I've never watched Titanic

That cgi scene seems unbelievable. I don't recall noticing that in the...maybe 3 watches I've had of this. That's in the film? Background watches though, it's a good Sunday afternoon film. The scenes when the ship is flooding are done with such ease by Cameron, he might be an awful writer in many ways but he knows how to shoot and construct action scenes and it still holds up. I hadn't seen it either before catching it half way through on tv and actually being quite gripped by DiCaprio potentially drowning. I think in the cinema that whole last half would be pretty amazing actually, kind of wish i watched it at the time. 

I think it's better than Avatar and I'd rather watch it again than that. 

6 hours ago, skondo said:

Never seen it.  Last decent Cameron film was The Abyss.

What if you think Titanic is the best thing ever?  It's also too long, features submersibles, a bit of cheesy if earnest romance and a small amount of boob. 

15 hours ago, Clipper said:

James Cameron does not understand human beings or how they interact in actual reality. He is at his best when directing robots or aliens, when it comes to humans he ONLY knows cheesy broad as fuck cartoony stuff.

Counterpoint: there is more humanity in the shot of the old couple, clutching one another in their bed as the water pours into their room than in anything in recent output directed by Nolan, Abrams or any of the other flavour of the month directors ...

1 minute ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Counterpoint: there is more humanity in the shot of the old couple, clutching one another in their bed as the water pours into their room than in anything in recent output directed by Nolan, Abrams or any of the other flavour of the month directors ...

counterpoint: the exception that proves the rule. I was impressed by that sequence that lasted a few seconds and that moment of humanity stands out so well as it is surrounded by utter cartoony nonsense.

yeah but as has been said upthread already, a guy falls OFF the boat and SMASHES into the boat propeller, making a comedy BONK, before hitting the water, hundreds of feet below. He's dead like three times. You don't get that in cinema now.

On 19/02/2021 at 20:13, Paulando said:

Managed to clip a gif of the dreadful CGI people walking about the boat:

5623020E-95FA-4055-A0B9-AFDD341AC294.gif.8da8b6759f98171d36d03cb89a8d2409.gif

That really looks like the training mission in Hitman, and he's about to push the captain over the edge.

10 hours ago, skondo said:

Never seen it.  Last decent Cameron film was The Abyss.

Terminator 2 says hello!

On 19/02/2021 at 20:13, Paulando said:

Managed to clip a gif of the dreadful CGI people walking about the boat:

5623020E-95FA-4055-A0B9-AFDD341AC294.gif.8da8b6759f98171d36d03cb89a8d2409.gif

I have never noticed that before and I've seen the movie lots of times on different formats! That's pretty funny, i'll keep an eye out for it when i watch it next time.

I remember having to get clips of Titanic for a Fox showreel I was cutting years ago. It seemed to be two characters walking around an upright boat saying each other's names lovingly for an hour and a half then two characters running around a sinking boat shouting each others names terrified for an hour and a half. BONK was excellent though. A great bit.

5 BONKs out of 5. 

I saw it on release and really enjoyed. Cheesy at times but the leads are good. Kathy Bates, David Warner and Bernard Hill are great and Billy Zane is an absolute git in it.

The wife and I went to see the 3D version at the flicks a few years ago. It was very well done. Probably the best 3D conversion I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

The wife and I went to see the 3D version at the flicks a few years ago. It was very well done. Probably the best 3D conversion I've ever seen.

Agreed on the 3D conversion. Its weird, a film not filmed even thinking of 3D had a great conversion. 

I'm not a fan of 3D but it is probably the only film I am sad not to be able to see in 3D. I used to have a 3D TV (which I actually felt made 3D look a lot better than when I'd seen it in the Cinema) but the successor to that TV didn't include the tech and I don't think any TVs have it now. 

Not a shame per se, just weird how 3D conquers cinema for luck 5 years every other decade and then disappears again.  I look forward to seeing it again in 2035. 

3 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

It was worth it because apparently at one point back stage Cameron wanted to lamp Harvey Weinstein with his Oscar.

I hadn't heard that story and had to look it up.  Cameron described it as a long story, but the short of it was how badly Miramax had been treating Del Toro on Mimic.  Del Toro described that:

My first American experience was almost my last because it was with the Weinsteins and Miramax,” he said. “I have got to tell you, two horrible things happened in the late nineties, my father was kidnapped and I worked with the Weinsteins. I know which one was worse…the kidnapping made more sense, I knew what they wanted.

:huh:

(also La Confidential is a boring film. :ph34r:)

5 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

yeah but as has been said upthread already, a guy falls OFF the boat and SMASHES into the boat propeller, making a comedy BONK, before hitting the water, hundreds of feet below. He's dead like three times. You don't get that in cinema now.

Ok yes you have a good point, and it's not thaaat recent, but I can't help but jump in and mention the amazingly brutal death in Jurassic World where a woman gets picked up and flung around in mid-air from Pterodactyl to Pterodactyl then falls into some water but the Pterodactyls dive in after her and continue pecking her to bits but finally some giant sea dinosaur whale thing I can't remember the name of devours both her and a Pterodactyl in one bite. Kinda similar :)