Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

I think it’s a pretty normal length, though I only listen to a few. I think it’s definitely a but rambling, we’re talking about dividing it into segments to try to keep us more on topic.

Thanks so much for listening and for the feedback guys, it’s really helpful :) 

It must be hard to get timings right. When you’re doing them it feels like nothing. Then it’s 1 and a half hours which puts a lot of people off, but the shorter ones are annoying as it’s nice to dig into a podcast on a drive. Good luck w it!

I could definitely waffle on about comic books for three hours. Both times he's had to interupt and say we're wrapping things up now and yeah, I absolutely didn't realise they'd been that long.

On 21/06/2021 at 12:57, Broker said:

Me and a friend have started doing a podcast, the first episode is about Loki as a character over the MCU (though we’re not great at staying on topic). We’ve recorded a second episode about the first two episodes that will be up in the next few days, and would obviously appreciate it if anyone wants to listen:

Will give it a listen, as I really enjoy listening to other people's takes and theories on these shows. Already listen to two other spoiler casts as well as doing my own. But ours are on our patreon feed so unless people here are listening to us regularly anyway, I dont expect anyone to sign up just for those. Although I'll toot my own horn, I'm very happy with them.

https://www.patreon.com/modernescapism?filters[tag]=Loki

On 22/06/2021 at 02:20, Broker said:

I think it’s a pretty normal length, though I only listen to a few. I think it’s definitely a but rambling, we’re talking about dividing it into segments to try to keep us more on topic.

Thanks so much for listening and for the feedback guys, it’s really helpful :) 

Finished it earlier.  Would and will definitely listen to another one.  I'm utterly amazed by your knowledge of each film/comic/series, fair play, it was a good listen.

Yeah, wasn't great.

I'm already sick of scenes that are really blatantly made on that Unreal Engine virtual set thing. They're all set up exactly the same and you can pretty much see the join between the floor and the screen.

It did raise some questions for me about what makes a loki a loki:

Spoiler

I never saw the first couple of thor movies, so didnt know loki was adopted (or forgot if it was mentioned elsewhere), so had assumed that this variant was basically if the same parents had had a different kid. Of course, if this variant was born to someone else entirely and was then adopted by the asgardian royal family, it kind of suggests that it's the being bought up by them that creates a loki for whatever reason.

What the hell was going on at the end. 

Spoiler

That lovely little set and it just served no purpose. They ran around in a circle for some reason and had a fight for some reason whilst everything was getting destroyed.

Must have had a big scene cut as that just didn't mesh.

Yeah that end scene was a confusing mess.

Spoiler

Like a live action videogame. It looked impressive, but I'm not sure for what purpose.

And the actual story elements were pretty weak, as despite a few nice little character moments there was literally no advancement of the plot, which has previously set up some mysteries that we the audience would quite like them to explore now that we're invested. I think there was only a single plot forwarding line in the entire episode: the one about all the TVA authority being made up of variants that don't know they're variants.

2 hours ago, PK said:

Yeah, wasn't great.

I'm already sick of scenes that are really blatantly made on that Unreal Engine virtual set thing. They're all set up exactly the same and you can pretty much see the join between the floor and the screen.

To be fair, that Unreal virtual set is an incredible tool when used well, but all it does is allow more options. Mandalorian has some brilliant cinematography and used it very effectively, but that all has to start with good direction and eye for detail rather than just slapping the actors in it and mucking about.

I do like that they’ve managed to give us three very distinct episode stories each with a beginning, middle, and end which also work as chapters in one story. That is some good solid TV writing.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

That was shite. Like a Doctor Who episode, it looked and felt proper low budget, and it went absolutely nowhere. Filler episode.

thats exactly what I said. Very disappointing episode, probably the worst of all series so far.

Yea, that was a bit flat, really. A nice opportunity to find out more about our antagonist, which didn’t really happen, and a scene inviting Tom Hiddleston to really tear chunks out of the scenery that he kinda failed to get to grips with. 

Didnae get me wrong, I’m enjoying his slightly more nuanced approach with the character in this show - and the scene in the first episode where he

Spoiler

watches his future history unfold

was delivered with real empathy - but Loki is to be best enjoyed with charisma and theatricality, and that’s not really what we’re getting here. Which would be fine, except that’s exactly how the scenes are being written for him. 

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:
  Hide contents

Wait Loki can throw an entire building with telekinesis but space security guards give him a hard time?

Yeah that confused the fuck out of me.

Spoiler

We've never seen Loki use that kind of magic before as far as I know.

Here's the real reason: they probably rendered the building falling down and being raised back up and needed to work out what character does that to it and thought ah fuck it Loki does, yolo.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh come on guys ...

Reveal hidden contents

None of that episode actually "happened", it's all in Loki's head because Sylvie is in his head, and she's making him believe he's strong enough to resist her because that strokes his ego. She even spells out that she creates an elaborate setting for the stronger minded, which completely passed by Loki due to his arrogance.  And appears to have passed by some of you lot as well. ;) 

But we learned nothing from that episode whatsoever. It did not further the plot at all. 

Spoiler

She said that she creates a scenario from their memories though?

9 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Reveal hidden contents

She said that she creates a scenario from their memories though?

Oooh, that is a good point, and a little detail that passed me by ;) I guess we'll see in the next episode what's what. 

Pure filler episode. Not bad per se but nothing really of import.

Also that final action scene was oddly clunkily done. Proper amateur given a massive budget and all the toys but no finesse in using it.

Never mind the episode, this show is shite. I have almost zero hope it can salvage itself now. It feels like the makers of the show have never seen any of the MCU movies that Loki has been in, but read a brief plot summary from Wikipedia.

And assuming that this show strikes out by the end, that is all three of the Disney+ shows that have turned out crap. Something is really wrong in the MCU head office now and I have no clue as to why.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Oh come on guys ...

Reveal hidden contents

None of that episode actually "happened", it's all in Loki's head because Sylvie is in his head, and she's making him believe he's strong enough to resist her because that strokes his ego. She even spells out that she creates an elaborate setting for the stronger minded, which completely passed by Loki due to his arrogance.  And appears to have passed by some of you lot as well. ;) 

But we learned nothing from that episode whatsoever. It did not further the plot at all. 

It absolutely does not matter if the plot progresses forwards or not, the characters and their relationship does, which is usually more valuable. 

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It absolutely does not matter if the plot progresses forwards or not, the characters and their relationship does, which is usually more valuable. 

Which would be fine if there was some actual character development. There was little to none. 

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Which would be fine if there was some actual character development. There was little to none. 

We knew literally nothing about a certain character in the prior episode. This one was all about them and their growing relationship with Loki.