Playstation State of Play - @Ry You missed it!

I still have no idea what Deathloop is supposed to be. 

Is it a roguelite? Because there’s a worrying trend of games being roguelites while somehow panicking at the idea of calling themselves that.

Everything looked ok but nothing to be really hyped about. Kuna is probably the one that has the most wow factor for me (even if the gameplay looks like it could be generic) and it looks f'ing stunning! Death Loop has a very well presented trailer, its a work of art in itself, but still not sold on the gameplay until we see more what it actually is. Do you literally replay the same levels over and over like Hotline Miami? It looks like it has that 'looseness' in combat that Dishonored has but visually I'm sold.

Dissapointed in Returnal, I knew it would be quite combat focussed but it just doesn't look my cup of tea, plus effects everywhere looks pretty but doesn't look very tight gameplay wise. It sounds more like a roguelike than an action/story/adventure, and I was hoping for the latter. And the revisiting old memories in a spooky dream world (my old house - never seen that before!) - such a cliche.

The sad fact is that I found the Yuffie FFVII new episode the most exciting thing and that's just a little expansion. Plus it sounds like even that is PS5 only which sucks!

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Went back and watched the Returnal bit, as I missed it. Still can’t believe they think it’s worth £70. 

Why not? I mean, you can think Sony prices their games too high in general but I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up as their best game this year and one your probably gonna get more hours of quality gameplay out of than most of their cinematic blockbusters.

I do wonder whether we truly are in a time where new releases got nuked by Covid, or whether everyone still is failing to accept that game hype cycles have shortened. We didn’t know that Demons Souls Remake, Astrobot or Miles Morales existed until June last year and they all launched in November. 

It is strange what’s going on with Naughty Dog though, it seems baffling that there’s no Last of Us 2 PS5 update given that Ghost, God of War and Days Gone had such prompt upgrades. The Factions multiplayer is AWOL as well.

4 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Not totally related, but recent announcements on Twitter reveal that a couple of FFVII mobile games are in the works...

So Ever Crisis is the game/remake everybody actually wanted. “But...”

5 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I still have no idea what Deathloop is supposed to be. 

I think it's more like a shooting version of The Outer Wilds and Hitman and whatever that Arkane Thief-ish game is called (although I haven't played OW, so this comparison might not hold.)

There's a world with a set of named NPCs, some with abilities, that you need to assassinate. When you die, you go back to the start and try again. But you work your way through the loop multiple times to understand the clockwork of the level and reduce the difficulty of the task (for example, to get two or three of them in the same place, or lure one out of their heavily-guarded fortress.) And there's an enemy NPC with abilities and intelligence hunting you to stop you, and sometimes it will be being played by another human invading your game.

1 minute ago, Flanders said:

I do wonder whether we truly are in a time where new releases got nuked by Covid, or whether everyone still is failing to accept that game hype cycles have shortened. We didn’t know that Demons Souls Remake, Astrobot or Miles Morales existed until June last year and they all launched in November. 

It is strange what’s going on with Naughty Dog though, it seems baffling that there’s no Last of Us 2 PS5 update given that Ghost, God of War and Days Gone had such prompt upgrades. The Factions multiplayer is AWOL as well.

They're probably gonna release a PS5 version with Factions included. Not a patch but a full remaster, like they did with the first. Just a hunch.

4 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I can only imagine they are working on one big package like FFVII Remake have done, where they'll bundle multiplayer and the PS5 update in one. Maybe even some new single player content? They may have had enough time to actually do a short single player DLC since release.

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

I can only imagine they are working on one big package like FFVII Remake have done, where they'll bundle multiplayer and the PS5 update in one. Maybe even some new single player content? They may have had enough time to actually do a short single player DLC since release.

I believe Druckmann already said they're not gonna do a Left Behind style expansion.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think it's more like a shooting version of The Outer Wilds and Hitman and whatever that Arkane Thief-ish game is called (although I haven't played OW, so this comparison might not hold.)

There's a world with a set of named NPCs, some with abilities, that you need to assassinate. When you die, you go back to the start and try again. But you work your way through the loop multiple times to understand the clockwork of the level and reduce the difficulty of the task (for example, to get two or three of them in the same place, or lure one out of their heavily-guarded fortress.) And there's an enemy NPC with abilities and intelligence hunting you to stop you, and sometimes it will be being played by another human invading your game.

Hmm, that sounds like Hitman with extra steps. 

A take away that I feel I have from this and the recent Nintendo direct, is that the big publisher pushed hyped games are avoiding these “directs” for their own game focused marketing pushes. 
This seem to be more and more the realm of “AA” or “B-tier” marketing opportunity where games that would normally get drowned out have a chance in the light for a moment. 

Good to see too, as games like Solar Ash & Returnal are getting some focus. 

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Hmm, that sounds like Hitman with extra steps. 

Hitman with extra steps and some powers and you have to assassinate every named character in one perfect run eventually. And only one level, so you can presumably assume it's not straightforwards and that the level is big.

Maybe some of the big NPCs stay dead permanently, I don't know. Or a shortcut stays perma-open once triggered, Souls-style. Again, I don't know. (I don't think so on either of those.)

All we've seen is stylish montage trailers, so it's hard to decipher.

12 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

They're probably gonna release a PS5 version with Factions included. Not a patch but a full remaster, like they did with the first. Just a hunch.

If it’s a case of one or the other, I sort of hope it’s as you suspect; as far as first party software goes, I do prefer Microsoft’s more comprehensive approach to existing titles over Sony’s occasional frame rate unlock patch for backwards compatibility mode, so it would be a shame if that was the sum total of such a game’s update. The Last of Us 2 deserves the full works, even if it’s 2022 and a completely separate release.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Impressive how much stuff is crossgen. Why feel bad about not being able to buy a PS5?

It’s a far better console in the hardware department. Just overall it’s an upgrade. It’s got issues don’t get me wrong , a whole bunch of them but if you can get one. Dont wait

3 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

If it’s a case of one or the other, I sort of hope it’s as you suspect; as far as first party software goes, I do prefer Microsoft’s more comprehensive approach to existing titles over Sony’s occasional frame rate unlock patch for backwards compatibility mode, so it would be a shame if that was the sum total of such a game’s update. The Last of Us 2 deserves the full works, even if it’s 2022 and a completely separate release.

No the last of us part 2 patch needs to come out ASAP. They don’t need to touch a single thing other than frame rate. GO!

2 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

It’s a far better console in the hardware department. Just overall it’s an upgrade. It’s got issues don’t get me wrong , a whole bunch of them but if you can get one. Dont wait

Oh yeah, it's so much better than the PS4 in every way - agreed. Really glad I managed to get a PS5 on day one, don't regret it one bit don't get me wrong.