Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

I think I misunderstood the fundamental concept of the show…

Spoiler

That there are different multiverses but they have all been tuned to the one timeline. So you can have all those different types of Loki etc but as long as they  follow the same path it’s fine. Oops. I

6 hours ago, Popo said:

Is it a result of her actions? The timelines started to branch before that - we could see it happening in the background in the moments leading up to What Sylvie Did. 

Hide contents

Maybe T1WR was planning to do an all staff email to the TVA, directing them to obey the Lokis from now on and to get back to work, but it seems to me that once the genie was out of the bottle, and the TVA agents knew of their true origins, there was no going back irrespective of what Sylvie did - what she was always going to do, in a deterministic reality. 

Lokis are by their nature extremely persuasive.

I thought the entire series felt like high school students getting work experience in the MCU/Disney+ offices, with the promise that their final product would be aired.

Change of director, or any of the production team, can't get it any worse. Can it?

On 14/07/2021 at 15:58, TehStu said:

Oh shit, I just realized I haven't seen the last episode. What a plonker, no wonder I had no idea who you were talking about.

But it sounds cool, I have really enjoyed this series :)

NARRATOR: He didn't get the end because it wasn't the end.

Ok, yeah, now it makes sense.
Well, insofar as I literally have no idea who this character is but get that we've setup the next films. Enjoyed it.

Silly question. Given the relatively trivial things the TVA purged for, how come

Spoiler

Thanos was allowed to wipe out half the life in the universe?

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

Ok, yeah, now it makes sense.
Well, insofar as I literally have no idea who this character is but get that we've setup the next films. Enjoyed it.

Silly question. Given the relatively trivial things the TVA purged for, how come

Hide contents

It’s part of the sacred timeline, presumably preferable to the alternatives that Immortus had experienced. 

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

It’s part of the sacred timeline, presumably preferable to the alternatives that Immortus had experienced. 

Strange said he saw over 14 million possible futures and they were only successful in making things right in one of those. So I think that fits in with it being the sacred timeline and the others being worse.

7 hours ago, TehStu said:

Hide contents

That happened in a movie that came out before Loki was written so the TVA can’t change it.

10 hours ago, drmick said:

I thought the entire series felt like high school students getting work experience in the MCU/Disney+ offices, with the promise that their final product would be aired.

Change of director, or any of the production team, can't get it any worse. Can it?

It's okay, you don't have to watch it.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

That happened in a movie that came out before Loki was written so the TVA can’t change it.

I guess, although I thought this was all planned out until the heat death of the universe. But the other explanations make sense.

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

I guess, although I thought this was all planned out until the heat death of the universe. But the other explanations make sense.

I think it goes in cycles. I’m sure they’ve got an idea of where these movies and shows are leading, with a finale in place, but I doubt they know exactly what will happen in any of the movies or series that are still in pre-production. With any crossover between pre and post Endgame split I’m guessing they might have more of a divide, as Endgame was a line that they’d planned up to and then spent years moving towards. I’m guessing Endgame’s general content was probably finalised a while before they started exploring what came after it. 

Release date speculation based on the next announced appearance of an actor from Loki:

Spoiler

I wonder if the second season of Loki will be out before Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania in February 2023?

If Loki S2 comes first, they'll be restricted in how heavily Kang can feature - I doubt they'll want to develop him too far in a Disney+ series because they won't be able to guarantee that viewers of Ant-Man 3 will have seen it.

So to me it seems that Ant-Man 3 coming first, with a two-year gap between seasons of Loki, would be more likely.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Release date speculation based on the next announced appearance of an actor from Loki:

Hide contents

I wonder if the second season of Loki will be out before Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania in February 2023?

If Loki S2 comes first, they'll be restricted in how heavily Kang can feature - I doubt they'll want to develop him too far in a Disney+ series because they won't be able to guarantee that viewers of Ant-Man 3 will have seen it.

So to me it seems that Ant-Man 3 coming first, with a two-year gap between seasons of Loki, would be more likely.

Spoiler

There can be loads of different Kangs from different multiverses, so there’s no reason they can have multiple Kant variants appearing in different shows/movies. 

What are the odds that the next few phases will become the "Multiverse Saga", similar to how 1-3 have been labelled the Infinity Saga? And that similar to Thanos, we've now got a big bad who'll pop up all over the place to set up a big Endgame style blowout.  Calling it now, Phase 5 will have a New Avengers film, which ties the Falcon and the Winter Soldier in.  Only thing is though (villian spoilers)

Spoiler

Multiverse Kang gets set up to potentially be more interesting in some ways, as they can portray multiple variants of him, though my guess is they will set up one "big bad" variant as well.  That does mean potentially a lot of appearances for Majors.  Would expect to see him in the Fantasic Four movie in some way, even if only in a post credit scene.

I think they might play it a bit looser and do multiple story threads involving different Kangs - maybe with a relatively late reveal that these aren’t happening in the same multiverse*. Frees up the writers from having to tie in to one 15-part movie sequence and lets them cover more different audiences.

Edit - But with some sort of blow out finale to bring it all together, yeah, for sure.

*Part of the multiverse? Universe?

This one is going to be shorter I think, Feige said that this next arc isn’t going to be ten years long. I think it’s interesting that the last movie of this phase is FF, so I’m not sure if they’re just not going to have a big event movie at the end, or if FF will be that movie? 

I definitely think it makes sense that this phase will be a shorter one. I’m expecting the multiverse to be a device designed primarily to introduce things like the X-Men into the main MCU through alternate timelines, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they didn’t also use it to add in child variants of Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers and maybe T’Challa so that in a few years they can recast them.

As a more casual fan (seen all the MCU films and TV shows, but haven’t read any Marvel comics since the turn of the century), I’d be annoyed if the multiverse ended one of the main appeals of the MCU, whereby it’s all part of an ongoing interlocking storyline. Would quickly lose patience if every MCU film and TV show going forward ended up in its own isolated mini-continuity, DC-style. Just putting it out there.

13 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Hide contents

There can be loads of different Kangs from different multiverses, so there’s no reason they can have multiple Kant variants appearing in different shows/movies. 

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

What are the odds that the next few phases will become the "Multiverse Saga", similar to how 1-3 have been labelled the Infinity Saga? And that similar to Thanos, we've now got a big bad who'll pop up all over the place to set up a big Endgame style blowout.  Calling it now, Phase 5 will have a New Avengers film, which ties the Falcon and the Winter Soldier in.  Only thing is though (villian spoilers)

Hide contents

Multiverse Kang gets set up to potentially be more interesting in some ways, as they can portray multiple variants of him, though my guess is they will set up one "big bad" variant as well.  That does mean potentially a lot of appearances for Majors.  Would expect to see him in the Fantasic Four movie in some way, even if only in a post credit scene.

Spoiler

I wonder if they'll treat it like Harrison Wells in the Flash TV series, so that every time a different version of Kang appears, the actor gives a very different performance?

At the moment, I hope so; I'm not sure I really want an ongoing villain to be performed like He Who Remains! Though I suppose it'd make a change from the nearly humourless Thanos.

Just this morning I was reading about the director commending Kang’s acting as different characters, about how he did a load of different stuff for them to choose from for the Timekeeper characters too. 

19 hours ago, Nick R said:

Reveal hidden contents

I read somewhere last week that Loki season two starts filming in Jan 2022, and that season one took six months to film and a further six months for post-production, so it seems likely that you’re correct.

I cannot get enthused about season 2 obviously, as I fall in the camp that didn't like it.

But for those who did like it- what would you be looking forward to in a second season? All the things that people have said they have liked about this, cannot really be done a second time.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Multiple comic sites seem to be confirming that He Who Remains is Kang. Marvel Unlimited also have a Kang promotion to coincide with the last episode of Loki.

I think it's easier for them to just call him Kang isn't it, knowing that Majors will be playing Kang in Quantumania. But he's just a varient of what some people know as Kang. Kang has taken many names. I think He Who Remains was meant to be Immortus, rather than Kang.

I think you're all being overly nerdy/geeky about the name. The average viewer is going to see one person, and think of one name. It's going to be Kang, and variants of Kang. No Immortus or whatever. Just Kang. I'd bet money on it. 

I don't really know much about Marvel stuff besides liking several of the films, Avengers, GotG, Dr Strange, Infinity War, Iron Man etc. I'm sure I asked once in a relevant thread about the hierarchy in the comics and so the films. The final of this series shows something pretty powerful but from what I can gather their are characters that trump even that and would have dominion over the multiverse, Celestials, Watchers or whatever. Is that right?

9 hours ago, Broker said:

This one is going to be shorter I think, Feige said that this next arc isn’t going to be ten years long. I think it’s interesting that the last movie of this phase is FF, so I’m not sure if they’re just not going to have a big event movie at the end, or if FF will be that movie? 

I definitely think it makes sense that this phase will be a shorter one. I’m expecting the multiverse to be a device designed primarily to introduce things like the X-Men into the main MCU through alternate timelines, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they didn’t also use it to add in child variants of Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers and maybe T’Challa so that in a few years they can recast them.

Makes sense, the first didn’t need to be twenty odd movies long, five or six of the best would’ve done it, but money was on the table I guess. I mean Thanos was only really brought into the first lot in any meaningful sense in Infinity war.