IGNORED

PSVR for PS5 on the way

Pob

57 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

It’s weird Microsoft don’t have VR on Xbox considering the amount of excellent options on PC that could presumably be ported over pretty easily.

PSVR was amazing on PS4 and can’t wait for the new one.

Given the frankly hilarious disaster that was Kinect, I'm not too surprised that MS are wary of pushing another bit of kit in a similar field. That said, VR is pretty much proven now, there's no better time for MS to jump in. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Given the frankly hilarious disaster that was Kinect, I'm not too surprised that MS are wary of pushing another bit of kit in a similar field. That said, VR is pretty much proven now, there's no better time for MS to jump in. 

Hardly a disaster, it was one of the most successful hardware launches ever and sold 35 million of them for the 360! That's almost half the install base buying it! 

True, it was utter shit, didn't work and everyone who bought one was lied to via false advertising, but certainly made them bank. 

I wonder if age is a factor? I'm old enough to remember ASCII Tie Fighters on the ZX81 and am still in awe at VR. I loved the PSVR and bought most games for it, but Gran Turismo gave me enough of a hint of what was possible that I defected to PC gaming primarily to play Assetto Corsa Competizione in VR.

I still grin like a loon whilst sat on the grid and 'looking' over at the guy next to me. I have been known to wave. 

Sony's headset is still the most comfortable and best integrated VR system and I'll forgive it the cable compromise considering how well everything else just worked. (Apart from the controllers). If the new version is as described with decent, included controllers and better resolution, I'll be buying a PS5.

21 hours ago, womblingfree said:

It’s weird Microsoft don’t have VR on Xbox considering the amount of excellent options on PC that could presumably be ported over pretty easily.

PSVR was amazing on PS4 and can’t wait for the new one.

Agree on both statements there!

MS are just playing it safe and being conservative - game box to play games approach. The FIFA of console hardware if you will. One thing you can bet though is if Sony PSVR2 starts gaining traction then MS will be right in there... probably partner up with a headset maker, port some libraries and then PC games over. They have the resource to get into the field but its not their strategy at the moment.

Sony again are pushing the envelope and trying to bring innovative tech to the masses. To be fair they have been in VR field for a long time - I used some of their dev tools for the PC back in '98 (community place) for my final year project... granted there were no consumer VR headsets around back then but they had created a interactive VRML player and at the time it was the only organisation that had released something for general consumption to the public that allowed a good level of interaction and control in a VRML world.

In the end who knows about VR - Facebook and Sony clearly think it has legs - however think that the dealbreaker for many is the size of the headsets etc. It will get there I think when VR is like putting a pair of sunglasses on and you just use your hands somehow without large sensors. The equipment just needs to be less intrusive. Also of course motion sickness issues etc.

Personally I've been waiting for consumer level VR for years. I was blown away by PSVR (initially dismissed it as a gimmick until I tried it!). Soon as the PSVR2 gets a pre-order list I'm on it. This is by far the best consumer lever VR experience I have had. Can't wait for PSVR2 coupled with say Gran Turismo 7. Going to something special that combo. Love VR for the fact it brings a genuinely new experience to gaming and media in general. It is moving things forward. Rather than another gamebox with prettier graphics and similar gameplay to what has gone before. Gaming tech has stagnated over the past decade IMHO and VR is one thing that is moving tech forward and pushing it into a new generation. VR for me is the true next generation of gaming. 

So well done Sony for taking the risk. We need companies like this. To inspire and move things forward, to bring new experiences to the public.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

One thing you can bet though is if Sony PSVR2 starts gaining traction then MS will be right in there... probably partner up with a headset maker, port some libraries and then PC games over. They have the resource to get into the field but its not their strategy at the moment.

They seem happy to leave it as a PC thing.  We'll see when WMR2 finally happens. It does seem like a no brainer to make it part of Xbox Consoles.

MS's tiered console approach wouldn't work too well for VR, at least for next gen VR.  The S's reduced resolution is fine for TV gaming.  It'd be a bit poop for VR.  Guess they could make it X only. They also forgot the USB C port. 🙄

This is the right approach from Sony: go big or go home. This will be the acid test of whether VR can ever be more than a niche platform, asssuming the hardware is priced at the same kind of level as PSVR1 at launch. AAA game commitment will, in theory, raise all ships as Oculus will have to respond. I've always thought that this was necessary to grow the market properly, as so-called 'experiences' and games developed by tiny indie studios can only take you so far.

My only slight worry is that providing additional VR modes for so-called 'flat' games will essentially be a 2.5D kinda step in many cases, but we've already seen from the likes of No Man's Sky that when VR is thought out properly, it can really elevate a game... and in that example it's even with the horrible Move controllers! How that game will be on PS5 with PSVR2 and a set of decent controllers, assuming it comes, will be mind-boggling. Surely Hello Games are going to be ready at launch with an update. And even something like the new God of War would be more immersive in VR with a third person camera set behind Kratos! Even if you do nothing else it'll still add something, but with devs who really put the effort in to take advantage of VR, it'll be amazing.

Rez Infinite 2 as launch title, please!

Much as I really love my PSVR it never got away from being a gimmick, even though it's great and I've used it off and on for years.  Like, Astrobot was my game of the year but I play in 30 minute sessions. When the VR gets put away, it stays away.  When it does come back out I'm blown away by it.  It's amazing, it's awesome but even so it's never become something I use as a mainstream thing.  Like, I'm impressed watching a movie on the big screen but never actually sat and watched a whole movie.  

• 4 months later...

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/

Visual Fidelity: For a high-fidelity visual experience, PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.

Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.

New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.

Eye Tracking: With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming. 

All of these advancements in PlayStation VR2, combined with the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers from the PS VR2 Sense controllers, enable players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. PS VR2 will also have a simple setup process — with a single cable connected directly to PS5, you can immediately jump into the VR experience.

Today we are also pleased to reveal that one of the biggest exclusive franchises on PlayStation will be coming to PS VR2 – Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla and Firesprite. This original game is being built specifically for PS VR2 and will open the doors for players to go deeper into the world of Horizon.

Sounds great - and a new Horizon game exclusive to PSVR2 is a cracking start.  Just needs more Astrobot now. 

As a reference point the display is a higher res than the Valve Index (although a lower max refresh and smaller FoV). The Index doesn’t do inside out tracking or have the super fancy headset rumble and that costs nearly £700 for headset and controllers.

16 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

I'm not sure head-rumble is something I particularly want. If it gets Alyx I'll buy one though

If that means you'll feel something, anything when you move through 3D space, it might actually alleviate a lot of cases of VR-sickness.

19 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I really hope there’s a wireless option in there, similar to Air Link in Quest. Otherwise, despite the spec bump, this headset is already facing an uphill battle in terms of ease of use. 

Uuugh, totally missed this part. Yeah, wired in 2022 is a no-go.

Quest Link is supposed to be surprisingly near to the wired connection in terms of lag, at the cost of some image quality. It’s still an “experimental” feature and I can’t see Sony wanting to put in a battery pack and Wi-Fi radio for a feature that they’re going to have to label “might not work for you”, but probably in a few years time they’ll need to sell a wireless adaptor or an upgraded model to catch back up to where the tech is.

You can get specially designed point to point wireless for some headsets and it’s basically magic, but I looked at the price of the wireless add-on pack for the Vive and yikes.

Well, when units start to appear with people like DF and we discover a mysterious hinged door on the back of it, with an even more mysterious port inside, then we'll know what it's for ;)

18 minutes ago, Pob said:

How is local wireless streaming of high-res, high-framerate video these days? Is there perceptible latency?

I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be pretty good streaming the likes of Half-Life Alyx to Quest from a PC. I guess my question would be what the actual PSVR2 headset itself features in terms of CPU power. If the PS5 is basically doing 'everything' via the cable, and the headset is pretty much just sending tracking data to the console and is incapable of much else, then streaming may be a complete no-go. But what I hope is that Sony has futureproofed this thing, and we either get a streaming option out of the gate or a bit further down the line, or it releases a wireless adapter. Then again, I don't know whether 4K HDR being streamed to any headset at this point would even be possible. Lots of unknowables at this point.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

It’s a shame it isn’t completely wireless but apart from that it sounds amazing. Just need to know what the price will be. Based on the specs I’m expecting it to be very pricey.

It'll be sold at a loss to the target demographic (in other words not the general public), money is made via software. VR is very niche, there's no chance they sell this for a profit.

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’m assuming the USB C connection means there’s no breakout box this time.

From what I've read it's just a single cable to the PS5. Not perfect but far better than the current setup on the PS4.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

How is local wireless streaming of high-res, high-framerate video these days? Is there perceptible latency?

It can be very good but it requires you to have a decent network setup. For example, you'll probably want a better router than supplied by your ISP and the machine you're streaming from really needs to be using a wired connection. Not huge hurdles for enthusiasts, but not exactly plug-and-play for most consumers.

I think the chances of a wireless add-on for PSVR2 are good as essentially it just needs to be a dedicated pair of USB-C RF receivers and an ergonomically designed battery pack for the headset itself. Including that stuff as standard would have big implications for the base cost, though, hence the prioritisation of making sure everyone has eye-tracking and a nice OLED screen instead; those features benefit every game, whilst the experiential difference of wireless will depend on the title.

14 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be pretty good streaming the likes of Half-Life Alyx to Quest from a PC. I guess my question would be what the actual PSVR2 headset itself features in terms of CPU power. If the PS5 is basically doing 'everything' via the cable, and the headset is pretty much just sending tracking data to the console and is incapable of much else, then streaming may be a complete no-go. But what I hope is that Sony has futureproofed this thing, and we either get a streaming option out of the gate or a bit further down the line, or it releases a wireless adapter. Then again, I don't know whether 4K HDR being streamed to any headset at this point would even be possible. Lots of unknowables at this point.

Yeah, assuming that they have little onboard processing with no memory, wireless or battery, you'd need a fairly substantial add-on to pop into your pocket. Couldn't imagine Sony wanting to fuck with their excellent balance and ergonomics by adding it physically to the headset.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Wouldn’t a wireless VR headset communicate directly to the computer rather than going via your router?

It doesn't with the Oculus, goes through the router. Presumably because if the onboard Wifi hardware had to make an ad-hoc connection, it would need to disconnect from the internet.

If they still work that way.