Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

10 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Just checking here, the people who were bored that loki was different and didn't end with a big CGI fight, did you like Wanda vision when it ended like all MCU movies this far with a big CGI fight? 

Or were you disappointed that it was the same thing as before. 

not liking boring Loki does not equal wanting a big CGI fight

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

Except that this one is a different one to the one we knew?

Well, he’s supposed to be identical to the one we know up until (almost) the end of Avengers Assemble I think. And from that point on we get to know him better.  

9 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Well, he’s supposed to be identical to the one we know up until (almost) the end of Avengers Assemble I think. And from that point on we get to know him better.  

To me they just reversed engineered him to be the same character, which is exactly the problem, no character dies.

On 22/07/2021 at 16:35, Popo said:

I'm not sure if we mean the same thing @scottcr but I found low-key Loki didn't really work.  He felt like a different character at times - I understand that by watching his future he was humbled, but people don't change that much in such a short space of time.  Even when he was goofing around on the train, drunkenly singing and dancing, the performance lacked flair and a sense of mischief.

I think it’s hard to say how “people” would react to being torn out of time, shown the rest of their lives and presented with the fact that the things they believed were their destiny would never have happened to them. It’s not possible for us in reality to experience that or know how we would deal with it, and that’s before you account for the fact that he isn’t a person in the way we understand them, he’s a being thousands of years old who experiences time differently to us.

For me what sold his change wasn’t so  much the moment where he saw his life, it was the moment when he found the spare infinity stones in the drawer. This is a character who understands and has experienced a higher and more powerful form of existence than we ever could, and he was presented with the power he’d lusted after his whole life, a power that made gods look like nothing, and it shrank away into insignificance compared to the TVA. That sense of the scale of power, and his incredibly minor role in the vastness of the universe, blowing his mind and throwing his perspective into a completely different place makes total sense to me.

On 22/07/2021 at 20:12, Sidewaysbob said:

What, you want more of the same thing we've had for the last ten years? Exactly the same character we're used to? 

This was it for me. I love MCU Loki but we’ve had five movies of him being like that. I was really worried that it was all going to turn out to be a big trick by Loki and I’m really glad it wasn’t. I think there’s always going to be a split between people who enjoy the comfort of seeing established characters in familiar locations and people who want to see those characters change and be put into unfamiliar circumstances. 

I don’t like wasting much time talking about things I find average, but I wouldn’t say you had 5 movies of Loki being ‘Loki’. He’s a villain in Thor & Avengers, a reformed rogue that’s ultimately a good guy in Dark World & Ragnarok, and goes out in a hero’s death in his 5min Infinity War cameo. 

He is supposed to be a god. In this - his very first show - he’s no different to any of us, and is a passenger in his own story. It’s just Dr.Who level nonsense & a waste of what could have been such a great premise - I remember those trailers for this & thinking about all the great adventures he must have been getting up to. Turns out one was a flashback & the rest were just other variants who appeared for a few minutes. You could have removed Loki from this story & little would have changed. 

Also the Infinity Stones in a drawer has little to do with the TVAs power, the stones don’t work if they are not in their own dimension. 

Anyway, I’m happy that some people like it. Just another of these shows that done seem for me I’m afraid 😧 

I don’t recognise the equivalence between wanting more of the same thing and not being sold on the execution of the direction they took the character. 

• 2 weeks later...

We rewatched Dr Strange last night (possibly my favorite character) and the amount of Loki related stuff, which went in one ear and out the next at the time, was bonkers. Really looking forward to S2 now.