Your controllers will fail....

13 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I don't know what everyone else here is like in regards to their tech but there's still a lot of people (I know some personally) that still rage quit/ throw controllers about the room when they lose.

Also one friend of mine has the most ridiculous sweaty hands while playing some games (and isn't otherwise some sort of sweat monster) which don't seem to do his controllers any favours. 

So I imagine there's a wide range of how people actually use their controllers, as well as any corner cutting the manufacturers might do. 

I do think that all controllers are stupidly expensive though and I still find buying a 2nd one so I can play some games 2p is a bit of a piss take. What happened to two in the box!?

The only time in recent memory I hooned a controller across the room was a particularly bad brain day when I had some bullshit on CoD and the Sea of Thieves pad went flying and it bounced or a chair leg so I had to break out the super glue. This was post stick drift fix as well. I was so mad at myself for acting like a child.

I have stick drift from the first couple of weeks with one controller so I don’t use that now.

The good controller has funny feeling touchpad button action and I’ve notice when first starting something like apex the cursor is moving on the screen until I touch the stick and it stops.

I can’t believe how much is In These controllers and they only want to charge 60 quid?

Surely better materials and a slightly higher price would be better overall.

You all think it’s too expensive. I think they are too cheap and made cheaply.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Apparently all sticks in the controllers are made by ALPS who rate the operational life at 400 hours.

The Joycon sticks must be made of filo pastry, then. 

I recently had to take my Dual Shock 3 apart to reinforce the padding where the ribbon for inputs sits on the motherboard.

I also had to use the foam fix for my left JoyCon when I had a full-day Switch.

Apart from that my 360, Xbox One, PS4 and PS5 pads have been fine.

It's weird that some get drift and some don't.

The only console pad I can remember breaking on me was a PS3 dualshock, which seemed to somehow brick itself. One day it just stopped working, despite looking and feeling fine. The only console pad I've broken was, rather surprisingly, an Xbox Duke which I flung across the room after a string of spectacularly poor shots in Links whilst very drunk. The Duke hit the only thing in the room tougher than it - my dumbbells - and smashed.

Thinking back though, I dread to think how many joysticks I got through on my Commodore 64. I had any number of Quickshots, Competition Pros, Konix Speedkings, others I can't remember, and cheap knock-offs of most of them too. And I was repairing them as best I could too - I was possibly keeping the local electrical shop alive due to all the microswitches I was buying.

Most controllers these days develops drift for me. It's a hell of an annoyance. Switch Pro controller hasn't yet, but that's due to lack of use. My 360 pads did it (4), my PS4 pads did it (3) and now it seems my PS5 pads will do it.

Maybe I should check out the Series X pads.

Pads seem to be a lot more durable than joysticks were in the eighties and nineties - probably a combination of better build quality, fewer games that use left/right waggling as their core mechanic, and the way you can apply much more leverage to a joystick than a pad.

I think the only joystick I had that didn’t have the microswitches go after a few months was the turquoise & pink Cruiser. That thing felt like it was built to last. 

I've had two 360 controllers shit the bed and two Xbox One Elite controllers. The latter costing more like £100 and lasting less than a year both died in the same way.

I've never had any other controllers die.

The last controller I had fail on me was about 40 years ago, an Atari 2600 one like this

s-l400.jpg

Maybe I've just been lucky, but every other one through OG PlayStation, Dreamcast, various Xbox and Nintendo machines has lasted as long as I've had the console. Including both Microsoft Elites, s lightgun and a HOTAS for Elite.

Worst that has befell me is the rubber grip coming loose on my original Elite (which I'm gonna fix and sell on if anyone is interested in one?)

2 minutes ago, K said:

Pads seem to be a lot more durable than joysticks were in the eighties and nineties - probably a combination of better build quality, fewer games that use left/right waggling as their core mechanic, and the way you can apply much more leverage to a joystick than a pad.

I think the only joystick I had that didn’t have the microswitches go after a few months was the turquoise & pink Cruiser. That thing felt like it was built to last. 

This one presumably:

joy5b.jpg

The one I had still works as far as I know.

I've had four Dual Shock 4's since getting my PS4 in 2016. Prior to that the only time I'd ever had to replace a controller for any console was when the dog chewed through the cable of a Dual Shock 2, I still have all my original controllers from every console I've ever owned bar the ones mentioned above. That the PS5 controller apparently has a short shelf life really doesn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The only controller I've ever experienced to completely fail and become unusable is the Xbox 360 pad. 

I've gone through at least 6 of them, and that's not with absolutely insane hours on them. 

I still have the same two PS3 controllers and same two PS4 controller and they're completely fine. 

Conversely, I've had multiple dual shock 4's fuck up on me. Mostly the sticks literally disintegrating, but a trigger broke as well.

The only pad I've experienced stick drift on so far is with a Wii U Pro Controller - touch wood, everything else has lasted so far, although I've noticed a few creaks in the 8bitdo pro pad. And, well, I tried a battery replacement on one of my PS4 pads and it's likely a time bomb to explode, in addition to fucking the L2/R2 springs.

But indeed, the reliance on Alps Potentiometers in everything is a problem. At the very least, these pads need to start being built with breakout boards in mind, so I can find some pcb-mounted replacement and just plug it in. Desoldering multiple joints on all sides is an absolute ballache without a dedicated station.

Sounds like rubbish to me. The only pad I’ve ever had issues with is the joy con, which is notorious and very wide-spread. Every other pad has made it to retirement, except maybe the N64, which also had legendary stick degradation issues, but would still be usable to an extent. The joy con stick drift is the only really serious one. 

1 hour ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Haven't launched a controller since the megadrive pad days. If you launched one of them at a wall, you took a chunk out of the wall. 

And because they were boomerang-shaped, they’d come back to you. 

If you actually go and look at the alps data sheet it doesn’t rate them in hours at all. Which you wouldn’t expect them to because the lifetime depends on the application they are being used in .

It rates them in operational cycles.

So someone somewhere has equated 20000000 cycles to 400 hours . 

I go through Dualshocks like no tomorrows, the sticks become loose and start giving duff inputs, it's mainly on games where I have to push forward a lot so basically most games, but it's due to me getting really tense when playing games, I went through more during my apex legends addiction and I can feel myself doing it now on sekiro during tense moments, it's annoying I wish they'd make the sticks more durable, I'm not even big or strong or anything.

8 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

So someone somewhere has equated 20000000 cycles to 400 hours . 

Yes. The root of this, I think, is a person at iFixit who recorded somehow the cycles over sessions of CoD: Warzone and did some maths from that. I am not sure it's as scientific as the proliferation of the number round the internet makes out. Who knows?

I have an old Xbox 360 wired controller than at this point I have used for literally thousands upon thousands of hours.

Do you lot keep sitting on them or something?

I've only ever had one controller stop working. A black Xbox 360 controller i yeeted up the garden then stamped on because of Modern Warfare 2 rage (to be young and stupid....now i'm just stupid)  I usually tire of them and trade them in when I get a new colour or something.

Actually my launch PS4 sticks flaked away to nothing, complained to Amazon who gave me £100 and then I sent them off to Sony who replaced them for free. That was a good week 

No one knows controller pain until you experience trying to calibrate this thing.

E68A02D1-E4F2-42FD-900C-E3D521129C43.jpeg.19aa9cf23f88793a516b8c0258f11a84.jpeg

My mate at work also has stick drift.

I should really get on to Sony about

mine. Do they just do a delivery swap? 

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've had the same Xbox One pad since I bought the xbox one. 

I do also have 4 broken xbox one pads my mate has had fail on him which I'm looking to fix up - on each one the problem is with the stick drifting or getting stuck in one direction.

It's theoretically a quick and inexpensive job to replace a stick but it's a fiddly bit of de-soldering to handle.

I'd make sure you go into this with your eyes open, and are very confident with a soldering iron. I'd say unless you have a decent de-soldering station it's anything but a quick job. IME it's more like an hour+ per stick, by the time you've teased the existing solder out, with 14 contact points to address.

In case you've not opened one up yet, this is what the joints look like that you need to re-do:

Spoiler

794779051_Screenshot2021-02-24145508.thumb.png.0adbc8dd1e42a332e853b5ab711e2032.png

In addition the newer bluetooth-enabled controllers use lead-free solder so you need a higher temperature and some flux applied to get the solder to reflow.

I've replaced 6-7 of these over the last few years and am instead now searching for a reliable supplier to source the whole board from that the analogue sticks are attached to, as it's a *much* simpler job to replace that!

It seems like the exact same analogue modules are used in all of these controllers (X360/XB1/PS4), frustrating that they can't make them a little more robust, or at least implement a system-wide deadzone tweak, which I'm sure would solve the drift issue.

5 minutes ago, christaylor said:

I'd make sure you go into this with your eyes open, and are very confident with a soldering iron. I'd say unless you have a decent de-soldering station it's anything but a quick job. IME it's more like an hour+ per stick, by the time you've teased the existing solder out, with 14 contact points to address.

In case you've not opened one up yet, this is what the joints look like that you need to re-do:

Hide contents

794779051_Screenshot2021-02-24145508.thumb.png.0adbc8dd1e42a332e853b5ab711e2032.png

In addition the newer bluetooth-enabled controllers use lead-free solder so you need a higher temperature and some flux applied to get the solder to reflow.

I've replaced 6-7 of these over the last few years and am instead now searching for a reliable supplier to source the whole board from that the analogue sticks are attached to, as it's a *much* simpler job to replace that!

It seems like the exact same analogue modules are used in all of these controllers (X360/XB1/PS4), frustrating that they can't make them a little more robust, or at least implement a system-wide deadzone tweak, which I'm sure would solve the drift issue.

Thanks, that's really helpful. If you manage to find a supplier for the board I'd be keen to get a few.