The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Paulando

I honestly don't remember having any problem with the Tadtones.  But then, I used to be an avid snorkeler & would spend hours exploring Coral reefs, diving down to look at interesting shells.

I’m absolutely loving this new play through and my opinion of the game hasn’t changed a single bit since I first played it. Also I very much enjoyed the TadTones. It’s a deliberate change of pace, a palette cleaner between dungeon courses. 

3D ZELDA RANKING TIME 

1. Breath of the Wild 

2. Ocarina of Time 

3. Majora’s Mask

4. Skyward Sword

5. Twilight Princess 

6. Wind Waker

WW has, and always will be in the bottom for me. Absolutely beautiful aesthetic married to some very slight content. 
It’s still great of course! 

I didn’t get very far in the original version, which was due to a combination of things, and nothing to do with the core game. I’m not a graphics snob at all, but like all Wii games it looked awful on a big HDTV, the motion controls just required a bit too much effort and setup to play, and it probably did have some more annoyances I’ve forgotten about that have been fixed in this.

I'm glad Skyward Sword has had another chance to shine.  Getting past the control & pacing issues as well as the dated visuals allows the pretty solid Zelda game at its heart to be seen & appreciated.  The dungeon design & atmosphere is still amongst the best in the series.

Not to sound contrary, but I'm finding this pretty hard work. I completed the first dungeon then stopped to have a go on Death's Door, which pulled me away from this entirely. Coming back to it now, I'm up to the desert area and am having trouble finding the will to keep playing. It's all a bit plodding and a wee bit dull, to be honest.

I think the biggest problem is one of my own making, as I only played this for the first time back in 2015, on the Wii U, having missed it when it first came out. I thought that six years would have been long enough for me to have forgotten everything, but playing it now, a lot is coming back to me. Some of the puzzles are quite clever, but very simple and easy to solve, even without Fi literally telling you want to do. The combat feels very scrappy and unsatisfying, too, even now I've switched from motion to button controls. And that fucking beetle thing is sooooo slooooow.

I'll keep going with it, but it feels like something to dip in and out of for 20 minutes or so at a time rather than devoting an entire evening's play to. Good thing it's on Switch, then, I guess.

@Jamie John I can totally see this. Zelda games don’t lend themselves too well to multiple play throughs. Even 10 years later I could still remember the opening section to Skyward Sword, though thankfully I never played much beyond that.

As for the combat feeling scrappy, it was the same for me too - felt like I was madly waving the stick around at first - but when it clicks it’s precise and super-satisfying. So much so that I think I’ll miss having it in other Zelda games. I think the moment it clicked was while fighting the lizard enemies in the second dungeon. 

I played this a bit when it came out and really loved the bits I played, but found that rolling/throwing the bombs just didn't bloody work so I gave up on it pretty early on. Going back to it now and it's sort of a bit remarkable. I know people talk the motion controls down and moan about waggle ad infinitum but, and this may sound fairly simplistic, when I lift my controller up and to the right the little man lifts his sword up and to the right. It's fucking magic. 

And it's just full of really fun little puzzles and cool little things. It's not perfect, and the controls definitely do mess up every so often, but I think it adds more to the experience for me than it takes away. You can run around and swing your sword about and the guy on screen does it, it would have absolutely blown my mind as a kid and there's definitely still a fair amount of that even today two generations after this was new.

Oh also, when you're on the bird, you have to flap the controller to flap your wings and get height. I think it tells you this but pretty quickly and I missed it and it made all of the flying bits an absolute chore but now it's lovely flying around on the bird. There's something about playing with a controller in each hand that feels amazing.

12 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Oh also, when you're on the bird, you have to flap the controller to flap your wings and get height. I think it tells you this but pretty quickly and I missed it and it made all of the flying bits an absolute chore but now it's lovely flying around on the bird. There's something about playing with a controller in each hand that feels amazing.

I'm new to the game, but it sounds like on Wii there was a lot of handholding. I'm not sure if it's gone the other way, or I'm just not paying attention, but I keep on hitting walls finding something I didn't know I could do. The last one was rolling bombs. Had no idea I could do that, so kept trying to throw it into holes on the ground. 

12 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Just started the third dungeon area and I was like: ‘oh great another dusty Goron mine’. Then I hit the crystal and I was like: ‘OH SHIIIIIIT!!’.

Loved that dungeon. Surprised I got through it so quick though , looked more complicated! 

I definitely played this to the point of the time travel desert, but I’ve completely lost all but a few snapshot recollections. It’s a refreshing new old style Zelda.

Playing OOT at 13 years old there was one puzzle that stumped me; gaining entry to the old Link fire dungeon. With this it feels like I’ve ran into that kind of thing a few times and have lost my Zelda grammar.

First Imprisoned Fight & Silent Realm down, & IMO they’re a little easier & less frustrating with full camera control.  Currently in the Ancient Cistern & I’ve had the unexpected but pleasant surprise that I don’t remember how to complete it, meaning that I’m actually having to explore & figure things out. 😁

23 hours ago, BitterToad said:

It may feel amazing but you'll still look like a tit doing it.

While using the Pro controller I couldn't figure out how to do the Fatal Blow, which is necessary to defeat some enemies.  The onscreen control prompt was a little vague but it turns out you have to quickly move the right stick up, down, then up again (the same motion as the vertical spin attack) which is a little tricky to do especially in such a short time window.  I think i would have preferred a simpler input like clicking the stick in or something like that.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

It may feel amazing but you'll still look like a tit doing it.

I'm a 32 year old man playing a game in which you fly a dopey red bird, talk to your sword and collect Gratitude Crystals. Buttons or motion controls I'm going to look like some degree of tit.  

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

While using the Pro controller I couldn't figure out how to do the Fatal Blow, which is necessary to defeat some enemies.  The onscreen control prompt was a little vague but it turns out you have to quickly move the right stick up, down, then up again (the same motion as the vertical spin attack) which is a little tricky to do especially in such a short time window.  I think i would have preferred a simpler input like clicking the stick in or something like that.

I'm really hitting a wall with this. It's hard enough to knock baddies down on their arse, and then I got to make up distance and do this (after googling how). I hope it clicks soon. 

I got to the third area and turned in the towel.  I’m sure there’s fun to be had here but it’s just not my kind of game anymore, I find the restrictive nature of how ordered it is very restricting and, well, dull to be honest. Exploration is very limited, the maps/play areas look like building blocks stacked together and there are a couple of very irritating design choices. One that stands out is how you have to running jump off certain platforms on skyloft rather than where you please (like the bit at the bottom where demon fella lives, you can’t jump off there, no you have to climb the ladder and jump off a higher platform instead).

Don’t get me wrong, I can see how people would enjoy it, it’s just that I don’t. That said, people who say they prefer this style of Zelda over Breath of the Wild are certifiably batshit insane.

One odd thing about Skyward Sword is that despite all Nintendo's efforts to make it 'friendly' to Zelda newcomers (the hint videos in the original, Fi's constant interruptions & outright telling you some puzzle solutions) there's a number of tricky (and mandatory) time-limited challenges (The Imprisoned, The Silent Realms) that don't have much margin for error. Compare this to Breath of the Wild where you can play pretty much the entire game at your own pace going wherever, whenever you want.

I've also thrown in the towel with this. I got pretty far in - 13 hours played, up to the end of the Ancient Cistern - but, after a checking a guide and being reminded that I still had two of the Spirit Trials to go (as well as two more fights against floppy toe boy), I just can't be bothered to see it through. If I hadn't played it through back in 2015 then I'd have stuck with it, but I just felt like I was going through the motions, really. There are a handful of neat ideas, but it's very clunky and slow, and for all this talk about its focus on puzzles compared with BotW, they're all pretty mindless if you've ever played a Zelda game before. The overworld is pretty insipid, too - I had no real desire to explore the characterless floating islands, certainly compared with the varied and interesting islands in Wind Waker, for example.

Ah well. I'm glad lots of people seem to be enjoying it.

I'm close to giving up on this. The fucking motion controls just do not work well enough to have such precise actions mapped to them. I'm in the time temple and I would say the motions I am doing match the actions around 60% of the time. Which is fine when you're taking out regular baddies with no time pressure but when you're up against thing that open up for all of two seconds going from the wind item, lining up with the cursor, blowing until they open up, shaking the remote to draw sword, swiping in the right direction, there are a lot of variables there that can go wrong if things are failing that regularly. 

It's a shame as the game itself is wonderful. And as I've said in here before there's an absolute magic to the motion control when it does work. But when it doesn't it's incredibly frustrating. Maybe I'll switch over to the Pro Controller and give that a crack for a bit. 

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I'm close to giving up on this. The fucking motion controls just do not work well enough to have such precise actions mapped to them. I'm in the time temple and I would say the motions I am doing match the actions around 60% of the time. Which is fine when you're taking out regular baddies with no time pressure but when you're up against thing that open up for all of two seconds going from the wind item, lining up with the cursor, blowing until they open up, shaking the remote to draw sword, swiping in the right direction, there are a lot of variables there that can go wrong if things are failing that regularly. 

It's a shame as the game itself is wonderful. And as I've said in here before there's an absolute magic to the motion control when it does work. But when it doesn't it's incredibly frustrating. Maybe I'll switch over to the Pro Controller and give that a crack for a bit. 

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

@BitterToad The Pro Controller is much better. 

Yes absolutely! I think they game is superb with the “buttons only” controls. They still feel tactile and give the feeling of whacking something, but work far better than the motion controls. 

I honestly think the motion controls are worse in this version than the Wii original! The lack of IR pointer aiming means constant pointer resetting. 

I became used to resetting the gyros fairly quickly, but it's not something you should be having to do in motion control gaming really.  They're definitely worse in this than the original and with the pointing stuff I'd go as far to say that the limitations of the joycon let the game down at times.  The drift you can get when long distance bow aiming can be pretty dreadful. Aiming for a Bokoblin head for the cursor to drift away on it's own then stick, refusing to budge with the kind of subtle movement that it should be working with is disappointing. It's a shame because the extra sensitivity in the gyros is generally a good thing and makes a difference, particularly when you take your sword out and wave it around a bit. There's a touch more connection between what your hand is doing and what Link's hand is doing which I love. And the camera control is obviously something that couldn't be done on Wii. 

The silent realms are fine. They are not exactly hard. If it's taking more than 2 times you are doing something wrong.

Just finished the sand ship - i'm finding the motion controls fine most of the time really. The resetting the gyro is a pain in the ass though, especially during boss fights.

End game Bosses completed & because pulling off 2 specific moves with the Pro controller is far easier & consistently reliable than with Motion controls, they were a cakewalk.  I'd loaded up with Potions but didn't end using any of them as they barely landed a hit.

• 2 weeks later...