38 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's amazing that the 3rd Strike review still gets its monthly mention in these threads. What was it, 20 years ago now? Perhaps Edge should do more outlier scores if people are going to talk about them so much. 

Yeah, but Mott is back.

(I can’t remember if he was editor for that particular issue)

2 hours ago, Benny said:

I don't like arbitrary scores on the end of any media reviews - I think it veers too close to treating games or films or whatever as products rather than collaborative art works.

Anyway, just off to do another top 100 games of all time thread...

I agree, but I couldn't do with a score at the end of a film review, they put too many spoilers in them. I just need to know if its a decent film or not before watching. I don't even want to see the trailer for it.

Interesting angle from the Cyberpunk article in the intro, pondering whether unionisation might assist in making game development less of a crunchy mess. Something of an about-face from that editorial back last year hand-wringing and hand-waving in equal measure at the crunch culture in Naughty Dog and other studios.

Perhaps if a game is sufficiently high-scoring then poor working practises become a necessary cost of creating AAA development, but if you get under an 8 it's a costly, inhumane way of producing sub-par buggy titles?

It could be a slippery slope of course; one can only imagine the damage if other creative industries like TV, radio, film, music, and magazine publishing began to unionize? Imagine the countless great films that couldn't have been made due to every aspect of the production involving unionised labour.

9 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Imagine the countless great films that couldn't have been made due to every aspect of the production involving unionised labour.

Eh? Didn't George Lucas have a nervous breakdown making the original Star Wars because the British crew insisted on having their union mandated tea break every twenty minutes? Just one of the many other disasters that befell that film.

I think it was sarcasm: All those things are unioned, and they get by just fine

ps. I read once that during the shooting of TESB Frank Oz tried to play peacemaker between the crew and the producers, and the retort was

”fuck you, miss piggy!”

there are a number of holes in that story, but never mind...