Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

4 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

Flowers is due a rewatch. What an absolutely amazing and beautiful show that was. 

Don't want to go too off-topic, but the whole Graphic Novel description scene still stays with me. 

59 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I like it, even episode 3 had it's moments. TV at the moment is an embarrassment of riches, compared to what we had in the 80s and 90s so kinda feels redundant to gripe about things when there's a thousand other things to watch. 

Anyway really looking forward to see where they take it in the final episode, lots of theories flying about. 

Any fun ones? I’ve seen way less speculation about this than there was about WV, probably because all those theories were insanely optimistic about how interesting it would be.

22 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Interesting thing I just heard

Hide contents

The two other people we've seen the TVA bring in during this show are men with long dark hair.

Could it be that they were Lokis too? This all leads me to just think the person behind it all is another Loki and has been systamatically been taking out Lokis across time and space so he or she can become the one true Loki.

I would make sense, because really, what did any of these Lokis do? Our Loki escaped via the teseract, but he was told that The Avengers were meant to do that, which means so was he. Cap would later go back and fix that (how we don't know)

Sylvie was doing nothing, she was just playing. If there was an issue with her from the get go because she's female and not male, why did they wait till she was around 10.

Old Classic Loki said all he did was move off his planet and then they swept him up.

So I just think the TVA was set up by a Loki, to take out Lokis so they'd be the top Loki.

Spoiler

Ah, so it's Jet Li's "The One" but Loki. Jet Loki.

Spoiler

We've had everything from it being Alligator Loki to the Cartoon Minute Lady.

Another fun one was how each episode is an infinity gem and that's why each episode has a coloured hue, with the last episode being "time"

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Any fun ones? I’ve seen way less speculation about this than there was about WV, probably because all those theories were insanely optimistic about how interesting it would be.

Mostly just the ones mentioned in the thread here, looking likely to go one of 2 ways although I hope there's some surprises in store. 

7 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Are you James Gunn?  

I get some people don't like them, I didn't get along with Wandavision at all.  I just didn't watch it after two episodes as it wasn't for me. 

I'm not a massive fan of the comics, hardly read any of them besides Thor and some Xmen stuff back in the day.  I was always a 2000AD reader.  I like most of the films but wouldn't say I was hugely invested.  I actually thought the last episode was fun - it had some funny moments and the production values for a TV show are impressive.  It's not a movie, those things tend to be one off events for fans of them, perhaps that's why.  It's likely Disney+ will be releasing further series too so you probably won't see a definitive end to these.  

Nobody can make you like something but the above comments are just harsh, knee-jerk reactions for me.  

Harsh, yes- but the reasons for being so are explained . Knee-jerk? No. A longer period of assessment and reflection on my part will not change my view- although ironically Wandavision has turned out to be the least worst, which I never would have thought by the end of that series.

I'm not passing judgement on those who think the shows are good. Variety is the spice of life and it's good to see stories tackled that likely would never get a cinema release. But I'm worried, for myself and my future with the MCU. And I am looking at that subscription cost in a very different light now.

10 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

The Flowers Loki Funko Pop is a thing of beauty too. 

Reveal hidden contents

E4vkF9zWUAALQl4.jpg.1308ea0894ecf3e75edeba3a7be2cb5f.jpg

I do wish I could get spoilers to work properly on the mobile phone. 

Who is “Flowers Loki”?

EDIT: nm

On 08/07/2021 at 22:33, makkuwata said:

That’s been a gentle unspoken truth about this series so far. She’s not someone I recognise from other work, but she hasn’t been great.

In the shadow of giants I guess, when you’re being directly compared.

She reminds me of how Elizabeth Olsen seemed a bit amdram when Wanda first appeared. I'd love flowers to get more time to flower like Olsen was able to do. 

This is so bad. Episode 1 was intriguing but it's been a steady downhill since then. Poor writing and directing. Only Wilson and Hiddleston makes this remotely watchable. Excessive poor CGI. Stuff happens but not much really happens. Epic ending of episode 5 was cringy and laughable. 

Not sure where Marvel is going. WandaVision was great though. 

I think so far all the Disney MCU offerings have been pretty much meh to alright offerings that have been absolutely carried by the principal cast.  Wandavision ended up not really doing much interesting but by god did Olsen and Bettany carry that to something that I was actually invested in.  Same with TFATWS - the Flagsmasher stuff and Sharon Carter bits were pretty lame, but I could watch Mackie and Stan bounce off each other all day.  So far it’s not really making the mystery that interesting and the oddball stuff that it seemed to promise isn’t that oddball.  Also the action is terribly shot, the “fight” in this episode was woeful.  But Hiddleston is just a lot of fun to watch.

Im kind of glad they did these shows, because the characters have been fun to watch and explored stuff they wouldn’t touch in the films, but at the same time they’ve fluffed large chunks of them, and the stuff that isn’t about the main characters often feels like they just went with the first thing that popped in their heads

One thing I have noticed is there's a lot of really weird scenes where it looks like Tom Hiddleston is basically standing poised in place waiting for a cue before walking or moving through a scene. He seems to be more obviously doing it than the other actors and I can't put my finger on why.

I’ve not read up on it but that’s part of the reason I’ve turned against the show a little. It looks spectacular. They’re  not SG-1 in the 90’s returning to the same Vancouver quarry to dance in front of squibs. But for our time it feels…rewritten, or given up on. The more it sits with me the less well it sits.

9 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

I’ve not read up on it but that’s part of the reason I’ve turned against the show a little. It looks spectacular. They’re  not SG-1 in the 90’s returning to the same Vancouver quarry to dance in front of squibs. But for our time it feels…rewritten, or given up on. The more it sits with me the less well it sits.

Confused.  What does this mean?! 

8 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Confused.  What does this mean?! 

There’s a lot of background noise with the implied investment in this universe that doesn’t quite tie in with “let’s put a purple filter on and see how that works”

57 minutes ago, Benny said:

One thing I have noticed is there's a lot of really weird scenes where it looks like Tom Hiddleston is basically standing poised in place waiting for a cue before walking or moving through a scene. He seems to be more obviously doing it than the other actors and I can't put my finger on why.

It might be due to his theatrical training.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

His Loki has definitely adopted a particular stance. Chest out, arms and one leg slightly back, almost like he's gearing up to break into a sprint.

On 09/07/2021 at 15:01, LeighCb said:

Flowers is due a rewatch. What an absolutely amazing and beautiful show that was. 

On 09/07/2021 at 15:07, Arn X Treme said:

Don't want to go too off-topic, but the whole Graphic Novel description scene still stays with me. 

Thanks, I'd never even heard of Flowers and gave it a go on the basis of these posts. What a great programme!

The only thing that is annoying me about what is otherwise a brilliant show is the medium to larger scale action scenes. Its like they forgot to edit out the parts where characters hold a position until a specific moment before running, jumping, punching, turning, etc. and we are left with extra footage of Loki and others just standing or delaying an action they really need to do. It strips away most of tension and just leaves these scenes feeling quite flat.

Other than that I am loving it, especially the quieter moments between Loki and the other main characters.

On 11/07/2021 at 09:52, sir stiff_one said:

Strange reactions in here compared to what I’ve been watching. Really enjoyable for me. Grant was extra fun, I like ‘our’ Loki, Sylvie is just great.

I don’t think it was explored properly but the cabal of lokis screwing each other over was perfect. 

I do like the commitment to taking everything to its logical conclusion. If Loki is a character that can essentially weasel his way out of almost every situation, and if you have a habit of dumping all your multiverse detritus in a single place at the end of time, then logically eventually all that you will end up with in that place is a shitload of Lokis. You could make a whole series out of that concept alone.