PSVR2 - 22 Feb 2023, £530

Pob

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Jesus that guy guy must have been hot wearing all that gear, including a mask! 

A shame there’s no built in sound/headphones, and the controllers seem lacking compared to Valve’s, but it’s still a step up from using Move controllers. 

I imagine RE8 is an incredible experience on it, and if they get Alyx for it then I’m tempted, even though I have suffered from quite bad VR sickness in the past. 

I think the comparison to valve hardware in that video is somewhat stupid without putting the caveat that is a £1000 headset and so obviously it has more tech in the controllers. The Quest 2 price wise is the nearest comparator 

14 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I think the comparison to valve hardware in that video is somewhat stupid without putting the caveat that is a £1000 headset and so obviously it has more tech in the controllers. The Quest 2 price wise is the nearest comparator 

True, although we don’t know how much PSVR2 is yet, hopefully not a grand 😬

Going off topic slightly, well, completely, I find it odd that Sony are leaning so hard into VR yet completely abandoned handheld. The Vita may not have done as well as the PSP but I bet it did as well as PSVR if not better, and with the ability to stream games from the Premium catalogue it would be great. 

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

And I assume no word on back compatibility with PSVR as yet, aware it will be patches and tracking issues but you think they would have said one way or another.

There definitely isn't going to be backwards compatibility, but patches? Hmmm... the tracking is so different (effectively it's completely the opposite to before - inside out rather than outside in - and with totally new controllers!) and the headset is pretty different too.

I'd say that it's likely we'll be resold new versions of some old games, as the port work to make them compatible will be fairly substantial and there will need to be graphical enhancements to prevent games looking too old for the much better visuals possible with PSVR2. That being said, we'll get generous devs like Hello Games who will give us a free VR upgrade for No Man's Sky, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hitman 3 gets a free upgrade too. The big one for me is Resi 7... that would seem like a no-brainer given that the base game already has a next gen patch, but would Capcom fund the development of a free VR upgrade or want us to pay? Or just simply not do it? But given that Resi 8 is getting a VR version, I'd love an enhanced version of 7. Has it been confirmed yet whether 8's VR will be included if you already have the game, or is it a whole new product?

Sony's own games are an interesting one. It would be brilliant to get a new version of Wipeout Omega Collection, for example, and the Dreams VR mode would be a country mile better with PSVR2 so I'm sure that'll happen at some point. Meanwhile, will there be a port of the original Astrobot to go alongside the obviously-happening-because-it-must sequel? I'd say that depends on how far the sequel is along - if it's a launch game, maybe no port. If it's a bit further out, though, then a new version of the original to whet our appetites would be a smart move. Free for existing owners, though? Hmmm... my guess is 'no', but we'll see. Sony must see the opportunity for some quick and dirty next gen upgrades that can effectively be sold as new games, particularly if they see PSVR2 as being a bigger success.

It could be like how the Switch has loads of Wii U ports and many of these have sold more than they did on the older console. Is it better to be generous in giving free upgrades for old games to build goodwill, or is it more savvy business-wise to present them as new when you potentially have a lot of all-new VR customers piling in? Sony will have a direction on this, and I expect it'll be obvious pretty early on which way they're going.

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Going off topic slightly, well, completely, I find it odd that Sony are leaning so hard into VR yet completely abandoned handheld. The Vita may not have done as well as the PSP but I bet it did as well as PSVR if not better, and with the ability to stream games from the Premium catalogue it would be great. 

I guess there’s only so many bloody noses you can get before you learn to stop walking into the brick wall.

Looking at the switch numbers this week they clearly made the right call. VR is a market that is still wide open. 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I guess there’s only so many bloody noses you can get before you learn to stop walking into the brick wall.

Looking at the switch numbers this week they clearly made the right call. VR is a market that is still wide open. 

But also looking at the Switch numbers it’s clear that if you want to do well in Japan, handheld is where it’s at. The market for VR maybe wide open as you say, but at a cost of, basically a grand, it’s also out of most peoples reach. 

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

There definitely isn't going to be backwards compatibility, but patches? Hmmm... the tracking is so different (effectively it's completely the opposite to before - inside out rather than outside in - and with totally new controllers!) and the headset is pretty different too.

I'd say that it's likely we'll be resold new versions of some old games, as the port work to make them compatible will be fairly substantial and there will need to be graphical enhancements to prevent games looking too old for the much better visuals possible with PSVR2. That being said, we'll get generous devs like Hello Games who will give us a free VR upgrade for No Man's Sky, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hitman 3 gets a free upgrade too. The big one for me is Resi 7... that would seem like a no-brainer given that the base game already has a next gen patch, but would Capcom fund the development of a free VR upgrade or want us to pay? Or just simply not do it? But given that Resi 8 is getting a VR version, I'd love an enhanced version of 7. Has it been confirmed yet whether 8's VR will be included if you already have the game, or is it a whole new product?

Sony's own games are an interesting one. It would be brilliant to get a new version of Wipeout Omega Collection, for example, and the Dreams VR mode would be a country mile better with PSVR2 so I'm sure that'll happen at some point. Meanwhile, will there be a port of the original Astrobot to go alongside the obviously-happening-because-it-must sequel? I'd say that depends on how far the sequel is along - if it's a launch game, maybe no port. If it's a bit further out, though, then a new version of the original to whet our appetites would be a smart move. Free for existing owners, though? Hmmm... my guess is 'no', but we'll see. Sony must see the opportunity for some quick and dirty next gen upgrades that can effectively be sold as new games, particularly if they see PSVR2 as being a bigger success.

It could be like how the Switch has loads of Wii U ports and many of these have sold more than they did on the older console. Is it better to be generous in giving free upgrades for old games to build goodwill, or is it more savvy business-wise to present them as new when you potentially have a lot of all-new VR customers piling in? Sony will have a direction on this, and I expect it'll be obvious pretty early on which way they're going.

Fair points well made - I guess its games like Beat Saber, Superhot, Tetris effect, Rez etc etc that are on other systems that I own on PSVR - I’m sure they will get PSVR2 versions but will we be paying again (I have for all of them on Quest 2….) but more so for the first party stuff like Astrobot and Wipeout. I guess as a sucker I would happily pay some ‘upgrade fee’ of £10 but if we are talking Last of Us remake 17 £70 touch then the headset is not for me….

On 24/08/2022 at 14:14, b00dles said:

Yeah what with their recent ports, more support for resolutions favoured by monitors and the suggestion of some sort of PC launcher (with any luck this isn't going to happen) I would be very surprised if psvr2 didn't come out on pc. Outside of all of those other 'moves' into pc, it would also just make sense in regards to bigger market and the fact VR has done well on pc in general. 

i pray to the VR gods that this comes true.  Money left on the table and all that.  

Nobody really thought it would be BC, did they? All I've seen for pages is assumptions that the tracking tech is too different.

What I think you do need to do if you're making that statement is provide some clarity if anything is going to be ported, or if you're making efforts to make games more easily portable. Like, people will still be playing Beat Saber or whatever. Are we supposed to throw all that in the bin? I'm certainly not keeping hold of two gens of VR hat.

I'd expect most notable PSVR games to get ported to the new hardware. The real question is how many of those will have a free upgrade; guessing it'll vary from publisher to publisher.

As an example, Déraciné was part of the Nvidia leak which has proven to be a roadmap for PC releases since. That makes a lot more sense if From are also going back to the game to rework it for PSVR2.

10 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I'd expect most notable PSVR games to get ported to the new hardware. The real question is how many of those will have a free upgrade; guessing it'll vary from publisher to publisher.

That’s the crux of why they’ve biffed it (yet again) isn’t it. Fair enough if the tech is too different and fair enough if you want to leave it to the publisher to decide if any compatibility upgrade is free or not. But they have enough of their own software to at least lead by example and say “all Sony published games will have the free upgrade” or even just a list of some of the biggest ones to start off with. Some kind of plan or intention to show you at least acknowledge the shit situation. 

It just baffles me how bad current management are at this stuff. 

Very dissapointing move to be honest. As layten says, it's hard to believe this was an insurmountable challenge for Sony, they've actively chosen to go another way.

The hope now is that they have prepared an SDK which will specifically help developers quickly and easily convert their games to be PSVR2 compatible, under the belief that the bulk of the games most people actually care about will receive an all round better conversion that way.

If this isn't the case and the upgrades aren't free (or super, super cheap) then it's certainly poured cold water over my enthusiasm for the device which is a shame as I've had about as much fun with PSVR as the PS4 itself.

48 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Well, that's a decision.

My interest has now considerably cooled as I can't use my existing library of titles.

Ugh, Sony. What the hell are you playing at!?

Sony being Sony they will not be able to resist ‘remastering’ those V1 PSVR games so that they can run on the new hardware and want to charge us £69.99 for the privilege.

So this looks terrific. Seems like a Sony putting their weight behind high end, top-tier VR experiences after the sector was (led by Meta and their Quest) drifting towards more casual games.

Seeing games running using foveated rendering, guided by the eye tracking, is very exciting to me. This probably explains why some of the games demoed were able to use the same high quality assets as existing titles / game modes from the same studios, without needing to be retooled for the greater resolution / frame rate requirements of VR. By spending less GPU resources rendering in areas where the player isn't looking, this will give developers a fair bit of extra headroom to play with. Might even make games run better than on a TV or monitor!

A lot of chat in this thread about compatibility with PC, but one particular area of that excites me particularly... compatibility with handheld PCs! Sony have to make the economics from their POV work (not losing money on each headset sold with no way of making it back) and we also have to hope they're not doing anything too proprietary with the connectivity (I imagine it's using a DisplayPort USB-C alt mode, but 4K at 120Hz is higher than that typically supports so they might be doing something custom) but imagine how great that would be. A lot of people can't have the luxury of creating a dedicated VR space, but with an inside-out tracking heaset connected to a handheld PC, all you'd need to do is reverse your car out of the garage, or go out into your garden / balcony (although I believe sunlight can cause issues with the tracking with most headsets, or even cause permanent damage).

Valve themselves say that the Steam Deck is not suitable for VR. But that could change considering the way foveated rendering can reduce the demand on the GPU. Plus, the Deck won't be the most powerful handheld on the market for much longer. Battery life would be a concern, considering most handhelds can't game for very long as it is, and they'd be powering the headset too. Maybe an issue that can be solved with power banks... although the Deck only has one USB-C port (really needs one on the bottom as well as the top).

On 24/08/2022 at 14:14, b00dles said:

and the suggestion of some sort of PC launcher (with any luck this isn't going to happen)

It'll be difficult for Sony to offer features like e.g. cloud saves, or social features, without a launcher though. I hope they don't build their own storefront though...

It is a shitty way to go about it. Even if the tracking tech is too different (debatable) they could still let you run the old games if you kept the camera, Moves etc.

It's hard to know, because modern Sony seems incapable of doing comms good, even when the story is good (see: BC from PS4 to PS5, which is basically fine but had ages of uncertainty, and is quite undermined by the needless gouging for next-gen upgrades.) Like, it may be that a lot of titles get ported at no or little cost. But the obvious conclusion at this point is that they won't, and it does dampen any enthusiasm I might have.

This is just confirmation of what everyone expected and had been saying for months.

Funnily enough it’s more likely to sell me on an original PSVR than a PSVR2. Mine is a 1st gen one from 2017 that is totally worn out and needs replacing, and I know that it already plays the games I want to keep playing whereas the PSVR2 won’t, and is an unknown quantity (I will buy one if they are available to buy).

That does raise the question, are they going to have both models on the shelves? are they going to discontinue the PSVR despite it having lots of software currently on the store that is playable on PS5?

My interest is dead now. Significantly diminishes my overall interest in PS5 as well. I was a day-one PSVR1 adopter and I loved using it.

Fringe benefits: PSVR1 will possibly increase in value second-hand, I won't have to put off playing Village until this comes out and I'm more likely to wait for revised PS5 hardware than giving in early.

• Pob changed the title to PSVR2 - 22 Feb 2023, £530