IGNORED

Good retro collections that are compatible with the new consoles

Pob

I've got a Raspberry Pi but the input lag annoys me so I might start getting some more 8 and 16-bit classics for the current consoles. There seem to be lots of collections around, but which ones are actually good? Decent emulation, nice effects and bonuses etc.

I almost got the Konami Arcade Classics collection when it was on sale because I love Gradius. Is that one good?

That new Capcom Arcade Stadium that's out for Switch looks brilliant - I'm definitely up for that when it gets an Xbox release.

What others are worth looking into?

Nintendo wise, their Online Membership would tick that box.

The SNES and NES Mini are also very good, perhaps the best of the Mini consoles, and although they obviously aren't compatible with new consoles, they do have actual original control pads, which in my opinion, is one of the biggest things missing from any retro collection.

The recent contra collection is absolutely tip-top. The Castlevania one is very good too but unfortunately lacks Rondo of Blood, which is in a separate ps4-only two game pack with SotN. That is nowhere near as good a package in terms of emulation and extras as the Castlevania Anniversary one. Those two mentioned though, good emulation by M2 and nice extras including the Japanese (and European on the case of the Contra collection) versions of some of the games. Castlevania one even includes NES Kid Dracula localised in English for the first time. 

Most (maybe all?) of the Sega Vintage Collection titles that were released for Xbox 360 should be backwards-compatible with the Xbox Series S/X. In particular, the Streets of Rage one is really thorough (JP/EU/US versions of each game; lots of display options; various bonus modes).

19 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

All of the above, but also one which barely gets a mention and can be had cheaply, is Midway Arcade Origins for 360 and is compatible on Xbox One/Series. Defender, Robotron, Smash TV etc 

Ooh that’s a good one. 

A warning about the Midway collection. The control mapping in some games is fucking woeful and can't always be fixed. Robotron uses the analogue sticks instead of d-pad and face buttons, twitchy controls on anything that used a steering wheel or trackball, (probably the least playable home version of Rampart as a result).

2 hours ago, matt0 said:

A warning about the Midway collection. The control mapping in some games is fucking woeful and can't always be fixed. Robotron uses the analogue sticks instead of d-pad and face buttons, twitchy controls on anything that used a steering wheel or trackball, (probably the least playable home version of Rampart as a result).

Yeah the controls are terrible.

The two labours of love which spring to mind are:

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, mentioned above, which has just had an incredible amount of love and attention lavished upon it; plentiful extras, background information, flyers for every game, and a delightfully esoteric selection of titles in the first place. Great stuff.

Rare Replay, which I'm surprised hasn't had a mention yet; aside from perfect emulation of the 8- and 16-bit titles, you have dramatically improved versions of Rare's N64 and 360 output as well (minus, of course, Goldeneye), and lovely 'snapshot' versions of games to play which concentrate them into <5 minute challenges if you want a quick blast.

To my mind, there are no other collections that come close to those two as an overall package.

By contrast, the recent Capcom arcade thingy is a disappointment in terms of emulation - see e.g. stuttery performance in Ghouls 'n' Ghosts rendering it even harder than the original - and has no real 'extras' so to speak, besides an attractive front-end.

(outside of collections, the Sega Ages rereleases for the Switch and 3DS are best in class; perfect emulation, every original variant and option, plenty of extras and QOL improvements - see, e.g., Phantasy Star's automapping)

12 hours ago, 5R7 said:

@Pob if you have a an xbox series console, you could use that for your emulation needs!

Has anyone here tried this? I couldn't see a thread in Retro. This might be a good solution as long as it's not a pain in the arse.