The Running Man - Edgar Wright

8 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

A very long time since I read the book. I think it takes place in the world at large and the runners have to make their way back to the TV studio?

Not quite. They have to avoid being captured and killed in the real world. Survive for 30 days and they win the jackpot. 
The 80s film was good fun, but this could make a much better version. It would actually suit a mini series like The Stand. 

It’s a really interesting book that could make for a tense ‘70s style thriller... with a different ending. Who knows what Wright would do with it though? Is this going to be him applying his directing and editing chops to an “ordinary” movie?

The Bachman Books had not only The Running Man, but also The Long Walk - another excellent dystopian tale set around a live or die contest.

I was always disappointed by the Arnie version of The Running Man having read the novella first.

The Running Man isn't a great movie, and I absolutely love it. I must have seen it 20 times at least. 

IIRC, the book is much, much darker

Major Spoilers

Spoiler

Isn't it revealed at one point that his family were actually killed a couple of days after he entered the game, and it ends with him flying a plane into the TV network building?

10 hours ago, FishyFish said:

The Bachman Books had not only The Running Man, but also The Long Walk - another excellent dystopian tale set around a live or die contest.

I was always disappointed by the Arnie version of The Running Man having read the novella first.

Tge long walk was the better book in my opinion although i can see why it might not make the better movie.  

13 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

The ending of the book would be hilarious :lol:

Even by King’s self-admitted bad endings, that one was a real wet fart, and unintentionally amusing. Felt like something an angsty teenager would write. 

I’d very much enjoyed the book up to that point, though. So it shouldn’t be difficult to salvage. 

Edgar Wright isn’t the obvious choice to adapt the book given how bleak it is, but I can see how his energetic style could drive things along. The book has a lot in common with battle royale games too (and the Battle Royale films, come to think of it) so I can see how it might have broad appeal. 

Apparently this was Edgar Wright's top choice for films he'd like to remake so at least he should be committed to doing it if it's a passion project:

This won’t be a remake of the 1987 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger; the Baby Driver writer-director will co-write the story with Michael Bacall, and they will be much more faithful to King’s bestselling novel. Bacall will write the script.

Simon Kinberg will produce through Kinberg’s Genre Films banner, alongside Nira Park from Wright’s Complete Fiction banner, and Genre Films’ Audrey Chon. Kinberg brought the idea to Emma Watts, based on their long relationship, and then Kinberg courted Wright. While the filmmaker is very selective, the prospect of a new The Running Man is one that has intrigued him; to the point that when asked if he could remake any film, he would choose that one. This was back in 2017. Now it has become real.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/edgar-wright-direct-stephen-king-200301898.html?guccounter=1

Though the article ends with a list of other projects he seems to also want to do so it might not come out that soon if he has a backlog of other work to clear first.

To be fair I'd be perfectly happy having all the running scenes in the film set to Focus like it is in Baby Driver.

Somehow he made that entire sequence more exciting than all the car scenes :lol:

The original story is much better than the Arnie movie. Don't get me wrong I love that film and its really fun, but it isn't the running man in anything more than a hat tip to the original premise. 

I'd love a good adaption of the book.