along invisibly just behind the bomb itself.

 

Without Ninja Squid, it's obvious you're surfing the trail; with it but without the swim speed up you lose the ability to keep up with the bomb.

 

Like I said, I tend to use two SSU's with NS for even faster getaways...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, here are two recent games of mine with Ninja Squid and 2x Swim Speed up primaries; I like to think I keep that bit more mobile with this solution.

 

Clam Blitz with Splash-o-Matic:

 

RTB6-ST46-L9EK-K0KL (or could be KOKL - I think it's a zero).

 

Splatfest with Sploosh-o-Matic. I actually use the sub relatively little here, just to get into/out of enemy territory a bit quicker. Ignore the bit where I fall into the water.

 

RE3T-3JQS-AMT4-X7E8

 

You should be able to watch these from the replay console in the main hall - not tried replay codes myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @smac, will look at those after work.

Tried a few matches during lunch with Special Charge up as I already had a suitable gear item.  Wasn't convinced by it but I did get several Comms errors so not able to really tell.  Did coincidentally get a lovely ultra stamp splat on a trizooka player who was desperately trying to zooka me though 😂

 

Created a new gear set with Ninja Squid at the end of that but not had time to try it out yet.

Mains: Ink Saver Main, Ink Recovery Up, Ninja Squid

Subs: 3x Swim Speed Up, 3x Run Speed Up, 3x Ink Resistance Up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope the codes work - like I said, not tried using them before. I assume they're for just this kind of sharing.

 

You might spot my 'get right up in their grill' tactics. Not subtle, but short-range weapons never are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/11/2022 at 12:39, smac said:

OK, here are two recent games of mine with Ninja Squid and 2x Swim Speed up primaries; I like to think I keep that bit more mobile with this solution.

 

Clam Blitz with Splash-o-Matic:

 

RTB6-ST46-L9EK-K0KL (or could be KOKL - I think it's a zero).

 

Splatfest with Sploosh-o-Matic. I actually use the sub relatively little here, just to get into/out of enemy territory a bit quicker. Ignore the bit where I fall into the water.

 

RE3T-3JQS-AMT4-X7E8

 

You should be able to watch these from the replay console in the main hall - not tried replay codes myself.

Forgot to mention that this worked fine.

  • Enter the code in the Replay Code section
  • Replay downloads in a couple of seconds
  • Go to View Replays and it will be at the top of the list

You are a lot better than me at Clam Blitz!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

Forgot to mention that this worked fine.

  • Enter the code in the Replay Code section
  • Replay downloads in a couple of seconds
  • Go to View Replays and it will be at the top of the list

You are a lot better than me at Clam Blitz!!

 

Ah, good to know that works, thanks!

 

That was a particularly good game - but also, I have probably spent 1000s of hours playing Clam Blitz with a Splash-o-Matic or Splattershot Pro. 

 

Ninja Squid is actually fairly new for me - I used to run with mainly Swim Speed Up and the old Weapon Damage buff in 2; buffing a rapid fire weapon like Splash-o-Matic makes a big difference. Or for the Splattershot Pro, the primary weapon ink usage reduction buff.

 

The Ninja Squid allows you to flank unseen, but I find its base movement penalty makes you too slow; especially for Clam Blitz, you need to be able to move to support an attack pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/11/2022 at 13:46, smac said:

 

That was a particularly good game - but also, I have probably spent 1000s of hours playing Clam Blitz with a Splash-o-Matic or Splattershot Pro. 

 

 

Having said that, after having my arse handed to me by better teams over the weekend, I'm not sure there's that much evidence of all those hours! Dark Tetra dualies were a particular nemesis, this weekend. And the usual paintbrush wielders - there's a weapon designed for Clam Blitz. Fast for goal attack, and a blizzard of paint that I swear acts as a shield when you're attacked by one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smac said:

Having said that, after having my arse handed to me by better teams over the weekend, I'm not sure there's that much evidence of all those hours! Dark Tetra dualies were a particular nemesis, this weekend. And the usual paintbrush wielders - there's a weapon designed for Clam Blitz. Fast for goal attack, and a blizzard of paint that I swear acts as a shield when you're attacked by one.

The dodge roll that comes with dualies is super annoying to play against 😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/11/2022 at 12:39, smac said:

OK, here are two recent games of mine with Ninja Squid and 2x Swim Speed up primaries; I like to think I keep that bit more mobile with this solution.

 

Clam Blitz with Splash-o-Matic:

 

RTB6-ST46-L9EK-K0KL

 

Good match! I can see that you like to flank a lot, and get behind enemy lines. 

 

I wouldn't have thought your two swim was necessary looking at that - there is a 2nd half clam score that you could argue wouldn't have happened without the speed, but you were following close in your curling bomb already.

 

I'm regularly trading back video replays with a friend - I really love and appreciate the feature and find it useful to figure out where I am going wrong, and useful to see how other weapons play and perceive your plays.

 

I main Tri-Stringer and a recent win I was happy with below:

 

Rainmaker on Sturgeon Shipyard 

RP28-X8EW-1Y7W-27JW

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting into anarchy now. Started getting some wins in open which brought my score above zero. Felt good. Now just finished a series that I started the other day and it boosted me from C- to C! Amazing. 🥲 

 

I'm not too sure what's going on in some of the modes but painting, fragging and following the others has been good enough for the moving tower and splatzones. Rainmaker, I don't know what the buttons are when you have the thing and clam blitz I haven't the foggiest what's going on. This game makes me feel like a grandad. 😂

 

I've stumped up the 20p to buy into another series. Good times!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

 

Good match! I can see that you like to flank a lot, and get behind enemy lines. 

 

I wouldn't have thought your two swim was necessary looking at that - there is a 2nd half clam score that you could argue wouldn't have happened without the speed, but you were following close in your curling bomb already.

 

I'm regularly trading back video replays with a friend - I really love and appreciate the feature and find it useful to figure out where I am going wrong, and useful to see how other weapons play and perceive your plays.

 

I main Tri-Stringer and a recent win I was happy with below:

 

Rainmaker on Sturgeon Shipyard 

RP28-X8EW-1Y7W-27JW

 

 

Thanks - there were a couple more recent games where the added speed was useful to the score.

 

Maybe I just like the feel of the extra speed. Like swimming through treacle without it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

 

Rainmaker on Sturgeon Shipyard 

RP28-X8EW-1Y7W-27JW

 

 

Yeah, I can see why you dislike Zipcasters; that Carbon Roller had it in for you.

 

You'll appreciate this losing match where a tri-stringer had my number; I failed to take 'em out every time. Ink grenades leaving me short in the ensuing dogfight. I've had several games where a Stringer has been a pain - very good at cutting off OUR attack lines while inking in theirs:

 

RWVT-SVXX-CL8F-E5T1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeez. Had my first A+ to S Rank 'rank-up' battle today. Won the first two. Lost the second two. Lost the third by one point - nearly getting through for a winning goal in extra time. Gutted! So close!

 

R93F-EHTX-6D3A-091Q

 

Oh, and another of my pet hates? Bunny-hoppers. I know it's a legitimate tactic, and it affects your aim, and there are perks to minimise the effects, but it just annoys the hell out of me.

 

Like this game against a team of four Japanese players - just watch the Classic Squiffer guy in action. Almost balletic:

 

R3RM-E1NK-XSN8-730B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.