IGNORED

Project Triangle Strategy (Working Title) - New FFTA? Demo out now

mdn2

Having never played any strategy jrpgs except for fire emblem I'm not sure what to make of the gameplay.

Frankly It would be nice if I could play it instead of having to read an endless stream of utter shit.

The writing is unbearable and it feels like it will never stop.

It did, however, finally teach my how demesne is pronounced, and my mind is blown.

I'm a bit more enthusiastic about this after the run up to and then being rolled over in the second battle. As someone who always wanted to mess around with the little vignettes in FF Tactics adding in Shining Force style intermissions is brilliant. The voting system to determine the story branches could potentially have loads of depth. Lots of mid battle objectives and environment changes. It's great.

All they need to do is hack out 2/3rds of the dialogue.

FYI, when it first gives you a choice of two missions on the map screen, it seems like if you do the main mission first you can't do the side mission. (Because the story skips ahead after the main mission.)

I really wish that games which give you a fast forward button on dialogue also gave you a rewind button. I've only played one game ever (ZOE: Fist of Mars on the GBA) which did this.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I really wish that games which give you a fast forward button on dialogue also gave you a rewind button. I've only played one game ever (ZOE: Fist of Mars on the GBA) which did this.

Every single visual novel made since about the late 90s has this option (and/or the ability to immediately bring up a log of the current conversation), which makes it all the more astonishing that every other genre seems to roundly ignore the mechanic.* It's so useful! And not just for fast-forwarding! Sometimes I just want to check something that was said earlier in the conversation!

*Persona games being a happy exception in the JRPG space with an always accessible log, reflective of how significant the VN/life sim influence is on the modern series

Finished the demo now, that was awesome. 

Really scratches that FFT/Tactics Ogre itch while adding some great new gameplay features too.  Nicely balanced and well designed core gameplay.

Visuals are beautifully crafted and the music is lovely.  
A few performance niggles here and there when things gets busy, and some story scenes go on a bit though I feel they could have been more palatable with better voice acting.

Can’t wait for the full game!

On 19/02/2021 at 15:56, spork said:

How extensive is the demo? Is it just a few battles or is there a significant section of game to play?

Its really substantial, but much of the time is spent listening to interminable bullshit that you need a degree in bullshit to understand. It’s so long, I’m actually dreading having to do it all again in the game proper. 

Despite that, and despite how, ultimately, Octopath Traveller proved disappointing - I really, really enjoyed this. Mechanically, it captures the look and feel of classics like FF Tactics, Vandal Hearts and Shining Force; it’s challenging; the stages are wonderful little dioramas and the characters are suitably cute. I really like the TP system, where special attacks and techniques require points accrued over turns where you don’t spend any. 

It is extremely ponderous, though, and no more so than during the voting sections. The battles are great fun, but I worry the story, dialogue and voting sections will drag the pace down to a plodding, unenjoyable level. 

Probably in. It’s good. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anycunt playing the new demo? It’s got the first 3 chapters and your save carries over to the full game. I’m still trying to finish bastarding never-ending Dragon Quest XII before Elden Ring consumes my very being, but I’ve got it downloading.

Noticed that in the direct too. They really stand out don't they. Especially compared to Xenoblade's voices. I take it voice can be turned off, leaving just text? I've often preferred that in the past anyway, I'm able to conjure up better voices in my mind!

There's a Japanese voice option in the settings, for those who prefer that sort of thing. I didn't find the English cast too grating, I've heard a lot worse.

Had a quick go tonight, only had enough time to get through the first battle but so far it's very familiar stuff if you've ever played a tactical RPG before.

The first Chapter is a massive chore of character introductions, world-building and achingly dull Basil Exposition. It’s all pretty poorly written, and the performances are diabolical. Fell asleep twice getting through it. It looks lovely, the one tutorial battle in Chapter one seems fun enough, but the rest is tough to endure. Saved me £50, which these days is pretty much what demos are for.

27 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Noticed that in the direct too. They really stand out don't they. Especially compared to Xenoblade's voices. I take it voice can be turned off, leaving just text? I've often preferred that in the past anyway, I'm able to conjure up better voices in my mind!

It’ll be particularly sore for me coming off said Dragon Quest XI playthrough with its excellent localisation, regional British accents and all.