IGNORED

bond games

mchugh

i was just looking at the latest bond game on gamesradar and it made me think about the bond games i have played. i can't believe that theres still only one good one (you know the one). from what i can gather, this everything or nothing or whatever, and 'nightfire', were original stories, instead of being based on films? that strikes me as being a great idea, because it avoids having to shoehorn set-pieces into something interactive, but why is it always done so badly?

and a new goldeneye game? ... i wont get my hopes up

i was just looking at the latest bond game on gamesradar and it made me think about the bond games i have played. i can't believe that theres still only one good one (you know the one). from what i can gather, this everything or nothing or whatever, and 'nightfire', were original stories, instead of being based on films? that strikes me as being a great idea, because it avoids having to shoehorn set-pieces into something interactive, but why is it always done so badly?

and a new goldeneye game? ... i wont get my hopes up

because it avoids having a template to adhere to? :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Everything or Nothing was great too, and benefitted from being designed and scripted purely as a game. Of course, since it was made by EA, very few people will admit that it's any good.

I bought this when it came out, full price I may add, and I'm very happy with it. It's the best "Bond" game as far as I'm concerned as it includes all the things that make Bond. Goldeneye was obviously a better game but it could have been called "Counter Terorist Special Ops Hero Game!!!!" and it would have been the same.

Goldeneye was obviously a better game but it could have been called "Counter Terorist Special Ops Hero Game!!!!" and it would have been the same.

If that's the case, then why all the resentment for Perfect Dark?

Yes, 007: EON is actually very well put together - far more than I think EA/licence hators would have you believe. It's very action orientated and full of set pieces and is very (arcade-style) old fashioned. Just like Bond itself. Sure, it's shallow and gimmicky and no MGS (some of the action level leave a little to be desired) but it does what it's supposed to very well.

Everything or Nothing was great too, and benefitted from being designed and scripted purely as a game. Of course, since it was made by EA, very few people will admit that it's any good.

I gave it a rental and what bothered me about it was the pacing of the gameplay. It's made for the Sunny D crowd. It's beautifully put together and great to watch, but you couldn't fricking slow down and explore - you were constantly being shouted at by Judi Dench t jump off a building and see the next cut scene/scripted event. Great for people who like constant progression, but I like my spy games to be more sneaky.

It was more a rhetorical question, than anything else.

Because EoN is what Bond is like. Bond films would be rubbish if he just snuck in and out like a ninja. He doens't, thankfully, and instead blows loads of stuff up in some glorious set pieces, just like EoN

Yes, 007: EON is actually very well put together - far more than I think EA/licence hators would have you believe.

I had a quick go, and observed a friend of mine playing about 4 levels.

Graphics were average, FMV was decent enough, shooting/running seemed pretty woeful, and the game is shoved into do-this-like-this-then-do-that-like-that sections with no freedom whatsoever. Having to redo entire section just cos you got one little bit wrong is just... wrong.

Frankly, the whole thing seemed to stink of averageness.

Nightfire's not much better either, really (sticky controls and over-used scripting); however it has a semi-decent multiplayer mode.

Far better than the woeful Agent Under Fire. :o

(All tested on PS2, by the way)