Imperator Rome. (Windows, Mac, Linux)

It was first released it 2019 but it had a horrible UI. Luckily the developers listened to the community and did a total rework and now its great. 

7234d59d-9ca2-48da-a674-604bf7745bc1ir-cover.thumb.jpg.8478cf5ea0b71877471272fae9df2cb3.jpg

Imperator: Rome is the latest grand strategy title from Paradox Development Studio. Set in the tumultuous centuries from Alexander’s Successor Empires in the East to the foundation of the Roman Empire, Imperator: Rome invites you to relive the pageantry and challenges of empire building in the classical era.

Alexander. Hannibal. Caesar. These great men and dozens like them shaped the destiny of a continent. Mighty kings, clever generals and would-be gods made their mark on the ancient Mediterranean. Around this sea, close-knit nations tested their mettle and virtue against each other in fierce combat, their cultural and political legacy now inseparable from what we understand as western civilisation. But nothing was guaranteed. Can you change the course of history in Imperator: Rome?

• living world of characters with varying skills and traits that will change over time. They will lead your nation, govern your provinces and command your armies and fleets. We also introduce our new, more human-like character art.

• Citizens, freemen, tribesmen and slaves - each population with its own culture and religion. Whether they fill your armies, fill your coffers or fill your colonies, keep an eye on their happiness - your success depends on their satisfaction.

culture.thumb.jpg.3fe13b50eebd16118bc6f4ddc342523e.jpg

religio.thumb.jpg.f144a66980d61145c8f7b8dcb9de2059.jpg

tribes.thumb.jpg.16a2e744c244d0b7ba0dda19cc0c21ef.jpg

• Choose your approach before battle to counter the stratagems of your foes.
  • Each culture has a unique way of waging war. Romans and Celts have different options available to them. Unlock unique bonuses, abilities and units.
  • Manage the senate in a Republic, hold your court together in a monarchy, answer to the clans in a tribal system.
  • Goods provide bonuses to their home province. Will you take advantage of stockpiles for local strength or trade excess goods to spread the wealth around?
  • Invest in buildings, roads and defences to make your kingdom stronger and richer.

Gameplay

The timeline of the game spans from AUC 450 (304 BCE) to AUC 727 (27 BCE) and includes the period of the establishment of the Roman Empire and the Wars of the Diadochi. The map spans from the Iberian peninsula to India, and features over 7,000 cities. Similarly with previous games from Paradox, all of the nations in the game are playable. The game advertises a variety of features, including character management, diverse population, new battle tactics, military traditions, different governmental types, barbarians and rebellions, trade, and provincial improvement.

TLDR; wide as an ocean deep as...well, the pacific ocean.

Q: Never heard of grand strategy games before, what makes them special and why should I play it? 

A: Well, if you suffer from video game fatigue like me then its perfect. You can stop playing and pick up right where you left it 6 months later. If you got family and expect to be interrupted regularly then its not a problem, 

Q: It seems messy and complicated, maybe its not for me? 

A: Getting used to the interface isn't really that difficult. It just requires a little focus and attention. Chances are you are doing much harder things at work, or at home managing your daily life. 

Q: Is it rewarding?

A: Dark Souls is considered to be difficult but it rewards pattern recognition, grand strategy games rewards planning and thinking. It tickles your inner armchair general. Before you know it, the last thing you are thinking about before you fall asleep is how you are going to subjugate and spread civilisation to the barbaric hordes of central and northern Europe. 

Q: I've heard those games have nice soundtracks

A: Yes, Paradox Development Studio titles all have excellent soundtracks.

If you are tired of action games, then this is the game for you. You can create your own narrative and your own story. With the 2.0 Marius update I give it a 9/10.

Good post.

I've not tried this and have just gone back to Hearts of Iron IV (with mods), but I've always had an interest in the time period so I really should give it a go at some point. Is it on Game Pass right now, or have I made that up?

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I was just aimlessly browsing whilst on a conference call and noticed this was on offer on GoG - $13 for the Deluxe Edition.  Will give it a go! :)

13 bucks is a steal, enjoy! :slowclap:

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Good post.

I've not tried this and have just gone back to Hearts of Iron IV (with mods), but I've always had an interest in the time period so I really should give it a go at some point. Is it on Game Pass right now, or have I made that up?

I’m not sure, but I know that it used to be and that’s how I first played it but that was a long time ago. I thought the game was a mess back then so I uninstalled it almost immediately.

After the 2.0 update I bought it on steam. As Bushtopher mentioned it’s quite cheap. Personally I think it’s way better than EU4 and ck2, and it kinda bridges the gap between the two. It’s excellent!

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

Personally I think it’s way better than EU4

Woah, that's a bold claim to make about one of my favourite games! Can you give a short (or long, I like to read :)) summary as to why, and how it differs?

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

Woah, that's a bold claim to make about one of my favourite games! Can you give a short (or long, I like to read :)) summary as to why, and how it differs?

Sure thing @Gabe

EU4 sets up artificial barriers to prevent the player from painting the map, while in Imperator that's what you're supposed to do. Conquering in EU can be extremely tedious depending on where you are located. Play as Muscovy and you can be at war from the game starts til it finishes, play as an Italian or German OPM and you have to literally watch paint dry as you are limited by aggressive expansion. 

Culture in EU is handled by clicking a button, while in Imperator you have to actually manage it. Managing population is almost a minigame of its own. You have nobles, citizens, freemen, tribesmen and slaves. All with different qualities and needs. 

cul2.jpg.af893444ef40d5304402ef58d51b2eed.jpg

cul3.thumb.jpg.b86fdc702f0b628c1039a1dfd24fc9d4.jpg

cul1.thumb.jpg.af9dd031053e03b1c1b92965e58ec495.jpg

You can also customise your armies, which is pretty cool. You can chose from light and heavy infantry, light and heavy cavalry, chariots, archers, engineers for sieges, and mules for supply lines. Oh and you can chose the size of your flanks! In EU its basically the person with the most infantry that wins. Warfare in Imperator just feels better. It also has a nice feature where if your legion wins a glorious battles, that battle will appear in that legions history.  

Diplomacy is more or less the same, only it also has diplomacy between people like in CK. You can bribe, assassinate, threaten, form defensive leagues etc. For me that ads badly needed flavor after thousands of hours of EU.

Trade is also better. Lots of different trade goods with different bonuses. 

trade.jpg.2c97e3416068e3be06bda9183e25948f.jpg

For me, Imperator is what I've always wanted EU4 to be. After playing EU3, EU4 was kinda disappointing when it launched to be honest :sherlock:

edit: I think there is a link function on GOG/Steam. Or at least you can enter your key into steam and you can download it @SM47

This does sound right up my street. I love CK2, but have never actually achieved much in it. The tighter focus here, and Roman era setting makes it very appealing (and the extra info here is all making it sound more like my kind of thing).  And it's been on my Steam wishlist for a long while now. The only issue is finding time to play the thing (I've had CK3 on GamePass for months now, and still not got around to firing it up). This thread has definitely piqued my interest though, so thanks for the heads-up. Very tempted to give it a pop.