It Takes Two

Ry

On 17/06/2021 at 15:05, Majora said:

The 'best co-op game since Portal 2' plaudits weren't exaggerating. I actually feel a bit mean I only paid £20 for it, it doesn't feel like a budget game at all.

Paid 35 and it still feels like a ridiculous bargain. It's incredible how much content they've added to the game and the depth and level of variety they've put into it.

I've been playing it with my 7yr old daughter and we've had such a good time with it. There's only been one moment we both hated and honestly, it took a lot of convincing to get her to play it again:

Spoiler

CUTIE.... but you all guessed that, haha.

I get the dark absurdist humour it was going for and the importance the scene had in establishing the parents as woefully misguided, but my daughter absolutely hated it, was in tears and even now she's lost all empathy with the characters and calls them, "stupid" whenever the story bits kick in.

I guess the developers will probably feel, "mission accomplished" in terms of narrative, but she absolutely refused to touch the game for weeks after that bit.

The ice skating made up for it though. :)

• 1 month later...

Been playing this with my 15 year old son and it's really really good. The protagonists though, they're the worst people in the world. Are spoilers need for this, I dunno. Anyway I'm not at the end yet but..

Spoiler

We sucked out the hoovers eyes!

Spoiler

Then we made buddies with a beetle dude who just wanted nectar and sent him hurtling to his doom.

Spoiler

Then we ripped the ear and leg off our daughters favourite teddy as it pleaded for it's life.

I mean those are just a couple bits too. The games literally full of them. I'm rooting so hard for everyone else, somehow has to stop us. We're monsters.

My son usually goes full dark side/sith lord/max renegade in any game he plays and even he's appalled at us.

• 1 month later...

Holy shit this is incredible. Been playing it with my wife this evening and we were in hysterics. Only completed two stages so far and it’s already full of ideas and lovely little moments. The story is absolute guff, mind you, so we’ve been skipping that at every opportunity. Don’t feel like we’ve missed out on anything though.

Finished this yesterday with my mate and it's really good fun to play and changes ideas nice and quickly but yeesh that narrative surrounding it is just quite weird. 

It should have just been a toy story type dolls come alive and need to collect things for the kid, or just two banjo kazooie type characters.

Or they need to really work on the characters being likeable and it making some sort of sense as to the parents coming together again. I could really waffle on how many of the individual chapters are daft, or even in ways they could have made it work but essentially it's just misguided.

We didn't skip any cutscenes as it was amusing to find out what utter nonsense was going to keep occurring. 

The bit with the elephant was darker than any resident evil game or whatever and it didn't even 'work' for the story in any meaningful way. I got what they were going for but it didn't actually relate the change in characters properly.

It's strange but the actual gameplay and co-op stuff was loads of fun. Loads. 

6 hours ago, b00dles said:

The bit with the elephant was darker than any resident evil game or whatever and it didn't even 'work' for the story in any meaningful way. I got what they were going for but it didn't actually relate the change in characters properly.

The elephant bit for me is the best gaming moment of the year for me. I know what you're saying though, it feels a bit out of character with everything else that was going on. I remember wishing the entire game was like that, I thought that's where it was going at the time, where you have this sentimental toy-story setup but it's rooted in depressing reality. At the same time, it could be argued that with the game never revisiting that dark tone  makes it all the more funny looking back at it? I'm giggling just thinking about it, I loved it.

12 minutes ago, Capwn said:

The elephant bit for me is the best gaming moment of the year for me. I know what you're saying though, it feels a bit out of character with everything else that was going on. I remember wishing the entire game was like that, I thought that's where it was going at the time, where you have this sentimental toy-story setup but it's rooted in depressing reality. At the same time, it could be argued that with the game never revisiting that dark tone  makes it all the more funny looking back at it? I'm giggling just thinking about it, I loved it.

Yeah, it was great and also hilarious, we tried to not do it for a while as it was clearly a stupid idea. 

The thing that is odd though, it was just the idiot husband that came up with the idea, there should have at least been a bit more about their own naivety regarding their daughter or something. As soon as the idea came up, we were both like "surely the opposite would be make her laugh, rather than cry more" and that wasn't even how it was all resolved and then the elephant is magically OK at the end anyway. 

You're right though, that a much more openly twisted toy story would have been better, as it is they just keep being dicks to pretty much all of the animals and to each other (until an odd point where we thought we missed a whole bit because they start saying thanks and well done to each other with no real in-between or growth).

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter got this for her 11th birthday last week so we started it last night.

Incredibly impressed - not just with the game but by the logic my daughter showed, solving some of the puzzles way before I did!

We've only just got past the 2nd boss - really looking forward to playing more because this is a very special co-op title.