Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

17 hours ago, drmick said:

I cannot get enthused about season 2 obviously, as I fall in the camp that didn't like it.

But for those who did like it- what would you be looking forward to in a second season? All the things that people have said they have liked about this, cannot really be done a second time.

Balls to the wall multi universe madness. Lean into it in a way they can't do in a big film. 

I mean, I doubt they will, but that's what I want. 

18 hours ago, drmick said:

I cannot get enthused about season 2 obviously, as I fall in the camp that didn't like it.

But for those who did like it- what would you be looking forward to in a second season? All the things that people have said they have liked about this, cannot really be done a second time.

Another series where characters actually learn and grow in meaningful ways which ties into the plot and doesn't swerve last minute into a big CGI fight would be nice. I thought Loki was really refreshing in that it introduced two characters to us in Loki and Silvie, developed them over six episodes and then gave them an ultimatum that genuinely challenged both of them and that would have been settled in less than a second if it had given it to them at the start of episode one. 

It wasn't perfect, it was definitely a bit too "tell don't show" at times and it occasionally felt a little rushed in places but that's 1000 times better than the alternative. There's always people in these threads saying things like "well that was a filler episode" and "that didn't move the plot on at all 3/10" but as long as everything's tied into developing the characters and having them influence the plot later down the line then I'm all good with whatever they do in season 2. 

I really like twisty/timey time travel stuff that doesn't always stack up to thinking as long as it rattles along at a good pace and develops it's characters as it goes and Loki season 1 did that really well. So they can sort of do anything with season 2 for me as long as that's the case again. 

On 14/07/2021 at 13:22, Gigawatt said:

See I have no idea who that character is, or the actor. So for me, the finale was quite deflating as it was just a guy explaining the plot and then no proper ending. Should I have to Wikipedia that character so I can have an emotional attachment to the show?

Yeah I felt the same way. I enjoyed the whole series, but the ending was a little underwhelming.

I wanted more of the DB Cooper style antics. I really like the idea of Loki being behind all the best unsolved crimes in history. Shame it amounted to nothing.

I just want another cool, interesting story made by people who know what they're doing. Probably a mistake for me to be the one who comes up with that story. For me this series filled the void that Dr Who left when it dumbed down in recent seasons, so I'd be quite happy with further Loki hi-jinks across the multiverse. Further to my earlier comment "this is like a TTRPG campaign" I think what this had that other Marvel stuff hasn't had, is that it felt like the conclusion to a high level D&D campaign, where the PCs are hopping between planes and tangling with gods and demons and wish spells and things that man was not meant to know. I know Thor was nominally about gods, but that translated to big shiny fake palaces and rainbow bridges, whereas this one managed a scope that gave me a childish sense of wonder, and I'd be happy for that to continue. Give me mad stuff from the comics that I'm not familiar with.

I’d recommend that anyone who wants to enjoy the Marvel stuff more, to just go and google it. Check out the Marvel wiki. Watch some YouTubes of trailer Easter eggs or “what to expect” etc.  Look at origin stories and how other characters factor in to different narratives.

You’re unlikely to ruin a movie for yourself, because they’re only used as inspiration and we’ve no idea how strong they’ll keep to the character’s comic arcs. 

I knew basically fuck all, but now I know enough to enjoy speculation and realisation. It just makes everything more wholesome when you get a better idea of what the fuck is going on and who’s who.
I’ll be doing some background research for the 5 rings movie characters for sure. 

On 18/07/2021 at 10:26, George Clooney said:

That does mean potentially a lot of appearances for Majors. 

Or, each Kang variant is a different actor, same as all the Lokis 

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

I know Thor was nominally about gods, but that translated to big shiny fake palaces and rainbow bridges, whereas this one managed a scope that gave me a childish sense of wonder, and I'd be happy for that to continue. Give me mad stuff from the comics that I'm not familiar with.

While I adore the idea of Marvel finally going fully cosmic I really hope that they allow a distinct tone for everything from this point onward. It doesn't have to be grimdark but something off-putting and truly weird would be welcome, given the territory.

Cosmic, great. Multiverse, a bit of a problem.

Very easy to leave the casual fan aside as they'll quickly not have a fucking clue as to what's going on.

Crossovers cause people to stop reading comics a lot, after all.

13 hours ago, NexivRed said:

I’d recommend that anyone who wants to enjoy the Marvel stuff more, to just go and google it. Check out the Marvel wiki. Watch some YouTubes of trailer Easter eggs or “what to expect” etc.  Look at origin stories and how other characters factor in to different narratives.

You’re unlikely to ruin a movie for yourself, because they’re only used as inspiration and we’ve no idea how strong they’ll keep to the character’s comic arcs. 

I knew basically fuck all, but now I know enough to enjoy speculation and realisation. It just makes everything more wholesome when you get a better idea of what the fuck is going on and who’s who.
I’ll be doing some background research for the 5 rings movie characters for sure. 

Or even better, read some Marvel comics.

Not sure when the making of doc went up on D+ but just watched it and it’s a cracking hour of telly. Hiddleston is just such an amiable host. Really interesting behind the scenes stuff. Well worth a watch.

That was my issue with the series. You've got a great leading man in Tom Hiddlestone and a fun character in Loki but we hardly got to see him in his pomp. They make a big thing in the trailer of "oh he's arrogant" which is half the fun of the character but he then spends most of the series on the back foot.

I mean I'm all for developing the character and I quite like where he ended up by the end but at least give us a couple of episodes of him Tom Ellis-ing his way through things beforehand. A bit of fun before we get to the rather less exciting 'moving plot things into place' part. 

Also, you give a character a great name like 'Ravonna Renslayer' and then don't have her do anything? Wtf? 

I'm not sure if we mean the same thing @scottcr but I found low-key Loki didn't really work.  He felt like a different character at times - I understand that by watching his future he was humbled, but people don't change that much in such a short space of time.  Even when he was goofing around on the train, drunkenly singing and dancing, the performance lacked flair and a sense of mischief.

yeah - pretty much.  Richard E Loki was the best Loki.  I expected time travel shenanigans, but thought Loki became really uninteresting by the end of the series.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I'm not sure if we mean the same thing @scottcr but I found low-key Loki didn't really work.  He felt like a different character at times - I understand that by watching his future he was humbled, but people don't change that much in such a short space of time.  Even when he was goofing around on the train, drunkenly singing and dancing, the performance lacked flair and a sense of mischief.

It was all a bit.... human....for my liking.

3 hours ago, Popo said:

I'm pretty sure that if you were shown your life and found it to be a series of petty vindictive self serving victories and a pointless death on the empty bridge of your slain kin, you might just stop for a few minutes and reassess some of the things you held dear. 

The moebius arrived to tell him he had achieved nothing and that his dreams of power and control were empty. 

That's a lot to take in isn't it? Then he's shown a whole series of other lokis that all do the same thing and all fail. Endlessly, ad infinitum. 

Even Richard E Grant said he'd spent a millennia thinking about all the things he'd done a realised it had all be futile. 

11 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I'm pretty sure that if you were shown your life and found it to be a series of petty vindictive self serving victories and a pointless death on the empty bridge of your slain kin, you might just stop for a few minutes and reassess some of the things you held dear. 

The moebius arrived to tell him he had achieved nothing and that his dreams of power and control were empty. 

That's a lot to take in isn't it? Then he's shown a whole series of other lokis that all do the same thing and all fail. Endlessly, ad infinitum. 

Even Richard E Grant said he'd spent a millennia thinking about all the things he'd done a realised it had all be futile. 

maybe - didn't make for an interesting character on screen though.

But it wasn’t anybody, it was Loki. He was an utter cunt in Thor 1, doubled down in Avengers 1 and was up to his neck in deep shit with Thanos and Earth at the end. Nothing he tried ever worked out and he was destined to repeat the loop infinitely (or die trying) regardless of how much he tried to break it. Rather sobering I would have thought. Seeing every life ambition you have laid out in front of you as completely futile, you might give some serious consideration to trying to fight the system. And in doing so, change. No one else gets Loki. He’s burned every bridge and no one ever trusts him. Until he meets a good version of himself, showing him what he could be, even against the greatest odds, and he falls in love for the first time ever. Very fitting to find love with essentially himself. 

It’s a good redemption arc for a single version of Loki, and makes him interesting because we end up trusting him and liking him despite knowing what he’s just done (tried to take over earth!)

Just checking here, the people who were bored that loki was different and didn't end with a big CGI fight, did you like Wanda vision when it ended like all MCU movies this far with a big CGI fight? 

Or were you disappointed that it was the same thing as before. 

Problem with multiverses is there's no 'our' Loki, or any character.

Has always made everyone redundant and replacable to me, and destroyed the stakes, especially in the comics.

There were a ton of Lokis in this and I didn’t care about any of them because the story was about one (or er, two). The existence of the multiverse doesn’t negate our relationships and meaning with the ones we know.

30 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Just checking here, the people who were bored that loki was different and didn't end with a big CGI fight, did you like Wanda vision when it ended like all MCU movies this far with a big CGI fight? 

I thought Loki was boring- but it's boringness was nothing to do with it being different and not ending in a big CGI fight!

Just taking the Loki series in complete isolation I thought that the ending with Kang was very intriguing, and that last episode is probably the best* one in the series. Rather it was the actions and motives of Loki and Sylvie that were quite predictable and unoriginal. 

I definitely get an Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Last Ark vibe from the main Loki in this series. He is nothing more than a witness to the events that occur.

*Least worst

7 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I wasn’t bored by it. I think the show failed to sell the change in character. 

I loved the show and think it’s the best of the three Disney Plus series by far, but the character felt like a different person to the one we know from the movies to such a degree that I found it jarring. 

7 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

There were a ton of Lokis in this and I didn’t care about any of them because the story was about one (or er, two). The existence of the multiverse doesn’t negate our relationships and meaning with the ones we know.

Except that this one is a different one to the one we knew?