I can’t do 30fps any more.

Pob

27 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Why deny yourself trying the 10 because it isn't running at 60FPS

I wouldn't, I can adjust to 30 if needs be but I'd rather not if it can be avoided. But I'm arguing that it's not for me or you to say that someone would be wrong for choosing to avoid that 10 purely because it's not 60.

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But all of youse then apparently draw the conclusion that the wonky frame rate is what makes them brilliant, while over here on planet earth we all know that those brilliant games would be *even better* with a good framerate. ? 

Actuallllllly, it's people saying they won't even entertain looking at a game (whether it's brilliant or not) because it's only 30fps.

That's what people are pushing back on.  Ocarina of time had a shit frame rate. But it was still a great game.  Would be be even better at 60fps?  Yes.  

But some posters up there presumably wouldn't have bothered playing it because it wasn't 60fps.  That's madness.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

WHY are people arguing that it absolutely must be the ones with bad frame rate that I should play? Why would I be missing out by playing others instead? I'm never going to play ALL of them. Crazy.

Mate, I think it sounds like you're having a stroke, that or you're willfully trying to turn an argument round into something no one else is arguing for.  No one is saying you MUST play a certain game.  We're saying arbitarily ignoring a game purely on framerate is dumb as shit.

What I meant was yes the frame rate was bad but the game was so good and engrossing it didn't matter. The games pushed the hardware so much the pay off was worth it. I didn't even know how what FPS was until I started browsing rllmuk 

9 hours ago, rgraves said:

🤣 Some of you people don't know you're born. The framerates we used to play games in - 30fps was a dream. And they'll be plenty of 30 fps games this gen too, not everything needs to be 60, and something being 30 doesn't immediately make it shit..

I’m 41. It’s because I do remember that I don’t see why we should still have to put up with it. I’ve served my time with that shit.  There’s no excuse anymore. 

27 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Actuallllllly, it's people saying they won't even entertain looking at a game (whether it's brilliant or not) because it's only 30fps.

That's what people are pushing back on.  Ocarina of time had a shit frame rate. But it was still a great game.  Would be be even better at 60fps?  Yes.  

But some posters up there presumably wouldn't have bothered playing it because it wasn't 60fps.  That's madness.

Ocarina of Time came at a time when 3D was new and anything above 10fps was acceptable.

We've aged out of that now.

If Ocarina of Time came out now it would not do well, it's a masterpiece but absolutely a product of its time.

A game released at 15fps (or whatever Ocarina was) wouldn't be considered a masterpiece today, regardless of the quality. It would be a great game with game-ruining performance issues.

34 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I’ve drawn a somewhat arbitrary line as my own personal protest. Yes, it’s a bit silly maybe but I don’t really care enough these days to worry about missing whatever is sub-60 as fortunately not a lot of decent stuff is now hitting that frame rate. The kind of things that aren’t tend not to appeal much anyway. The last 30fps game I played and enjoyed was BOTW. 

After five plus years of PC gaming at 60 I’ve just become more sensitive to anything that isn’t to the point that it impacts my enjoyment of the playing experience. I know that sounds really wanky to people for whom that doesn’t happen, but it’s just the case. I’m not being elitist, I just don’t like the jerky blurriness of 30. Others who play at 120 probably think I’m scum. 

4 minutes ago, K said:

This argument is as ridiculous as it is depressing. It's like arguing that you won't watch films that aren't on blu-ray / 4K. Obviously, it's preferable to watch films in high res if at all possible, but it seems preposterous to argue that you can't watch something at SD. It's one step away from arguing that you won't play 2D games, or watch films in black & white.

Here’s an equally hyperbolic counter - 30fps in 2021 is like Christopher Nolan deciding his next pretentiously overlong film will be shot on cameras form the 1920s with no sound because for modern audiences not to accept that when modern tech exists would be ridiculous. 

It’s not that you couldn’t watch it, and no ones saying they can’t play games at 30 (I’m saying I won’t, not can’t though the words can be interchanged), it’s that it’s far less appealing to do so with everything else out there being that much better. You’ve got to be really fucking astounding (BOTW?) to make putting up with 30 be worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Here’s an equally hyperbolic counter - 30fps in 2021 is like Christopher Nolan deciding his next pretentiously overlong film will be shot on cameras form the 1920s with no sound because for modern audiences not to accept that when modern tech exists would be ridiculous. 

I dunno - not quite the same, surely? Modern games are at 30fps usually because there's some tradeoff in terms of visual quality / complexity / rendering technique. It's not because they're using Xbox 360 dev kits to make the game. 

Plus, filmmakers experiment with form and technique all the time, i.e. making films with grotty digital cameras because they like the look.

28 minutes ago, K said:

I dunno - not quite the same, surely? Modern games are at 30fps usually because there's some tradeoff in terms of visual quality / complexity / rendering technique. It's not because they're using Xbox 360 dev kits to make the game. 

Plus, filmmakers experiment with form and technique all the time, i.e. making films with grotty digital cameras because they like the look.

Both true, though I’d argue the former isn’t really necessary these days. 

It’s also the consumer’s choice as to whether they agree with or enjoy these decisions. Maybe Blair Witch Project was an effective novelty but everyone got sick of that schtick pretty quick when every indie film was shot on a camcorder. 

I personally find 30fps really off-putting these days and a game would have to be astonishing for me to suffer through it. To people who don’t care that sounds silly, because they don’t care. If they did it would make sense. 

21 hours ago, K said:

This argument is as ridiculous as it is depressing. It's like arguing that you won't watch films that aren't on blu-ray / 4K. Obviously, it's preferable to watch films in high res if at all possible, but it seems preposterous to argue that you can't watch something at SD. It's one step away from arguing that you won't play 2D games, or watch films in black & white.

There's a massive difference between technological improvements in an interactive vs. a passive medium, but lets agree to disagree.