Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

3 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Yeah they will be dealing with these consequences for the entirety of the next phase of marvel movies so lol at the “nothing happens on marvel tv brigade”

Hide contents

The Loki broke the multiverse, that’s literally the biggest thing that can happen ever. Also, is it Kang or Nathaniel Richards or Immortus? Is that why they don’t put a name on him?

Spoiler

They're all the same. Rama Tut, Immortus, Kang, Iron Lad ect. Different versions of the same character via time/different dimensions ect. I was actually surprised how much they kept to the characters origin (aside of the ethnicity change). As long as we get to see some sweet robo horse and space cowboy action (I think I actually have that copy of FF up in my loft)

3 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Hide contents

They're all the same. Rama Tut, Immortus, Kang, Iron Lad ect. Different versions of the same character via time/different dimensions ect. I was actually surprised how much they kept to the characters origin (aside of the ethnicity change). As long as we get to see some sweet robo horse and space cowboy action (I think I actually have that copy of FF up in my loft)

Spoiler

In the excitement I looked up how much my pristine avengers forever 12 issue collection was worth: £1 each

Not sure what I was expecting, but not any of that, and it was great.

Spoiler

I was hoping we'd get a good amount of facetime with the main baddie, and that ended up being the vast bulk of the episode. Thankfully he did a really good job of the 'ageless eccentric prodigy' trope, and was very enjoyable to watch.

Was a bit surprised at the ending being such a downer until the S2 announcement. Not a fucking clue how they'll work that into Phase 4 or what they'll do in it, mind you.

I really liked that. 

Spoiler

The big bad guy isn't stupid or easily out smarted. 

The moral dilemma presented to the main characters is beautiful. Doctor Who wishes it had come up with it. 

The result has lasting consequences. 

Overall enjoyed the show and don't really get the criticism. The action sequences were in generally pretty poor though. 

Also, come to think of it

Spoiler

I now also have a much stronger appreciation for the relevance of Scarlet Witches mastery of her reality-bending powers, and why Strange would need her assistance to navigate such a horrendous mess.

Capt Falcon still seems pretty fucking irrelevant in the grand scheme of things though!

I didn’t know what was going on and thought it was really boring. Plus I was very confused as to whether it was the last episode because it felt more like the penultimate one. 

Was I just not paying attention or did it not really make much sense for non-comic fans? Despite them going on about the end of the time and the multiversal war etc I didn’t feel like anything was actually at stake. 

Utterly pointless series.

In no way essential at all. Cumberbatch will have a line or two of dialogue in Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Tom 3 to explain it for those who have been lucky enough to avoid the series.

If you're planning on watching it with subtitles on, the main antagonist is actually named within the first few seconds during the voiceover montage at the start of the show. D'oh!

Also, one other interesting thing that was in the subtitles of the montage, one line is spoken by Hank McCoy. Is that the first official reference of mutants in the MCU?

If you’re going to do an episode that’s 50% monologing, that is not a bad way to do it. I do like that it got back around to that basic conflict that the story started with, and the fundamental difference between the Lokis.

32 minutes ago, JPL said:

So the whole series was just a teaser for phase 4. What a complete disappointment.

I don't understand the issue here. People earlier in the thread were moaning it probably wouldn't lead to anything and be self contained and now we learned that it does have consequences and Sylvies actions have caused a rupture in time and caused something to change, its now a waste of time?

50 minutes ago, drmick said:

Utterly pointless series.

In no way essential at all. Cumberbatch will have a line or two of dialogue in Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Tom 3 to explain it for those who have been lucky enough to avoid the series.

That's like saying other MCU films are pointless and only there to set up a future big one. Like what's the point in Civil War if Tony could just say him and Cap fell out and that's that.

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I don't understand the issue here. People earlier in the thread were moaning it probably wouldn't lead to anything and be self contained and now we learned that it does have consequences and Sylvies actions have caused a rupture in time and caused something to change, its now a waste of time?

That's like saying other MCU films are pointless and only there to set up a future big one. Like what's the point in Civil War if Tony could just say him and Cap fell out and that's that.

You are referring to the story/plot. I am referring to its very existence. From before its conception. A complete waste in every measurable metric.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I never said anything about it not leading to anything, but I personally would have preferred it to be self contained, with a bit of a nod to future events, but I found it to be the biggest let down so far (although I only made it 3 episodes in to falcon man and freind). It’s a shame because it was the series I was most looking forward to.

I’m still excited for what’s to come, but as I said, it just felt like an extended teaser for phase 4.

5 minutes ago, drmick said:

You are referring to the story/plot. I am referring to its very existence. From before its conception. A complete waste in every measurable metric.

How so? How can you talk about the show being pointless and not refer to its plot? Its an integral part to the shows existence. What an odd thing to say.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I never said anything about it not leading to anything, but I personally would have preferred it to be self contained, with a bit of a nod to future events, but I found it to be the biggest let down so far (although I only made it 3 episodes in to falcon man and freind). It’s a shame because it was the series I was most looking forward to.

I’m still excited for what’s to come, but as I said, it just felt like an extended teaser for phase 4.

Its apart of the MCU it was never going to be self contained. I think you're just setting yourself up for failure going into the show wanting that.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

My favourite thing about this is now any time there’s a continuity inconsistency they can just say “different multiverse”.

Apart from "8 Years Later"

That shit can never be explained away.

6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Its apart of the MCU it was never going to be self contained. I think you're just setting yourself up for failure going into the show wanting that.

Really? Every single Marvel thing I’ve seen so far has been self contained with a nod to the future at the end. This just felt pretty pointless in comparison to everything they’ve done so far. I’m feeling a bit ill at the moment though, so maybe I just wasn’t in the mood.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Really? Every single Marvel thing I’ve seen so far has been self contained with a nod to the future at the end. This just felt pretty pointless in comparison to everything they’ve done so far. I’m feeling a bit ill at the moment though, so maybe I just wasn’t in the mood.

That's pretty much what this was too. That's what I meant in it not being self contained. Outside phase 1 and maybe Black Panther, it always felt like there was something that has consequences for later on. I think at this point I'd expect there to be links to something already going on or for it to set the ball rolling on something else.

On 07/07/2021 at 20:16, Harsin said:

After Wandavision I'm surprised people are still doing the whole oh the real mastermind will be Kang/Mephisto/Doctor Doom/Kiteman/The Nintendo Switch Pro thing. Generally they're not going to suddenly introduce a completely unrelated character who the majority of the audience will never have heard of and try and to cram enough of their background into a the 40 odd minutes they have left, on top of tying up the whole TVA/Mobius/Sylvie/Loki plot threads that are still left. That's usually not how satisfying storytelling works. Besides, Disney are not going to expect people to have had to watch Loki to have a clue who the bad guy in Ant Man 3 is.

You were half-right!

Just watched it. Its OK I suppose. 

Although with all this multiverse shit it seems like everything that has happened is inconsequential. Nothing matters. 

So... 

Spoiler

Is Kang the Conquerer going to be the new Thanos then? 

I'm only here to test a forum bug but I'm genuinely surprised people didn't like that, assuming folks were generally into MCU (unsure). I loved the character building for Loki and while I didn't quite get the end (I've never read Marvel) I'm sure it'll make sense when the next films come out.