IGNORED

PSVR for PS5 on the way

Pob

Damn, lack of wireless as an option is a massive disappointment for me. I love(d) PSVR, but after sampling wireless VR -> PC link with the Quest 2, I can't see myself going back to wired.

The hassle of setup was always off-putting with PSVR, to the point that for a quick blast of games like Wipeout I'd often not bother even though it elevated the experience, and the cables are also a hassle in games with full range of movement - having to untangle yourself after turning 360 degrees in Superhot isn't the best.

9 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Oh man, I really hate having that dongle sticking out the front. Only a matter of time until it gets snagged on something and knocks the whole thing over or snaps off.

The dongle for the Arctis headphones is a good shape for this:

image.jpg

I did love my PSVR but towards the end I couldn't be arsed to set it up with all the faff. I do wish they'd gone the wireless route so it's just a case of putting the headset on; the wires did get in the way a bit. I'm interested to see how good it'll be, the improvements made but it'd have to be really good to make me want to buy wired VR again. 

16 hours ago, Wiper said:

Damn, lack of wireless as an option is a massive disappointment for me. I love(d) PSVR, but after sampling wireless VR -> PC link with the Quest 2, I can't see myself going back to wired.

The hassle of setup was always off-putting with PSVR, to the point that for a quick blast of games like Wipeout I'd often not bother even though it elevated the experience, and the cables are also a hassle in games with full range of movement - having to untangle yourself after turning 360 degrees in Superhot isn't the best.

it is a shame but I assume cost and this one will outperform a quest 2 one assumes, one wire is better but mine is plugged in all the time with the case in front of the telly and I still can’t be arsed with setting it up :lol:

Now, something it really needs to do is allow wireless headphones this time as the included ones were crap and another wire if you want to use decent ones.

From Quest 2 users, it sounds like wireless connections to PCs works well for VR headsets these days. Wasn't there always a concern that the small amount of latency would be amplified for head-tracking and increase the nausea?

I definitely much prefer the idea of totally wireless but I hadn't considered the extra bulk of on-board batteries.

I'm fine with a wire if it means performance is rock solid. Playing world 3 of Astrobot last night made me very happy about this announcement as you just know the sequel is already probably well into production. Buying the headset the minute it goes up for pre-order.

21 minutes ago, Pob said:

From Quest 2 users, it sounds like wireless connections to PCs works well for VR headsets these days. Wasn't there always a concern that the small amount of latency would be amplified for head-tracking and increase the nausea?

I definitely much prefer the idea of totally wireless but I hadn't considered the extra bulk of on-board batteries.

The downside is certainly limited battery life, or attaching an additional battery pack.

Outside of that, though, wireless works amazingly well. It's not just proof of concept, it's the best way to play most PCVR games.

Still hoping against hope that Astrobot gets the Horizon:ZD treatment and hops to PC. But it seems to be a genuine system-seller, so I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

The only issue I've had with wireless has been for rhythm action games - specifically Beat Saber - the lag is imperceptible in other games, but screws up the timing for that.

(battery life would also be a concern, but I tend to avoid using VR for extended periods so it's never actually run out on me)

A couple of games I play in VR involve continually rotating in a direction to take out waves of enemies, or slice notes with lightsabers.

I'm not sure how they'd be possible in a wired setup without having some kind of rotating connector on top. And even then you'd want to drop it in from above.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Ferine said:

Sony's internal push is for hybrid 'AAA' games that can be played in VR or on a TV, as opposed to separate 'experiences'.

Hmmm, this is interesting. VR allows for experiences you just could not have when playing on a normal telly (Beat Saber, Batman, certain parts of Half-Life Alyx), but at the same time you have racing/flying games that are a perfect fit for both (Elite: Dangerous (if you forget Odyssey!), Assetto Corsa, Wipeout Omega, Gran Turismo). Also, Skyrim was just Skyrim llloooooong before Skyrim VR was a thing, and Half-Life Alyx could easily be adapted to play on a normal TV with a pad or M&KB - I think there's a MOD that does this already.

If devs go into development with both VR and normal 2D in mind, this could work. No Man's Sky is probably the shining example of a game that just fucking works in VR and on a normal telly, and allows you to switch between the two fairly easily.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmmm, this is interesting. VR allows for experiences you just could not have when playing on a normal telly (Beat Saber, Batman, certain parts of Half-Life Alyx), but at the same time you have racing/flying games that are a perfect fit for both (Elite: Dangerous (if you forget Odyssey!), Assetto Corsa, Wipeout Omega, Gran Turismo). Also, Skyrim was just Skyrim llloooooong before Skyrim VR was a thing, and Half-Life Alyx could easily be adapted to play on a normal TV with a pad or M&KB - I think there's a MOD that does this already.

If devs go into development with both VR and normal 2D in mind, this could work. No Man's Sky is probably the shining example of a game that just fucking works in VR and on a normal telly, and allows you to switch between the two fairly easily.

I suppose it’s one way for them to push VR to the masses, if all their flagship titles are built with it in mind, but it does smell a bit like MS trying to turn everything into a Kinect game all those years ago and we know how that turned out.

I can’t see it personally, but then VR isn’t something I’ve dabbled with all that much yet.

The hybrid thing is not particularly weird to me as most of the VR games I have put time into are already like that - Squadrons, NMS, Wipeout, Rez, Ace Combat 7 - the only one that isn’t is Astro Bot, and it’s not much of a stretch to imagine that working either way (as we already had a pancake version or two).

The one game in my collection that I first thought would break my argument was Superhot - and then I realized it’s also already a hybrid (hating that term already).

Sony aren't idiots - they won't make VR horizon/god of war etc and risk the big franchises that support their 70 dollar high scoring epics market that they do so well.

When they mean hybrid - its clearly for those games that VR makes sense at the outset.  This means Skyrim/Resident Evil type outlings like last gen (ie first person games)/Racing games/games with cockpits etc that work perfectly well both in 2D and VR without any design compromises on either side. All the devs making Oculus Quest games will likey be happy to have their software on PSVR too for a more dedicated VR software base. 

I wonder if Sony could commit to all their first-party games being “playable in VR”. So something like the next GoW wouldn't allow you to throw the axe around or anything like that, but you could play it regularly with a DualSense whilst being able to look around in the headset, perhaps using your point of view for aiming or other logical remapping.

The majority of Sony's PS4 games aimed for 30fps, whereas the trend this generation is to at least offer a 60fps performance mode. Combine that with VR-specific optimisations, such as foveated rendering and variable resolution scaling, and I wonder if including a no-frills VR mode isn't as onerous a proposition as it once was. If Sony has various guidelines/tools in place for its studios from the start, making their games VR compatible might only take a few more months.

Obviously I'm more interested in games built with VR in mind, but I do think the sense of scale imparted by VR could add to most of Sony's games. It's also just a good way to get people in the door.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Anyone know what these are/how they would work?

It's a traditional 'rumble' motor(s), basically a spinning weight. So not a linear actuator like you get in the DualSense.

Presumably the older mechanism is more effective at mitigating motion sickness, although I don't know the scientific basis for the design; it's something to do with tricking your vestibular system via bone vibration. Sony do have a related patent but that isn't exactly the easiest thing to follow. If they're going ahead with the feature I guess it must've been shown to be of some benefit, though.

I don't mind a wire if it's one that simply plugs into a usb port or similar. I'm another person who got rid of PSVR due to the cable faff. It did end up gathering dust after the initial wow factor rubbed off.

But a cable will presumably allow for better game experiences/graphics etc so I don't mind the trade off.

6 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I don't mind a wire if it's one that simply plugs into a usb port or similar. I'm another person who got rid of PSVR due to the cable faff. It did end up gathering dust after the initial wow factor rubbed off.

But a cable will presumably allow for better game experiences/graphics etc so I don't mind the trade off.

Totally this. If it’s not wireless, it needs a single USB-C cable that plugs into the front of the PS5 and nothing else.

I sold my gen2 PS VR headset a couple of months ago and it made me sick to the stomach the amount of wires and cables and boxes it had. Couldn’t believe I willingly put all that shit behind my TV unit.

13 hours ago, Ferine said:

I wonder if Sony could commit to all their first-party games being “playable in VR”. So something like the next GoW wouldn't allow you to throw the axe around or anything like that, but you could play it regularly with a DualSense whilst being able to look around in the headset, perhaps using your point of view for aiming or other logical remapping.

The majority of Sony's PS4 games aimed for 30fps, whereas the trend this generation is to at least offer a 60fps performance mode. Combine that with VR-specific optimisations, such as foveated rendering and variable resolution scaling, and I wonder if including a no-frills VR mode isn't as onerous a proposition as it once was. If Sony has various guidelines/tools in place for its studios from the start, making their games VR compatible might only take a few more months.

Obviously I'm more interested in games built with VR in mind, but I do think the sense of scale imparted by VR could add to most of Sony's games. It's also just a good way to get people in the door.

Yeah, I'd expect the VR part to basically become the third-person camera in (most) games as an option. That or convert the first-person view. They probably still have some tools laying about from when film peeps tried to convert the world to 3D viewing. I would plump down some cash for being able to play Ghost of Tsushima again as a disembodied floating head following Sakai in 3D.