Outriders - Square Enix co-op shooter

Couldn't find a thread on this. It releases in April, but there's a demo releasing on Thursday 25th Feb for everything bar Switch and Stadia. Developed by People Can Fly of Bulletstorm fame. I have to admit, it doesn't look particularly inspiring but I'm hoping some time with the demo proves me wrong.

Here's some info on the demo spoilered for length:

Spoiler

This will be a Demo, NOT a Beta.

It is entirely free. No purchase or pre-order required.

The demo is available in Germany on PlayStation, Xbox and PC (Steam). To download the demo for free on PlayStation you need a PS+ subscription. If you do not have PS+ in Germany, the demo is also available but you will have to undergo the usual age verification process.

The Demo will release at these SINGLE GLOBAL RELEASE times: Twitter Link

The demo will be available on the following Platforms:

PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC (Steam & streaming with NVIDIA GeForce NOW)

The download size for the demo will be:

PC: Minimum 24GB (possibly more after decompression)

Consoles: Minimum 22GB (possibly more after decompression)

Pre-loading is not currently planned to be available.

Crossplay will be available in the demo, but it will be in beta form and will need to be manually enabled via your settings.

Our Discord (Discord.gg/Outriders) has been set up with plenty of Looking-For-Group voice channels in case you’re looking to party up with any other players in particular.

There is no time limit, either for playing or for accessing it prior to launch. The demo is also planned to remain live beyond launch.

The demo includes the game’s prologue & opening chapter. This means that gear & enemies that you come across will be the early game variants. The further you get in the full Outriders story, the more twisted, exotic and powerful both gear & enemies will become

The demo runs up until the showdown with Gauss, the first rival Altered who may be even more dangerous than you.

Some side missions unlock after defeating Gauss so you will be able to go back and explore the world.

The demo includes all 4 classes and 6 character slots.

This means you can try out every class without needing to delete any characters.

Your Character levels are capped to Level 7

This will allow you to earn your classes 4th ability and be able to to mix and match your active skills in the demo.

This will also allow you to earn 2 skill points that you can apply to your skill tree.

You can progress up to World Tier 5.

World Tiers are our dynamic difficulty system. At level 5, your chance for higher rarity gear is increased, but the drop chance for Legendary Gear is still extremely low.

Resources will be capped at a certain (generous) amount in order to safeguard balancing for when you go into the main game.

Resources are mainly used within our extensive crafting system but can also be traded for better gear from the armorers in the game. The crafting system unlocks in the full game once you’re at a point beyond the demo content, but you can save your resources for use with that system.

You will be able to transfer your progress if you play the main game on the same platform account (Platforms are PlayStation / Xbox / Steam).

Progress will not transfer between the Demo on Steam and the Full Game on the Epic Store.

The demo will not include any trophies or achievements, but your in-game accolades will transfer along with your regular progress.

You are free to stream any part of the the Demo. No restrictions.

Please note that there is a trailer that plays at the end of the demo. As this trailer contains licensed music, we would recommend caution when streaming this section.

Answering user questions on Reddit, Square Enix Commu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idHWVjPD-Us&t=395s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHMXIh0nKc4&feature=emb_imp_woyt

https://status.outriders.net/

Conversely, I think it looks really interesting. The class choice and customisation will be great for the theory crafters. Onus firmly on action and taking it to the enemy (pretty much the only way to regain health is to kill stuff) some really good weaponry, no GAAS or MT and 12 (I think) bespoke crafted dungeons for end game with a world levelling system like the Division games.

Cautiously optimistic for this.

I'm all over this come Friday. It looks to be a very generous demo, and all progress carries over into the main game. Cross play too which is great news!

Word of warning for PC players: the Steam demo progress won't transfer to the EGS main game, so be sure to choose CDKeys/Steam if you end up pre-ordering.

I should really be looking forward to this. A looter shooter by the people who made Bulletstorm sounds like the perfect game but there's just something about the art style that is leaving me cold. Demo is a surprise move from them though and instills confidence they they reckon it's pretty good so will give it a whirl. 

I wouldn’t bother, you need to link to a squenix account, then its 100% server connection required and the servers are fucked, so even if you can get in you get booted out mid-mission. The music is shit, the writing  and performances are poor in the first few bits at least, and the 60fps feels well shaky on PS5.

Great first impressions! Interest gone.

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I wouldn’t bother, you need to link to a squenix account, then its 100% server connection required and the servers are fucked, so even if you can get in you get booted out mid-mission. The music is shit, the writing  and performances are poor in the first few bits at least, and the 60fps feels well shaky on PS5. Great first impressions. Interest gone.

I downloaded Elite to try on game pass earlier but it insisted I set up some account before allowing me past the title screen to even look at it so I deleted it. No time for all this fucking bullshit. 

Managed to get 30 minutes on SX.

Hmm, looks rough and pretty derivative. Appreciate its the opening chapter but the constant stop start of player control while some clunky story is presented is quite off-putting for me.

The run, gun, cover mechanic just made it feel like the Aldi version of GoW.

I had the impression the maps were open like Destiny however from what I saw it seemed far tighter with too many "you can't go here " invisible barriers.

Some of the fuggliest character models I've seen in a long time!

Aldi Gears of War :lol:

It's a strange demo. The opening is really slow and too stop start gameplay wise. It looks dated visually too, but once you get through the intro and pick a class the action picks up considerably and it's clear it has legs on that front. Guns feel good, the ai bad guys rush and flank and suppress. They keep you on your toes.

It's generic as fuck though. It's Mass Effect of War with added loot and a UI taken straight from Destiny. I dunno, I'm having fun with it but then I love a looter shooter. This one ain't one for a gaming connoisseur though.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's not? I thought it was a looter shooter. I couldn't get the demo to download so I'm just going off what people said in here. Tbh it doesn't sound worth downloading.

I'm not interested in it either, but no, it's not a GAAS. The game is basically the full package. I've worked on some of the marketing materials, which was actually quite fun. :)

Every time it loses its connection with the server you get booted and your mission resets to the last checkpoint. Fuck off.

Also the shakey-cam cut scenes are instavom. Appalling oversight.

And the entire demo takes place in a brown warzone, with a sub-Killzone 3 art style, killing Helghast, while the trailers are all vibrant sci-fi vistas and creatures.

Way to sell the game dumbasses.

It's not GaaS but still a disappointing demo. It's like they had a half-developed 360 game that was pitched for a Gears spin-off, never got made, slapped some generic characters on it (with a bunch of polish guys doing dreadful American accents) and called it a day. 

It doesn't run smoothly at all on a Series X. 

I was wondering about on console, because it doesn't run great on my PC either - but small things can cause PC games to go sideways.

I kinda enjoyed the demo. It's trash in a lot of ways, but it's simple, fun trash and the loot variety is actually pretty decent. Got an assault rifle that could proc explosive shots once every six seconds, so the first bullet would almost kill most enemies.

That said, it really does feel old. Nowhere is it more apparent than that interacting with nearly anything will trigger a loading screen or cutscene after a fade to black, almost nothing seamlessly flows into the next. 

Its fragmented structure reminds me of Gears: Judgement. Also developed by People Can Fly. Only this is missing grades/scores at the end of each bite-sized section.

I'll try some more this evening with my coop buddy, but playing solo was a distinctly average experience.

The hair is straight out a budget PS3 game, the cutscene transitions are terrible, plus they cut off the last word from the dialogue every time as well.

Loading screens are crap, and sometimes are on screen so briefly it’s a wonder they needed them. 

I’ve done the post prologue bit & the first mission ( recuse X ) three times now to try the powers out, there’s actually a lot of variety & the skill trees look interesting. 

Need to try it in co-op really, and unlock the third power for each of them.

There might be a good game under there but it’s buried under a mountain of mediocrity. 

2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I was wondering about on console, because it doesn't run great on my PC either - but small things can cause PC games to go sideways.

I kinda enjoyed the demo. It's trash in a lot of ways, but it's simple, fun trash and the loot variety is actually pretty decent. Got an assault rifle that could proc explosive shots once every six seconds, so the first bullet would almost kill most enemies.

That said, it really does feel old. Nowhere is it more apparent than that interacting with nearly anything will trigger a loading screen or cutscene after a fade to black, almost nothing seamlessly flows into the next. 

Regarding the PC Stuff - It sounds like forcing the game to use DX12 solves stuff like volumetric fog and lighting shitting the framerate up. Launch Options, "-force -dx12" without the quotation marks in the field. There's noticeably more shader caching, but after it's gone through an area it's pretty smooth.

But as for my own experience with the demo: 

Itemisation and Passives are really good, absolutely the best part - seems like plenty of variety in base weapons and the abilities they can drop with. Gunplay's fine outside of some strange camera reactions to gun recoil (why is the camera following the recoil trajectory of a shotgun to such an extreme degree?), but the movement and general concept just doesn't know what it wants to be - It's a cover shooter that you don't need cover, until you run into a random elite that's suddenly a meat shield and then you have to wrestle with half-baked cover mantle systems. Okay, bud.

Story is all over the place, has no concept of pacing and had me shouting between my friend how fucking stupid it all was. Add onto that a camera shake during cutscenes that mimics those Saturday evening camera crews where they rush in to film someone after pranking them. Distracting at best, motion sickness invoking at worst. Fucking sort it out.

As mentioned by Kayin, there's a lot of jank - Audio cutting out when you go into your inventory, audio breaks in cutscenes, and there's a bug when you're part of another game where the leader can run around and proc the first time tooltips unendingly.

I'm.. happy to leave it on the table for a good six months at the earliest, and it's definitely not something I'd be willing to pay fifty quid for. Me and my co-op partner did agree that there is a perverse sense of buying it just to see how jarring the story continues after the sheer level of narrative whiplash from the start of the game.