IGNORED

PSVR for PS5 on the way

Pob

On 04/08/2021 at 12:44, Ferine said:

: having GT7 fully playable on a screen or in a headset shouldn't be that disruptive, whereas adapting Horizon to make the most of VR would be a huge design challenge.

Today we are also pleased to reveal that one of the biggest exclusive franchises on PlayStation will be coming to PS VR2 – Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla and Firesprite. This original game is being built specifically for PS VR2 and will open the doors for players to go deeper into the world of Horizon.

Challenge accepted. 

Wireless VR presently isn't as sure-fire as some think. The Oculus solution to connect to a PC isn't great and no way in fucking hell would your average user manage to get it working properly. If that was the only wireless option for Sony right now then they're right to exclude it. They'd get fuckloads of "faulty" returns and a load of bad user reviews simply saying "it doesn't work".  The Oculus Quest is great but battery life isn't all that unless you spend more, and the games are limited or variations on really old games. Resi 4 in VR is amazing, but it's still Resi 4 which is a seventeen year-old game and looks it. Yes, VR elevates it, but compare that to Half Life Alyx and ... llllloooooolllll.

The other option is dedicated wireless hardware for the PS5 and PSVR. Not only is that expensive and would cause battery issues, but correct me if I'm wrong, that's still open to outside interference from other wireless devices in the house, neighbours' wi-fi etc. All of that is outside of Sony's control and could again lead to returns and bad reviews. So again, I believe Sony have done the right thing, kept it wired but simplified it with just one cable that goes into the front of the PS5, and then concentrated on what they can control: The visuals, and the ease & comfort of the experience.

27 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Disappointed by the visuals.

U WOT M8??

In 4k and VR that will rock your cock off!

10 minutes ago, Harsin said:

For me wireless has been utterly transformative for VR and I think I'd really struggle to go back I think.

Is that VR using the Quest anywhere or VR Linked to a PC?

I appreciate a cable can get in the way but, if you are using a PC or console for horse power, you have to stay in one place anyway.

Both. I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of Quest only games and recently played Half Life Alyx (via wireless connection to my PC, playing on a different floor of the house to the PC) and was blown away by it (would still rate Resident Evil 4 VR slightly above it in terms of how much I enjoyed it, even though the graphics aren't as impressive and it doesn't have physics stuff).

That Horizon video looks like the PS4 version, which kind lines up as most PSVR games sat somewhere between PS3 and PS4 in terms of visuals.

I will be interesting to see what difference foveated rendering makes; my understanding is that it uses eye tracking to render the area of the screen the user is looking at in a high level of detail with parts in the peripheral vision being less detailed.  Potentially this frees up processing time to allow for more visual bells and whistles whilst rendering two images at a high frame rate. 

2 minutes ago, tobert said:

That Horizon video looks like the PS4 version, which kind lines up as most PSVR games sat somewhere between PS3 and PS4 in terms of visuals.

I will be interesting to see what difference foveated rendering makes; my understanding is that it uses eye tracking to render the area of the screen the user is looking at in a high level of detail with parts in the peripheral vision being less detailed.  Potentially this frees up processing time to allow for more visual bells and whistles whilst rendering two images at a high frame rate. 

If you watch it on a larger screen the background does look pretty blurray and not in a nice depth of field kinda way.

Good luck getting one of these at launch lol

2 minutes ago, tobert said:

The key difference here is the resolution. If it's in 4k it'll look genuinely stunning in VR.  PS4 era visuals at 4k res in VR will get rave reviews. 

I've wiped my Facebook-account and I'm not buying a Quest on principle. Was eyeing Valve's Index when Alyx came out but it's pricey, so I've put my eggs in this basket. PSVR was great and very comfortable, but held back by the cables and low res. But this sounds like one of the best headsets yet, being the first with eyetracking, headset haptics and OLED + HDR. I hope they'll do a full reveal soon. Give me that Astro Bot sequel.

Definitely getting it, just having VR in my own house instead of having to go to either the basement of the trocadero or the early days of quake demo and dark forces in a VR helmet.... it's just crazy fucking future shit and i love it. 

I don't even play the 1st psvr that much really but it's still amazing to me, just to have. 

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Was eyeing Valve's Index...

Don't. It's way overpriced for what you get, and it requires those fucking sensors. If the index used Inside-out tracking I'd look more seriously at it. But the miniscule bump in res and view over the Oculus Rift just isn't worth the ridiculous added expense. I'm really glad I didn't go for that now and stuck with the Rift in hindsight. I'm pinning my hopes on PSVR2 being the next big thing for VR. 

This isn't the acid test for VR, that - disappointing as it is to say, is with Facebook. The Quest did big time numbers as a chrimbo present. Top app on iOS etc.

And frankly, it's really good. The graphics are good enough, it has no wires, and it doesn't need a PC, so parents can hand it over and forget about it.

(It also has the GOTY that is Resi 4). 

I'm day one for PSVR2, but it is a shame about the wire, but I understand that wireless won't be there yet (for the price point they want). And a single cable, that mounts sensibly at the front, is leagues ahead of PSVR though.

Paper Beast, Resi 4, Rez, Tetris Connect, Astrobot, Batman, Beat Saber - VR does have legs. And Resi has shown it more than ever. 

IF it was anyone other than Sony I'd have said they need to price it realistically for people to get on board, but they don't give a fuck. It probably needs to be £349-£399 but I don't see how that's possible given what it is.

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

IF it was anyone other than Sony I'd have said they need to price it realistically for people to get on board, but they don't give a fuck. It probably needs to be £349-£399 but I don't see how that's possible given what it is.

You’re always bloody moaning.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

What would your ideal launch lineup be for this thing? Mine is pretty obvious, but:

Rez Infinite 2

Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2

Half-Life Alyx

I'm there day one if any of these make it.

MS Flight Sim ;)

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

From a hardware point of view Sony have not been charging much though? Software on the other hand... 

I just hope there is a VR version of Village that ships with this. Granted, I played REVII in VR first which was revolutionary, I still think a VR version of Village would be insane. The Vârcolacs would be absolutely horrific in VR.