Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

Yeah, when they had the inevitable 'disagreement' not long after meeting I couldnt help but picture it as almost sitcom-like. Constant one-upmanship and scheming, but with them all equally as loki as each other and ultimately no one winner lasting more than five minutes, it'd come off as comically petty rather than 'evil'. Would be fun. :)

On 10/07/2021 at 22:27, Benny said:

One thing I have noticed is there's a lot of really weird scenes where it looks like Tom Hiddleston is basically standing poised in place waiting for a cue before walking or moving through a scene. He seems to be more obviously doing it than the other actors and I can't put my finger on why.

In the Lokis fight scene this really stood out to me, it was really chunky when he was walking through it. Almost as if he was doing a comedy walk.

I think there's just not enough scheming for a show about Loki. I would expect more agency from the god of mischief, you'd think he would start thinking up intricate plans and manipulations immediately after being captured. Instead he's just kinda being swept along.

I think part of the point of what was established over the first two episodes was that the level of power he’s dealing with in the TVA just isn’t vulnerable to his schemes and tricks. I’m pretty sure it’s an intentional decision to present us with a more emotionally raw Loki and allow us to explore his feelings without constantly wondering if he’s being honest or if it’s just part of a big plan.

17 hours ago, Delargey said:

In the Lokis fight scene this really stood out to me, it was really chunky when he was walking through it. Almost as if he was doing a comedy walk.

Isn’t it for the sake of replacing him with a CG stand-in for wide shots? Can’t make the CG movement look real enough? Get the actor to move more like the CG!

7 hours ago, Sane said:

I think there's just not enough scheming for a show about Loki. I would expect more agency from the god of mischief, you'd think he would start thinking up intricate plans and manipulations immediately after being captured. Instead he's just kinda being swept along.

Typically you’d only find out the depths of the schemes in the final episode/comic. Always a possibility he’s been played by Flowers Loki, who seemed to be pretty confident about enchanting a cloud, though I’m not sure what the point of her scheme would have been.

19 minutes ago, Droo said:

I’ve found these marvel shows to be, on average, much better than the movies. 

Not for me. Wandavision came closest because it did something very different, but otherwise the quality in the movies dwarfs the quality we've had in these shows.

This finale can be summarised as:

Spoiler

Big fat info-dump.

The end.

Edit: Forgot to say, despite my comment there I did actually enjoy the finale. :)

I'm only 20 mins in, but *slowclapemoji.gif* to Disney for allowing that!

Not enough to change my overall opinion of the series, but it did make me smile, and they still have plenty of time left in the episode to do a 180. 

Yep. Looks like they've taken the 'TV shows won't impact things too much' ball and thrown it back to the CW stable.

Was I being too fast on the credits or was this lacking an after credits scene? 

Ok, so that was barmy and wonderful. Genuinely surprising end credits reveal too!

Spoiler

Oh and Jonathan Majors is about to book a LOT of work. Or already has booked I suppose.

35 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Yep. Looks like they've taken the 'TV shows won't impact things too much' ball and thrown it back to the CW stable.

Was I being too fast on the credits or was this lacking an after credits scene? 

There's no scene but there was

Spoiler

Confirmation of Season 2

9 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Thanks Hexx. I'll have to go back and rewatch the end.

Spoiler

It's literally just a screen that says "Loki will return in Season 2" so don't put too much effort in

2 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Ok that was a great payoff. Huge implications for the MCU going forward.

A massive LOL to the people who said Marvel wouldn't have the balls to do that in a TV show. They basically made the TV stuff absolutely essential.

Never have I been so happy to be wrong with my main theory and it being what I initially thought before being convinced otherwise.

Also, the colour schemes make so much sense now. There was so much 

Spoiler

Purple and green in this series, even the space lights behind Kang kept fluttering between purple and green (his colours). 

I love where this left us,

Spoiler

that the one decision made by Sylvie to kill him has changed EVERYTHING.

I'm not too sure if I do or don't like the fact that Marvel announced this casting cause once we saw who it was, the mystery was gone. For those who don't keep up with this kind of news, the mystery is still there, for many others it's not. Either way, I loved that it went there.

That's why they didn't 

Spoiler

Use his name.

They've left it for the cinematic reveal and just for those who know to know. 

It's not essential in the fact you don't need to watch Loki to then go into which ever film they are going to do the spoiler tag in, but it gives people that have sat through Loki something.

That is what I expected from Emo Solider, something there for people who sat through it which people that didn't watch could still get something from the corresponding film. 

Just now, deKay said:

Twitter's trending topics is currently a massive spoiler. Which is great.

That's one of those things for me, like coming into threads before watching the latest film and episode etc. People learn't the hard way with Game of Thrones at my old work place to stay offline until you've caught up!

Well

Spoiler

There were so many references to Kang across the series that there has to be a payoff for it. And I guess they did it in the cutest way they could - give an MCU style backstory for him, and leave it at that - but still, better than nothing.

The series finale is basically the knocking of the first domino of where the series is going.

Good stuff 

Well,

Spoiler

They did the new thing we said wouldn't happen of introducing a new character from the comics in the final episode. Guess I need to eat crow.

That said, I think it was a mistake, all the energy of the finale goes intro introducing another character, their deal, and a huge load of exposition, we've known it was a bad idea since the Architect. If they had actually done that in the other shows, I think they would have come off the worse too.

On 07/07/2021 at 23:48, NexivRed said:

Ooooh, that was great! How do you make the music any better?? You add in Ride of The Valkyries!!

You could really notice the nod to Renslayer’s Marvel look with her yellow shirt in this one, I don’t know why.
And after playing through the Lego game, I think it’s totally gonna be 

Hide contents

Kang. They’re setting her up to be a villain and it’s time she got some super powers. 

Why not? This is Phase 4, and we’ve got a shit ton of characters who needs stories. I don’t see why they shouldn’t be knitted together against combined protagonists.

Loki isn’t going to be stand alone. It’s going to go into the next part.

Which is what? Is there a movie before Ms Marvel?

FUCKING CALLED IT, BITCHES!!

Spoiler

With the titles and characters and subject matter of the upcoming marvel films, it’s not really a surprise. One is literally called The Fucked Up Multiverse isn’t it? And it’s all Dr Strange and Antman and other people who can move through time coming up. 

We’re being sensitively introduced to the level of Marvel characters above the well known characters. Because we can kind of accept those ones, but in all honesty, the comics are fucking mental.
The names are mental, the timelines are mental, the stories are fucking mental, with Rocket Racoon and Dark Phoenix off to kill a magic teapot together in the “Orgasmic Galaxy of Dicks” or something. 

I remember the first time we saw Thanos out in space in that credits scene, and suddenly you had to elevate your understanding of this universe’s physics and limitations.

So now we’re going to get celestials and gods and people more powerful than the crazy powers of Vision or Wanda or Captain Marvel. And I do think the bulk of the audience need to be coaxed into it gently, or it all becomes a bit too silly a bit too quickly. That’s why these little mini series are working so well, because they’re the first act for every movie yet to come. 

I also fucking applaud a 6 part TV series for creating an iconic soundtrack. The music is fucking awesome. 

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

See I have no idea who that character is, or the actor. So for me, the finale was quite deflating as it was just a guy explaining the plot and then no proper ending. Should I have to Wikipedia that character so I can have an emotional attachment to the show?

Same here unfortunately.  Just sat down at lunch to watch it and couldn't be more non plussed. 

Spoiler

I'm sure in future films or series I'll be like "ah right, that's who he is, what he can do etc etc", but from this series point of view, I'm just meh.  

I am glad you guys are so excited about it though, it's obviously something big and interesting to come but just feel like I've watched 6 episodes of filler.

3 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

See I have no idea who that character is, or the actor. So for me, the finale was quite deflating as it was just a guy explaining the plot and then no proper ending. Should I have to Wikipedia that character so I can have an emotional attachment to the show?

I don’t think you’d suffer from googling. It’s what I’ve done since the very start, and had a lot of “ooh” and “aha” moments which have enriched my viewing. 

If I hadn’t literally just bought and played the second Marvels Lego game, I couldn’t have made my prediction and realised what it meant. 

Easter eggs/links/future spoilers 

Spoiler

The guy credited in Loki is given the name Nathaniel Richards. In the comics, he (one of this guys variants) is the possible father of Reed Richards of the Fantastic 4. 
And I think at some point a missing spaceship and astronauts are mentioned?

There are a lot of cool Easter eggs in the episodes. Worth checking out some videos. 

Yeah they will be dealing with these consequences for the entirety of the next phase of marvel movies so lol at the “nothing happens on marvel tv brigade”

Spoiler

The Loki broke the multiverse, that’s literally the biggest thing that can happen ever. Also, is it Kang or Nathaniel Richards or Immortus? Is that why they don’t put a name on him?