Jump to content

I’m watching this amazing film called Bringing out the Dead


Recommended Posts

Seriously, I am going through a phase of Nicholas Cage movies I’ve never seen bursting out of the woodwork. Which has coincided with needing to watch Nicolas Cage movies.
 

And I’d never heard of this one before and when I saw John Goodman was in it and it had the word dead in it, just wacked it on, thinking it was going to be a pretty limp scripted typical Nicholas Cage movie. But it’s so not! 
 

He’s playing that part where you are pretty sure you’re seeing the actor just be a believable version of themselves. And I’m getting big Lebowski vibes off of it. Some great “dream sequences” or whatever they are. To good music.
And I just love how fractured it is, but still held together by this unpredictable but simple story of waiting to hear on a relative in hospital. 
 

Has anyone else seen it? I don’t even know what year it is. Can’t tell, cos Cage has been perpetually 46 for about 25 years.

Recommend it. It’s on Star on Disney+. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I put this on my watch list yesterday, as I haven’t seen it since it’s cinema release. It’s one of the Scorsese films that rarely seems to get mentioned, but from what I remember it’s really good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, multi said:

Ooh, what service you watching Joker on @cassidy I've been meaning to catch up with it?

 

Think I've seen the Nicholas Cage film, is he an ambulance driver?

Oh I bought the disc for £14 sorry but I think it's 4k on apple TV. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I re-watched this about a year ago, after not seeing it since it first came out. I always filed it under Minor Scorsese, but still good of course, because Minor Scorsese is most people's Major. Anyway, I really dug it the second time, and the powerful themes felt much more apparent to me. 20 years of ageing, maybe. Most of all I loved the insane little world the characters inhabit, with its own rules outside of everyday life. Nobody better for the part than Cage, back when he was still balancing great character work with scenery-chewing. When I noticed it had popped up on D+ I already made a mental note to put it down again soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Seriously, I am going through a phase of Nicholas Cage movies I’ve never seen bursting out of the woodwork. Which has coincided with needing to watch Nicolas Cage movies.
 

And I’d never heard of this one before and when I saw John Goodman was in it and it had the word dead in it, just wacked it on, thinking it was going to be a pretty limp scripted typical Nicholas Cage movie. But it’s so not! 
 

He’s playing that part where you are pretty sure you’re seeing the actor just be a believable version of themselves. And I’m getting big Lebowski vibes off of it. Some great “dream sequences” or whatever they are. To good music.
And I just love how fractured it is, but still held together by this unpredictable but simple story of waiting to hear on a relative in hospital. 
 

Has anyone else seen it? I don’t even know what year it is. Can’t tell, cos Cage has been perpetually 46 for about 25 years.

Recommend it. It’s on Star on Disney+. 

I saw it at the cinema when it first came out and lived it.   Not seen it since but my son knows he's in trouble when I say "Don't make me take off my sunglasses."

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I saw it at the cinema when it first came out and lived it.   Not seen it since but my son knows he's in trouble when I say "Don't make me take off my sunglasses."

 

Same here.  Loved it when I saw it at the cinema.  It was raved about a little bit at the time, but never really gets talked about much compared to other scorsese films.  Not seen it on tv or any streaming service since, so never watched it again.  Would be well up for watching it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bazjam said:

It’s good, but it’s no Wild At Heart.


As I said, I won’t hear different.

 

Much as I love Wild at Heart, Cage’s isn’t even the second best performance in it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ZOK said:

The best Nicholas Cage flick is Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, and I won’t hear different.


It’s literally Face Off. But you only get to know that when you realise you don’t think “oh, it’s so clever how an actor can pretend to be two different people”. The film is able to force you to think that Travolta’s character’s past and pain and personality are coming out of Cage’s mouth. It’s nuts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this at the cinema one early afternoon in Swindon in the late 1990s. One of those that alters your mood to a downbeat almost zombie like one. Looks quite dated now when I last saw it. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Festoon said:

 

Like watching a band immediately followed by a local cover band.

I agree to a point, clearly Scorsese is a massive influence on Joker, just watch that as the support band to Taxi Driver. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NexivRed said:


It’s literally Face Off. But you only get to know that when you realise you don’t think “oh, it’s so clever how an actor can pretend to be two different people”. The film is able to force you to think that Travolta’s character’s past and pain and personality are coming out of Cage’s mouth. It’s nuts. 


Apparently they’re doing a reboot with different actors which I have no interest in.

 

What I would be up for is an entire film with Cage playing Castor Troy as the villain. Travolta is magnificently evil after the switch but Cage in that first ten minutes is irresistible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen Bringing Out The Dead once, and I was utterly immersed in it from the off. I don't remember anything at all about it other than his manic face behind the wheel. I don't ever want to watch it again, for fear my fever dream memory of it doesn't withstand a second scrutiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2021 at 13:11, NexivRed said:


It’s literally Face Off. But you only get to know that when you realise you don’t think “oh, it’s so clever how an actor can pretend to be two different people”. The film is able to force you to think that Travolta’s character’s past and pain and personality are coming out of Cage’s mouth. It’s nuts. 

 

This is the right answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2021 at 00:00, Uncle Mike said:

I've only seen Bringing Out The Dead once, and I was utterly immersed in it from the off. I don't remember anything at all about it other than his manic face behind the wheel. I don't ever want to watch it again, for fear my fever dream memory of it doesn't withstand a second scrutiny.

Keep it as a memory for a lifetime. Rekall Rekaall Rekaaaaalll. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.