Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

4 hours ago, NexivRed said:

As long as I wasn’t going mad then lol. Seemed a big coincidence, especially because it’s not even a new game. 

And guess who is being introduced in the next Ant-Man film so you're definitely onto something.

I mean it's a theory but:

Spoiler

It don't really see how it fits with her being the 'beat-cop' who brings in Slyvie when she's a child in the opening flashback. The TVA clearly pre-dates her.

26 minutes ago, SonOfSoAngry said:

I mean it's a theory but:

Hide contents

It don't really see how it fits with her being the 'beat-cop' who brings in Slyvie when she's a child in the opening flashback. The TVA clearly pre-dates her.

I think she's worked her way up and either

Spoiler

doesn't know about the Time Keepers being fake or she somehow outsted them and is keeping the pretence up to control the TVA. I'm leading more ot the latter. I think she may have scheemed and plotted her way into a position of power.

Episode 4 was pretty good too. I think this series is highlighting that even with slightly rough scripts at times, as long as you have a decent cast throwing themselves into it, you can paper over some of the cracks. Like Wanda it has a sort of swagger to it that I also quite like. I'm not sure it cares too much if it slows down, speeds up, goes off on a tangent or suddenly does a massive exposition dump. The goodwill from the films does give them space to experiment and I think it's all the more interesting for it. 

Like Wanda I also like that they very strongly seem to select a set of themes (mostly emotional, but also colour, setting and tempo) and then commit to them really hard as a driving force behind an episode or even across the entire series. Narcissism, notion of what is good/bad, question of identity/purpose etc. It's a great way of writing something with a coherent arc, rather than the bottom up style that is quite prevalent in a lot of episodic American stuff. You can see the difference between the first season of The Good Place compared to later ones in terms of quality where they sacrificed a more top down approach and ended up thinking of funny moments or riffs and trying to plug it into an episode. 

So...

Spoiler

The burny stick thingy doesn't kill then, it sends them somewhere else (timeline?)?  Also, is that the first after credit sequence in the 4 episodes as I only saw it by accident.

Spoiler

I'm assuming pruning casts you off to some kind of post-apocalyptic limbo with other variants. Are we thinking the Thor guy at the end is actually a Loki with Mjolnir? I thought it was three Loki variants and a Thor variant. Maybe each type of variant ends up in its own timeline with their fellows.

This also allows them to pretty much instantly bring Mobius back, because nobody's going to be happy he got zapped.

Makes me wonder why

Spoiler

they were just displaced rather than killed.

Either the TVA isnt as all powerful as it'd like to appear, or they're deliberately keeping the other lokis around for some purpose.

48 minutes ago, Sabreman said:
  Hide contents

I'm assuming pruning casts you off to some kind of post-apocalyptic limbo with other variants. Are we thinking the Thor guy at the end is actually a Loki with Mjolnir? I thought it was three Loki variants and a Thor variant. Maybe each type of variant ends up in its own timeline with their fellows.

This also allows them to pretty much instantly bring Mobius back, because nobody's going to be happy he got zapped.

He was credditeed as 

Spoiler

Boastful Loki. But maybe this varient weilds that universes version Mjolnir rather than Thor.

I just had a thought about what Renslayer said

Spoiler

in the lift to Sylvie. When she said she doesn't remember, could it be because this version of Renslayer isn't the same one that arrested child Sylvie? She's a new variant.

8 minutes ago, Welrain said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It was to annoy / belittle Sylvie, I thought.  The grudge against her has been evident elsewhere in the episode.

See I did think that a first cause of the smirk. I'm probably just making stupid predictions again.

I'm really enjoying the series. The duff episode and all, but for a series about an all powerful time police, there is very little time travel up there on screen really when you think about it.

I think that is the main missing thing for me at the moment, because I really like the characters.

21 minutes ago, hub2 said:

I'm really enjoying the series. The duff episode and all, but for a series about an all powerful time police, there is very little time travel up there on screen really when you think about it.

I think that is the main missing thing for me at the moment, because I really like the characters.

That's probably for the best to be honest. Unless you've got wizard script writers, doing too much time travel shit that isn't completely watertight is just asking for internet forum armchair critics to get up in alms.

Spoiler

I kind of wish they’d not had that post credits scene, and left it hanging with a whole two characters left alive in the shell of the TVA building.

Just recoreded our spoiler special for the podcats and my co host thinks this is whats going down

Spoiler

The man behind the curtain, the one controlling the time keepers is a Loki - The show is called Loki, the protagonist is Loki, the love interest is Loki and the antagnist is Loki.

It's another MCU bait and switch, where they build up the Time Keepers to be the big bad, and whilst they are bad guys in the comics, here they're just used as decoys for the real baddie....Loki.

8 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Just recoreded our spoiler special for the podcats and my co host thinks this is whats going down

Reveal hidden contents

The man behind the curtain, the one controlling the time keepers is a Loki - The show is called Loki, the protagonist is Loki, the love interest is Loki and the antagnist is Loki.

It's another MCU bait and switch, where they build up the Time Keepers to be the big bad, and whilst they are bad guys in the comics, here they're just used as decoys for the really baddie....Loki.

Almost certainly.

I'm amazed this is getting an 8.9 on IMDB given it's the best Marvel has put out so far, but it's not that level of good.

Is it bad I like Flowers Loki more than Loki? She is just far more interesting on so many levels. 

I found this episode so predictable and nearly gave up when Kylo & Rey made it to Snoke's throne room, but I'm glad I stayed to the end for that scene and all the possibilities that brings with it. 

Is it just two episodes left?

One will be dealing with the cliffhanger, then one wrapping it all up? Is that a Marvel / Disney thing, leaving it all till the last minute and not really wrapping it up?

We don't get second series, do we? 

The problem I've had with all these Marvel TV shows is the main episode is lame and then the last few minutes or post credit scene is actually pretty interesting so I watch the next lame episode. I know I'm being played, I know these are just adverts/prepping for the next big movie outing, yet here I am each week.

For me it’s been interesting but hasn’t lived up to expectations sadly. They can’t seem to decide what to do with Loki and his powers & personality have been very inconsistent. It’s been sub dr who in parts and each time you think they are about to do something..they don’t..and it’s been the most obvious path taken instead.  Hopefully the final two episodes will really bring it altogether but can’t help feeling disappointed.

it was great seeing 

Spoiler

Lady Sif again

though.

Loki-based speculation:

Spoiler

So is there some sort of arch villain setting up a Battleworld of some sort that brings together multiverse heroes and villains to thrash out a superior timeline?

Comic-based further speculation:

Spoiler

Didn't Doctor Doom do that in the comics? Could be a cool way to introduce him into the MCU.

All pretty unlikely but fun to speculate!

10 hours ago, NickC said:

Loki-based speculation:

Hide contents

So is there some sort of arch villain setting up a Battleworld of some sort that brings together multiverse heroes and villains to thrash out a superior timeline?

Comic-based further speculation:

Hide contents

Didn't Doctor Doom do that in the comics? Could be a cool way to introduce him into the MCU.

All pretty unlikely but fun to speculate!

The obvious answer is (not a spoiler)

Spoiler

If it isn’t a loki then there’s no thematically relevant reason to introduce Doom, Mephistio etc. Therefore, even if you just go by the intro credits theme, it’s a loki