PS3 = £429

PS Vita = £229/£279

PS4 = £349

PS4 Pro = £349

PSVR = £349

PS5 = £359/£449

Prediction:

PSVR2 = £399

I think everything Sony launched after PS3 has been speculated to be £599 at launch and it never has been the case.

I was soured on the new PSVR when they said it wasn't wireless.

Now, I don't mind. I hardly play my quest now as it doesn't have many great AAA seating experiences. I only used it for BoxVR and Beat Sabre very occasionally

With PSVR2 I'm now thinking about having brilliant experiences with actual stories that will engross me. Rather than playing a simple game for an hour at a time. 

9 minutes ago, AI said:

Sony hardware UK launch prices:

PS1 = £299

PS2 = £299

PSP = £179

PS3 = £429

PS Vita = £229

PS4 = £349

PS4 Pro = £349

PSVR = £349

PS5 = £359/£449

Prediction:

PSVR2 = £399

I think everything Sony launched after PS3 has been speculated to be £599 at launch and it never has been the case.

I remember it from the time too of course ('work more hours to buy one') but that's still a pretty incredible price that the PS3 launched at. About £650 in today's money! That said, the PS1 actually wasn't all that far behind: £600 now.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Depends on the nature of Facebook/Meta's exclusivity deal.

Of course. But I can totally see Sony pushing for a console version. And I can also see Meta / Facebook only wanting standalone / pc exclusivity.

I'll be disappointed if the software consists mainly of spin-off experiences (ala that Horizon game shown up-thread), rather than letting me play the console game in VR.

After Resi 7, it was pretty slim pickings for full, top-tier games (apart from Astro, obvs).

How was Sony's first party support after launch? After Astrobot and the rest of the initial wave, I don't remember much and at the first big event they had after PSVR came out they dedicated more time to Knack 2 and VR stuff was related to one of those minute long montages small indie games get. Hopefully, they'll be a bit more proactive on the software post-launch this go around.

46 minutes ago, Harsin said:

How was Sony's first party support after launch? After Astrobot and the rest of the initial wave, I don't remember much and at the first big event they had after PSVR came out they dedicated more time to Knack 2 and VR stuff was related to one of those minute long montages small indie games get. Hopefully, they'll be a bit more proactive on the software post-launch this go around.

I could be forgetting stuff (most likely), but I can only remember a roped-off part of GT and then the Aim controller after Astrobot, in terms of support. Edit: of course, I'm forgetting Blood & Truth, from London Studio.

Don't get me wrong, as an add-on, it probably saw more games than most others I can recall from previous consoles, and plenty good/great games, just not as many Resi 7 style offerings.

Edit: encouragingly from what I've read, they will be trying to get devs to offer straight-up VR modes in their PS5 titles, as an extra feature, rather than Arkham VR stuff.

Assuming foveated rendering tracks your eye movement with cameras and IR lights, I wonder how they deal with the distorting effect of prescription glasses in the way (twice)? Assume not an issue.

9 hours ago, mexos said:

Did they mention anything about compatibility with other games - specifically GT7?

Nothing said yet, and at the rate Polyphony do stuff, perhaps it’ll get a PSVR3 update!

With VR needing either 90 or 120hz and GT7 aiming for 60, I wonder if we’ll see it at all. I think the changes of them doing a WipeOut and updating the whole game for VR (which is the best experience I had in PSVR) is pretty slim.

If it supports all the existing software and it gets ports like Half-Life Alyx, I think I'll get one. I've still got loads of PS4 VR titles to get through first (I can't play them for long, I get nausea) and I would obviously need a PS5, but still... interested!

One USB cable would be a massive improvement over the V1 kit I'm still using.

2 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

One USB cable would be a massive improvement over the V1 kit I'm still using.

Yeah, that's a bit of a nightmare alright. Wireless would have been nice but single wire is very acceptable (particularly as I assume it's going to be a USB-C that pops straight into the front).

Annoyed the PS5 is so stingy with USB slots though. Using PSVR1 uses near damn all of them!

4 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Annoyed the PS5 is so stingy with USB slots though. Using PSVR1 uses near damn all of them!

I use a usb-hub to add extra ports for the camera and psvr on the back. It doesn’t interfere with operation, and the hdd has its own dedicated port.

front A-type is used for charging/syncing move controllers.

i also have charging cradles for PS4/5 controllers.

I'd be very surprised if the kit is less than 399 GBP. I'm hoping they try to make the dedicated controller a standard part rather than the odd situation with the Move, which would add a chunk to the cost (negating some of the saving of not needing the camera or addon module thingie).

Has foveated rendering been confirmed anywhere? I'd assume it needs quite powerful hardware in the headset itself to be low latency enough. Though even if the eye tracking is fairly basic than that it will still allow for lots of cool stuff. (Eye tracking cameras have no trouble with glasses btw!)

The spec I'm most interested in is the weight of the HMD, I found PSVR1 pretty uncomfortable.

I just realised I've still not played RE7 in VR. :ph34r:

On 05/01/2022 at 20:25, Corranga said:

Nothing said yet, and at the rate Polyphony do stuff, perhaps it’ll get a PSVR3 update!

With VR needing either 90 or 120hz and GT7 aiming for 60, I wonder if we’ll see it at all. I think the changes of them doing a WipeOut and updating the whole game for VR (which is the best experience I had in PSVR) is pretty slim.

Perhaps GT7 has been developed in tandem with the PSVR2 kit? So we'll have PSVR2 integration from the get go on PSVR2 release? Staying positive here.... :) 

...or perhaps that's just because it is a seriously delayed ps4 game that they've upgraded for ps5 ;)

At the rate Polyphony do things, I'd be very surprised if we see GT7 in VR at PSVR launch.

Keeping positive...  I'm already spending all my positive points on believing GT7 will actually launch in March ;)

9 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

I just realised I've still not played RE7 in VR. :ph34r:

It's brilliant. It would be even better with the new controllers implemented but can't see Capcom bothering with that.

4 hours ago, Corranga said:

Keeping positive...  I'm already spending all my positive points on believing GT7 will actually launch in March ;)

It was March 2022 as the confirmed release date?! Know what you mean about Polyphony and release dates though.... :D

56 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It was March 2022 as the confirmed release date?! Know what you mean about Polyphony and release dates though.... :D

March 4th, yeah.

I'm a happy camper if they have Horizon Call of the Mountain, Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2 and Half-Life Alyx at launch for this. Maybe Resident Evil Village VR as well.

On 06/01/2022 at 16:25, SeanR said:

I use a usb-hub to add extra ports for the camera and psvr on the back. It doesn’t interfere with operation, and the hdd has its own dedicated port.

front A-type is used for charging/syncing move controllers.

i also have charging cradles for PS4/5 controllers.

I think at one point I dug out one of the old four-port hubs you got with Rock Band :D - it was useful for charging when preparing for any VR game that needed two Moves plus a DualShock for navigation…

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Can't watch the vid as I'm out and about with no headphones. Looking forward to watching layer though.

That video didn't really tell me much more than the conclusions I'd already drawn from the spec list website, but I'm well and on my way to the station to board the hype train now!

They speculate on price stating something like "it needs to be 499 max" so obviously that's only DF's opinion.

It's an American guy who says it, so I presume he means dollars.  The PS5 itself is 499, so that'd likely be 450 quid here.

I want to think that's too expensive, but objectively, for what you'd get, it'd be a decent deal.

Spec wise, it makes something like Valve Index begins to look last gen, and then you have the bonus (hopefully) of Sony investing in high end first party developments, and not needing to throw a grand at a high end PC to make things look pretty (just a 450 quid console...)

Of course, if you compare it to Quest 2.....  I think we all know Quest 2 is a bit of a bargain, but it's also a bit like comparing a PS3 to a PS5.