Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

10 hours ago, watusi said:

The right analog stick (nub) thing almost feels faulty, if i circle it round it sticks and does not feel fluid. the rest of the device seems well made but the right trigger feels a bit off too. stiffer than the left and it sounds different.

Sounds faulty to me. Have a look under the nub and see if there's anything gunked up beneath.

40 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Sounds faulty to me. Have a look under the nub and see if there's anything gunked up beneath.

yeah, I agree. Reticent to rip it open day one but it’s also a ball ache to return. Will fiddle over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, watusi said:

yeah, I agree. Reticent to rip it open day one but it’s also a ball ache to return. Will fiddle over the weekend. 

Try tilting the stick and use a cotton bud, staple or pen lid to run around and collect any gunk. Try to meet the stick inside if you can.

23 minutes ago, watusi said:

You do know the right stick is supposed to be different than the left one? It's a digital rather than analogue stick.

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Beginners question - in RetroArch can I set it so all my ROMs open with a certain core? E.g. all SNES open with the SNES core? I surely don't have to pick each one individually?!?

Retroarch lets you associate a game with a core when you load the game for the first time. So if you have a choice of, say, 3 different snes cores you could associate the game with the core that runs it best.  One done  it all loads automatically unless you choose to reset the core association, which means you'll get to pick a new one next time you choose that game. 

My GPD XD+ turned up and runs Gamepass great as well as everything else I've thrown at it so far (can do up to GC with tweaks and certain games).  You can even swap the function of the shoulder buttons to better suit Xbox games (the bigger LR1 then becomes LR2 so works better on Forza 4 for acceleration)

I got it from Laptops Direct.  It was classed as grade A1 condition - as new but box opened.

When it turned up it did indeed look as new plus it is the 2019 model (grey matte not glossy black) so supposedly has a slightly less dodgy hinge mechanism.

From what I can see the box was only opened to remove the Chinese set fire to your house plug that they ship with so as to cover themselves legally which is fair enough.

Oh and the best bit...

£105 next day delivery

Just now, deerokus said:

Loving ps1 stuff on the retroid Pocket 2 ,screen size and resolution is perfect so stuff looks really nice.

Breath of Fire 3 has some amazing graphics for the time that stand up really well.

Which emulator are using for ps1?

9 hours ago, watusi said:

Is it just me or does the Retroid Pocket 2 have some noticeable input lag. Particularly in the Retroid interface. It's more noticable in some games than others but SHMUPs seem bad

Yeah RetroidOS games seem to have input lag. Using standalone apps seems better. Have to admit this thing is a bit more faff than I thought it would be. 

• 1 month later...

I bought one of those Powkiddy V90s for my nephew for Christmas, had to have a go before I wrapped it. It's brilliant! SMS Sonic 2 looks so vibrant and controls lovely. £27 or something delivered, you can't complain.

I think in the new year I will explore one of these myself (I'm finding hacking my Vita much more difficult than the instructions imply), maybe one with a little more grunt - ability to play N64 and PSX without shitting the bed would be great. Is the Retroid 2 the best value in this sense? 

3 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I bought one of those Powkiddy V90s for my nephew for Christmas, had to have a go before I wrapped it. It's brilliant! SMS Sonic 2 looks so vibrant and controls lovely. £27 or something delivered, you can't complain.

I think in the new year I will explore one of these myself (I'm finding hacking my Vita much more difficult than the instructions imply), maybe one with a little more grunt - ability to play N64 and PSX without shitting the bed would be great. Is the Retroid 2 the best value in this sense? 

I've found N64 to be very hit and miss on the Retroid 2 (although it does play the title music from Buck Bumble perfectly so it's worth every penny). PSX is pretty much rock solid though. But as PSX is pretty much perfect on the RG350 I'm not sure what the Retroid 2 offers over that.

Could be worth waiting for the Rg351 too, based on the video above.

Hey. Can anyone recommend a handheld that will do Dreamcast and N64 emulation (and below) please?  I see the RG351 above isn’t quite there. 

Has anyone tried an android phone with a controller shell? I say Android as I assume iOS is a no go for emulation?

This is going to be a gift for my sons so ideally something robust and not costing more than £200 if possible. Thanks 

I'm pretty big on my Android phone with regards to emulation. It's basically a one stop shop for everything up to and including the DC. Saturn with Yabause, Redream for DC, M64PlusFZ for N64, My Boy for GBA plus the usual Android Snes, MD and MAME emulator offerings, all working extremely well. Hell I've been palying Jaguar games at near perfect emulation with IrataJaguar. Would imagine you can do DS/3DS and PS1/PSP fairly easily but I use both a VIta and New 3DS XL for that stuff so can't comment.

Just bought a Razer Kishi that is trans-formative, was previously using an Elite 2 pad with clip but the phone I'm using was a little heavy (S20 5G Ultra) and due to Xcloud I was using the phone for gaming a lot, lot more.

I couldn't say how much a powerful phone comes into it for playing everything but would imagine some of the Chinese brands come with great specs that would smash most emulators. After a one time setup of each emu and any of the multitude of capable joypads and phone clips it's a really viable way to play a lot of older hardware.

On 02/12/2020 at 23:51, Rob_Pulsar said:

Hey. Can anyone recommend a handheld that will do Dreamcast and N64 emulation (and below) please?  I see the RG351 above isn’t quite there. 

Has anyone tried an android phone with a controller shell? I say Android as I assume iOS is a no go for emulation?

This is going to be a gift for my sons so ideally something robust and not costing more than £200 if possible. Thanks 

The GPD XD Plus while being old now is still one of the best for N64 and DC. A bit overpriced but nicely made. 

Powkiddy X18 is a slightly cheaper (in all aspects) alternative that still does well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2020 at 12:51, Spoonman said:

Someone at my brother's work has this. Anyone else here have the RG351P? Worth it?

I do . Its a good little machine however, music sometimes is a little off on the Dreamcast, but for the price, very handy.

Also means I have a hardly used RG350M for sale, which I put in Trading some time ago and even followed up with someone in Wanted, but to no avail. 

So if anyone's in the market .......