Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection

simms

ninja-gaiden-master-collection-switch-hero.thumb.jpg.4922aaa3615bc3b45516405e2515fb82.jpg

https://teamninja-studio.com/ngmc/uk/

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Versions are Sigma (PS3), Sigma 2 , and Razor's Edge
Includes DLC costumes

Due out on June 10 worldwide

I believe the Sigma versions are seen inferior to the Black and vanilla 2, but I'm happy to see these on other platforms.  I believe Black is available on the Xbox store which maybe a better bet.

I haven't been able to nail down what makes the Sigma version inferior 

I remember playing the beginnings of this series in the arcade

ninja-gaiden-level-1.jpg.751a599e037f76e2bc60acb576be784f.jpg

Biggest kick in the teeth here is that they're the Sigma versions.

Sigma 1's an acceptable substitute for Black - it has some superfluous enemies and added some other mis-steps but it sticks closely enough to the original template.

Sigma 2 isn't an acceptable substitute. 'Cool purple spray' instead of blood (that was their excuse in an interview - it wasn't censorship, oh no, it's just that purple smoke seemed cooler and more ninjalike), half the enemies with twice the health, and a bunch of additional changes that made it a markedly inferior experience overall. Base NG 2 was unrelenting and visceral. Sigma 2 neutered the core experience significantly.

NG3 is... NG3. Razor's Edge improved things, but it's not a patch on the first two.

Yes, I'm getting it. I just wish they'd taken the smart choices - or thrown in both versions of each game to choose from. As it stands, with the removed multiplayer (tag mode in 2, and the awful clan battles in 3) it kind of feels like a low effort cash grab in the name of some of the best combat games ever made.

Ninja Gaiden Black is available on Xbox BC and it's enhanced like all OG Xbox titles are - 4k and fancy filtering. And it looks*amazing*, it's one of the titles I always recommend if people want to see what Xbox BC can do for older games. It will be very interesting to see how this official remaster stacks up - will it look just as good or better? Or... maybe worse?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ninja Gaiden Black is available on Xbox BC and it's enhanced like all OG Xbox titles are - 4k and fancy filtering. And it looks*amazing*, it's one of the titles I always recommend if people want to see what Xbox BC can do for older games. It will be very interesting to see how this official remaster stacks up - will it look just as good or better? Or... maybe worse?

You won't find out here - at least not a direct comparison, since, Black's not the one being remastered. 

2 looks like the first one did on Xbox BC - absolutely incredible. MS' backwards compatibility is some sort of wizardry.

Wait, I've just realised - does this mean that 2 fixes the framerate issues when played on Xbox One X and up? Because I may actually give that game the time of day if it's not dropping frames any time anything exciting happens.

And, I guess, finally give NG Black a try rather than holding on to my love for the original :(

(apologies for derailing the thread. I'm sure this will be very nice, but I'll stick with the non-Sigma versions. And with never, ever playing 3)

Just now, Wiper said:

Wait, I've just realised - does this mean that 2 fixes the framerate issues when played on Xbox One X and up? Because I may actually give that game the time of day if it's not dropping frames any time anything exciting happens.

And, I guess, finally give NG Black a try rather than holding on to my love for the original :(

(apologies for derailing the thread. I'm sure this will be very nice, but I'll stick with the non-Sigma versions. And with never, ever playing 3)

There's no reason not to jump into Black - aside from the DLC only Intercept it has everything the first had and more, retuned perfectly.

NG2 doesn't drop a frame on the Series X. I'd be surprised if it does on the One X, I think there may be the odd flicker during heavy scenes on earlier consoles - though that may have been at 4K.

14 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

There's no reason not to jump into Black - aside from the DLC only Intercept it has everything the first had and more, retuned perfectly.

NG2 doesn't drop a frame on the Series X. I'd be surprised if it does on the One X, I think there may be the odd flicker during heavy scenes on earlier consoles - though that may have been at 4K.

Even the chapter 10 stairs? I think I'd miss that slowdown. 

God I loved Ninja Gaiden Black. Played through about half of it recently and while it's aged well the camera controls are fucking awful. Really really annoying. Fix that and shiny it up a bit and it'd be amazing. Sigma was good but not AS good. 

2 both annoyed me and was amazing simultaneously.

Niohs as good mind (controversy).

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Even the chapter 10 stairs? I think I'd miss that slowdown. 

Haven't played it myself, but yes, even those.

However, a patch on the original Xbox 360 reduced the amount of enemies in that section. Not sure if you can play it unpatched with the disc version, but man - that would be such a spectacle.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh I see NG2 is also an enhanced BC title on Xbox. Haven't checked that one out myself. But that comparison will be even more interesting since the Sigma is already so inferior in so many other ways.

NG2 looks fantastic on an X. 

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I wonder why they’ve gone for the sigma versions then? Did they save over the originals or something?

I think Microsoft own the rights to Black. So it's Sigma or nothing. 

I probably will buy this as I do love Ninja Gaiden, but I do find the originals too hard and Team Ninja dialled down the difficulty for the Sigma games. Presumably the jiggling boobs feature from Sigma 2 will have been removed. I still can’t believe there was a trailer at the time that focussed on that exact ‘enhancement.’

It was incredibly, incredibly dumb. And while looking for the trailer below, I found this abomination.

Spoiler

I'm not even particularly uptight about how developers clothe their female characters but this is just pandering to imbeciles. 

Anyway! That other ad I was looking for. It's not amazing, but I remember some Americans being genuinely angry 30 seconds in. 

It's a shame they didn't make this a proper next gen remake set, with new assets, 4K, ray tracing and all that gubbins. I love this series but I've bought these games in their various forms so many times now, I just can't justify another outlay... well at least not at full price. I would love a new game in the franchise though, hell I really enjoyed the much maligned Devil's Third, I'd be up for a remaster of that, but I dare say I'm in an audience of one for that, haha.

Audience of Two. Devil's Third was amazingly good fun in multiplayer, it's just that it looked like it had been cobbled together in three months. Which, after two major company implosions during development, it probably had.

Blowing up their bases with explosives for huge cash bonuses> shooting other players.

For me, this collection's all about getting it on PC finally - but sadly it's the wrong versions. Like I said earlier, I'm not too fussed about Sigma instead of Black, but Sigma 2 instead of NG II is not good. Grk!

• 1 month later...

https://kotaku.com/koei-tecmo-couldnt-salvage-the-data-for-ninja-gaiden-bl-1846550279/amp?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3yStwcRbavK2cF_mZongZxnoABgriBSA9xEpdwjEelxD1DfBUG30ZPobU

Pertinent info for the lazy 

“I am aware there are pros and cons,” Yasuda said. “For me personally, Ninja Gaiden II was my debut, and so I have a deep feeling for it. But there’s another reason for this choice. To be honest, there are only fragments of the data that remain. We couldn’t salvage them. However, when developing Sigma Plus and Sigma Plus 2 [for the PlayStation Vita], we got as much of this kind of data together as we could and organized it. Because we use utilize that is the reason why we selected Sigma.”

On 20/02/2021 at 10:10, Kayin Amoh said:

Vigoorian flails, man of culture.

Tonfas (and their ridiculous UT2) all the way man. :P

On 21/02/2021 at 01:07, carlospie said:

Who's that madlad on here that finished one of these on the hardest was it timmo?

IIRC, Kayin Amoh, timmo and I have all completed NG2 on Master Ninja, and I've done the prior game on Master Ninja. I am ashamed to admit that I have never played the proper remixed version of Ninja Gaiden: Black though. I've completed NGB on Normal to unlock Hard (with the new enemies and stuff) and then lost that save game migrating across multiple Xbox consoles. I think I've completed NGB multiple times on Normal without ever actually seeing the new parts. Epic fail.

• 2 months later...

From the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection FAQ - https://teamninja-studio.com/ngmc/uk/

Changing the Output Resolution (Steam® version)

You can set the output resolution for playing this game.
Note: The resolutions below are supported :1280x720, 1920x1080, 3840x2160
To configure the resolution, open the game's Properties from your Steam® Library.
By entering "720p", "1080p", or "4k" in the text field of "LAUNCH OPTIONS", you can fix the resolution to the corresponding value. By setting the game to a low resolution, you can reduce the processing load.

Seems like a sign of a quality PC port :lol:

God help me I saw this on the store last night and edged close to the buy button, haha. They're just so damn playable. What are the general impressions.