IGNORED

PSVR for PS5 on the way

Pob

My guess is that Sony doesn't want an 'accessory' to cost more than the console – at least the one with the disc drive – so they'll likely take a bit of loss on each unit sold; the original PSVR had a good software attach rate so they should make up the loss relatively easily.

On the other hand, it would be great if Sony officially supported PCVR. Technologically this should be pretty simple but it doesn't really gel with selling the hardware at a loss as those users wouldn't be spending money in the PlayStation ecosystem, so I suspect we're going to have to rely on fan-made drivers unless Sony have grander plans in terms of releasing VR games on PC.

53 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Of course, if you compare it to Quest 2.....  I think we all know Quest 2 is a bit of a bargain, but it's also a bit like comparing a PS3 to a PS5.

But, as they say in the DF video, the Quest 2 includes a computer in the price, and the PSVR2 doesn't need to do that.

18 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

That “American guy” is a fucking god and he lives in Germany :quote:

You'd think he'd be clued up enough to mention which currency when he's speculating then :hat:

(of course in PS5-era Sony land, it's dollar-euros anyway)

I admit... I have no idea who he is.  I liked him, which for an American on a YouTube video is definitely a compliment!

18 hours ago, Pob said:

But, as they say in the DF video, the Quest 2 includes a computer in the price, and the PSVR2 doesn't need to do that.

I completely agree, but.... I'm 99% certain this thing isn't going to be cheaper than a Quest 2 despite it having less kit in there.

It'll be much the same situation as PSVR was at the time.  Compared to almost all VR solutions, it'll look like a bargain, everything else needs a PC or doesn't have controllers (google card etc).

Then we get to the Quest, which has very good controllers, and good resolution and FOV, and the CPU power of a budget mobile phone in there, and operates, wirelessly as a PC headset, yet is still cheaper than most PC only headsets available.  As much as I don't want to be that guy that is plugging a Facebook (meta...) product, it's the stand out, not the norm.

PSVR is still going to be the cheapest way to get games that look as good as they will I expect.

8 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I admit... I have no idea who he is.  I liked him, which for an American on a YouTube video is definitely a compliment!I

If you ever get a chance, it’s worth rummaging through his DF Retro videos, see if he’s covered some of your faves from back in the day. These are up there with the best gaming content on the internet I reckon:

The above is a playlist, worth opening the contents and seeing if anything leaps out :) 

On 05/01/2022 at 18:58, Reynard said:

I could be forgetting stuff (most likely), but I can only remember a roped-off part of GT and then the Aim controller after Astrobot, in terms of support. Edit: of course, I'm forgetting Blood & Truth, from London Studio.

Don't get me wrong, as an add-on, it probably saw more games than most others I can recall from previous consoles, and plenty good/great games, just not as many Resi 7 style offerings.

Edit: encouragingly from what I've read, they will be trying to get devs to offer straight-up VR modes in their PS5 titles, as an extra feature, rather than Arkham VR stuff.

its going to be tricky to design games that work with a flat screen and Vr.  You cannot move quickly in vr and even cutscenes with dodgy movement is going to make good portion of your users motion sick very quickly, comfort options to mitigate sickness only goes so far.

im hoping Sony port all of their PSVR exclusives to PCVR.

Agreed on the pitfalls, @simms.  Certainly wouldn't be suitable for most games. 

I guess they're imagining the likes of Wipeout, Resi 7 and Hitman, where you can play the same content via the different medium, rather than them being completely different experiences/spin-offs.