It Takes Two

Ry

I tried A Way Out with my brother a couple of times and was a refresher course in why we hate each other. 

As great as it looks i don't think i can handle another game where we have to rely on each other. 

The trailer gives me a Double Fine vibe, will maybe give it a look when its on Gamepass EA.

Yeah me and my mate played way out, was pretty good but was still a bit light and almost like a Co op tell tale game in some bits. Not that that would be a bad thing either, this does look a bit more action-y.

I wonder if it will just be quite simple things broken into two parts rather than it just being one thing... looks interesting. 

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

This looks brilliant.  I'd never heard of it until I read this thread!!

I'm assuming it's not going to be on Game Pass via EA Play for a good while though?

Usually about a year. There's a chance there will be some sort of limited time trial though, EA do that quite often. 

It reminds me a lot of mascot platformers from around the turn of the millennium where they'd try to cram 40 different genres in one game. Something like Conker's Bad Fur Day. 

I like the look of it a lot but it's just a question of whether they can make all those billion different mechanics and gameplay styles feel equally polished and fun.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Moz said:

Am I completely bonkers, or does this look brilliant?

It looks amazing. I watched a let's play for the first 30 mins and the two guys were loving it. 

Will never play it though. Wish they had a matchmaking option. 

• 2 weeks later...

Up to 90 on meta critic now. Few 10s as well. 

I knew it looked good but it sounds like something really special and a GOTY candidate 

I would buy it right now if I had someone to play with. :(

2 hours ago, Nosejam said:

ShopTo have this for £17.85 (digital)

I’d usually go physical and resell after but that seems a good price 

For Xbox yes. This is a great deal, no one has an excuse.

Chris Plante and Russ Frushtick of Polygon are somewhat unconvinced, primarily criticising the game for having jarring, facile writing underpinning the whole thing. They describe enjoyable if simplistic coop minigames and gorgeous presentation marred by narrative framing and poor pacing. Which I can't pretend to be particularly surprised by given the director's previous work on the insipid (and insidiously misogynistic) Brothers: A Tale of Two Souls, and the cretinous A Way Out.

Hopefully one day Hazelight Studios will find a director/writer/editor that lives up to their prodigious talents in aesthetic design and playful mechanics.

From the link above:

Spoiler

At one point, Cody and May decide that the only way to reverse the spell that’s been cast upon them is to get their daughter to cry on them. (To be fair, this is almost entirely Cody’s idea.) To pull this off, the couple conclude that they need to kill their daughter’s favorite toy, a stuffed elephant named Cutie.

Like the dolls that Cody and May now inhabit, Cutie has been brought to life by the spell, and upon learning of the assassination plot, the elephant begs for her life. “Where are you taking me? Please stop!” she screams, as the couple drags her to an untimely death at a nearby cliff. While being dragged, one of Cutie’s ears gets caught on a nearby seam ripper, and it’s torn off with a tug from Cody and May. “You don’t have to do this! I love Rose!” Cutie cries, just before she’s kicked to her death.

er what the fuck

Giantbomb have a Quick Look of this and Alex Navarro ( a child of divorce himself) absolutely hates it.

I managed about 15 minutes of watching. First there was the "love is hard work" comment when the kid is reading from some relationship advice book. Then the book came to life and started speaking in an embarrassing Mexican accent or something. I hate it all. The game should end with the kid realising that sometimes things just don't work out and if people aren't happy together they should just go their separate ways, but I fear it's going in the opposite direction of them finding they still love each other or some such shmaltzy shit.

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

Chris Plante and Russ Frushtick of Polygon are somewhat unconvinced, primarily criticising the game for having jarring, facile writing underpinning the whole thing. They describe enjoyable if simplistic coop minigames and gorgeous presentation marred by narrative framing and poor pacing. Which I can't pretend to be particularly surprised by given the director's previous work on the insipid (and insidiously misogynistic) Brothers: A Tale of Two Souls, and the cretinous A Way Out.

I always make sure to check Polygon don’t like something before dropping any cash. Along with an Edge 6 and an IGN 8. 

5 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

From the link above:

Hide contents

At one point, Cody and May decide that the only way to reverse the spell that’s been cast upon them is to get their daughter to cry on them. (To be fair, this is almost entirely Cody’s idea.) To pull this off, the couple conclude that they need to kill their daughter’s favorite toy, a stuffed elephant named Cutie.

Like the dolls that Cody and May now inhabit, Cutie has been brought to life by the spell, and upon learning of the assassination plot, the elephant begs for her life. “Where are you taking me? Please stop!” she screams, as the couple drags her to an untimely death at a nearby cliff. While being dragged, one of Cutie’s ears gets caught on a nearby seam ripper, and it’s torn off with a tug from Cody and May. “You don’t have to do this! I love Rose!” Cutie cries, just before she’s kicked to her death.

er what the fuck

This sounds amazing.