Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

6 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Nope. But I'm trying to decipher this page while I wait.

https://www.goretroid.com/pages/delivery-dashboard

I'm none the wiser so far.

I messaged them and they said it wouldn't be shipping until after the national holiday which runs 1st - 7th October. So looks like this might be Christmas present for me now...

On 26/09/2020 at 14:30, CurryKitten said:

I got a note today saying mine was on it's way (orange) which I ordered 1 day after the cut off of the last run, but that I can work out what that delivery-dashboard page is trying to say either

What was the cut-off for the last run? The website is a bit hard to interpret...

38 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

What was the cut-off for the last run? The website is a bit hard to interpret...

I think it was the 28th or 29th August.  I ordered on the 30th, but thought I'd made the cut-off as the text was still on the website saying "this is the last day for pre-orders for this run" but I didn't notice the date was out of date..  Hopefully they make better retro hand-helds than they do websites

Well my Retroid Pocket 2 is here and I have to say that I'm a little underwhelmed.  In terms of the hardware, no complaints.  The screen is lovely, it's easy to hold in your hands and the dpad and buttons are good.  As is the left hand side analog stick and the shoulder buttons.  The little nub that is the right hand sticks isn't great, but I think everyone knows that.

So my general feeling of underwhelmingness is that it's still hassle to sort out.   By default it boots into Android and there's a few emus stuck on there for you, or you can reboot it into it's Retroid mode where you get a fairly functional menu and there's a bunch of games installed on the card and from that menu SNES/Nes/GBA/Playstation games all work pretty well and there's even a "store" where you can download new roms for it (for free)

Bur if you run an N64 game from here, it's poo and theres no options to fiddle with the game settings for the Retroid app, so you go back to Android and piss about with Mupen64 for a while until you get the right profile and video mode and everything is good... but then you've lost the nice easy app, and the Roms the Retroid app uses are somewhere hidden/encryted and so you can't "see" them from the Android side of things.  You can get the Retroid app to see your roms, but it doesn't do a very good job of scraping stuff to get any info.

I've had a go at setting Retroarch up - but I find it hideous.  It was easier to get individual apps for each system and get those working nicely.  As far as front ends went, perhaps dig is the way, but I couldn't get it to work nicely in the way I wanted, and it seemed to have problems running some cores from retroarch.

I guess it's just not quite as joined up as I'd like it to be - lots of hassle to set things up in a decent way and then multiple places to run them from.

That said, the PSX emulation is great.  There's a bunch of RPGs on PSX that I'm never going to get around to at home and so being able to play when I'm away is cool

8 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

Well my Retroid Pocket 2 is here and I have to say that I'm a little underwhelmed.  In terms of the hardware, no complaints.  The screen is lovely, it's easy to hold in your hands and the dpad and buttons are good.  As is the left hand side analog stick and the shoulder buttons.  The little nub that is the right hand sticks isn't great, but I think everyone knows that.

Doesn't it have the option to dual boot? Give it a bit of time and I'm sure there will be better builds available.

8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Doesn't it have the option to dual boot? Give it a bit of time and I'm sure there will be better builds available.

Yeah - you have to boot between the Retroid app and android.   It's so weird though - I can't even get GBA to run nicely on the Android part of it, the sound keeps cracking.  Yet the same game runs fine under Retroid.  My original emus I used on my old WikiPad work nicely - at least the SNes-X, Megadrive and ePSXe.  So weird that gameboy is crap.  I'm sure there's settings and other things hiding somewhere that will help, but I didn't expect to have to make this much effort

Right so i'm looking for an emulator for my lad that'll basically play anything GBA and beyond - one thats easy to set up and has a good screen with hdmi out.

Must play PS1 at full speed ideally.

Is the droix the way to go? I'm not really up on handheld emulation.

41 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Right so i'm looking for an emulator for my lad that'll basically play anything GBA and beyond - one thats easy to set up and has a good screen with hdmi out.

Must play PS1 at full speed ideally.

Is the droix the way to go? I'm not really up on handheld emulation.

You don't say what handheld you have?

On 03/10/2020 at 17:53, CurryKitten said:

Yeah - you have to boot between the Retroid app and android.   It's so weird though - I can't even get GBA to run nicely on the Android part of it, the sound keeps cracking.  Yet the same game runs fine under Retroid.  My original emus I used on my old WikiPad work nicely - at least the SNes-X, Megadrive and ePSXe.  So weird that gameboy is crap.  I'm sure there's settings and other things hiding somewhere that will help, but I didn't expect to have to make this much effort

My RP2 has now shipped so I guess it will actually arrive before Xmas. If I wanted to use it for emulating C64, spectrum and Amiga what are my best options? RetroArch? Standalone android apps?

On 05/10/2020 at 17:06, Stoppy2000 said:

My RP2 has now shipped so I guess it will actually arrive before Xmas. If I wanted to use it for emulating C64, spectrum and Amiga what are my best options? RetroArch? Standalone android apps?

The actual shipping was pretty quick - under a week IIRC so you'll have it soon.  I haven't tried any computer emulators on the RP2, so not sure.  Generally I've found the standalone stuff to be better than the RetroArch cores.... but I do have a general disdain for RetroArch.  It seems like the most unintuitive piece of software ever imagined.  

Re-reading my posts - it seems like I'm on a bit of a downer about he RP2.  It works well, I spent 40 minutes playing Grandia on the PS1 and Super Punch out on Snes 9X emulator whilst waiting for my daughter to finish school.  My only annoyance is the fact I have to jump around between Android/Retroid boots to get the right performance from it which is faff... and who's got time for faffing.

4 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

The actual shipping was pretty quick - under a week IIRC so you'll have it soon.  I haven't tried any computer emulators on the RP2, so not sure.  Generally I've found the standalone stuff to be better than the RetroArch cores.... but I do have a general disdain for RetroArch.  It seems like the most unintuitive piece of software ever imagined.  

Re-reading my posts - it seems like I'm on a bit of a downer about he RP2.  It works well, I spent 40 minutes playing Grandia on the PS1 and Super Punch out on Snes 9X emulator whilst waiting for my daughter to finish school.  My only annoyance is the fact I have to jump around between Android/Retroid boots to get the right performance from it which is faff... and who's got time for faffing.

To be fair I spent quite a while faffing with my raspberry pi and it was quite enjoyable (providing it eventually worked). 

I only really want this for some old arcade emulation and some c64 stuff probably. Just something to play when my son has commandeered the Switch! 

On 04/10/2020 at 21:52, watusi said:

or a modded vita if PS1 is a priority.

Yeah, i looked into this and I've just done mine actually. Full FW and SD mod. Fantastic. 

Great thing is i can use retroarch for GBA, MD, SNES and then PS1 and PSP via Adrennalin.

On 07/10/2020 at 08:34, CurryKitten said:

Mine has now arrived and it seems like RetroArch performs badly. Even really old games like Chase HQ or Rainbow Islands.. am I missing something? Should i be using standalone emulators? Which ones??

Mines arrived too, I have to say the interface really is confused. Compared to the RG350M it feels really clunky - Android seems to require constant flipping between mouse mode and stick mode which is odd.

The right analog stick (nub) thing almost feels faulty, if i circle it round it sticks and does not feel fluid. the rest of the device seems well made but the right trigger feels a bit off too. stiffer than the left and it sounds different.

performance wise it seems like it needs a lot of work to get things running smoothly. 

47 minutes ago, watusi said:

Mines arrived too, I have to say the interface really is confused. Compared to the RG350M it feels really clunky - Android seems to require constant flipping between mouse mode and stick mode which is odd.

The right analog stick (nub) thing almost feels faulty, if i circle it round it sticks and does not feel fluid. the rest of the device seems well made but the right trigger feels a bit off too. stiffer than the left and it sounds different.

performance wise it seems like it needs a lot of work to get things running smoothly. 

Even c64 runs like total shit on RetroArch unless I am missing something major. Completely unintuitive design. If RetroidOS worked well then I'd be happy but some games run like crap in that too - Outrun for instance. Seems like a right palaver at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Even c64 runs like total shit on RetroArch unless I am missing something major. Completely unintuitive design. If RetroidOS worked well then I'd be happy but some games run like crap in that too - Outrun for instance. Seems like a right palaver at the moment. 

Hows your right stick out of interest?