Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

@David Kenny And i did, and the answer is it runs but not well. Music was a bit janky, but worse still was on the first level (all i tried), i got a huge black block below my glider which made it pretty much unplayable. There may be settings in retroarch to sort this, but i didnt bother to look.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_20210216_090230_1.thumb.jpg.628a031bd00839ddc485c757079bef5c.jpg

Got an RG351P for my birthday! Had to go for purple obviously. 

Still getting to grips with it, I've never used Retroarch before so it's a complete headfuck. The machine itself was fairly good value at £80 but once you factor in buying a good/big SD card and and OTG adaptor and WiFi thing I think it was closer to £120.

I basically bought it as a handheld N64 wrestling and retro pinball (Crush, Kirby, Pokémon, Super Robot etc) machine and it's proved amazing on that front so far. N64 emulation is a little tricky; if you use the standalone emulator(s) you'll get much better performance, but without the customisation of Retroarch - I find myself flicking between the two depending on the game. ( @David Kenny - I have got Pilotwings running to a good standard with no graphical glitches - unfortunately the sound does suffer in places.)

I switched to ArkOS as recommended by the guide on retrogamecorps and I've been very impressed so far, with the promise of OTA updates etc I'm interested to see what improvements can be done. Adding ROMs by FTP is nice and easy too. 

On 16/02/2021 at 09:54, Yobo Ahoy said:

IMG_20210216_090230_1.thumb.jpg.628a031bd00839ddc485c757079bef5c.jpg

I basically bought it as a handheld N64 wrestling and retro pinball (Crush, Kirby, Pokémon, Super Robot etc) machine and it's proved amazing on that front so far. N64 emulation is a little tricky; if you use the standalone emulator(s) you'll get much better performance, but without the customisation of Retroarch - I find myself flicking between the two depending on the game. ( @David Kenny - I have got Pilotwings running to a good standard with no graphical glitches - unfortunately the sound does suffer in places.)

Same - I use mine mainly for wrestling games and pinball and similar games to what you have mentioned.

I'd never played Slam Tilt on Amiga before, but having heard of it. That's a revelation - great game.

Wrestling- wise, Giant Gram 2000 plays very nicely. Out of the Aki wrestlers, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 works very well. Use the Freem edition for an English translation. I am also experimenting with the Toukon Retsuden games - 3 on PS and 4 on DC.

RG351 owners. How do i set the screen to 4:3 for things like the neo pocket/ pc engine emulator? Never used one of these handheld units before and havent got a clue how to mess with display settings etc. Would rather have screen settings for each console.

Would i have been better to go for the rg280 if i just wanted  4:3 16 bit and lower systems?

2 hours ago, bwi said:

RG351 owners. How do i set the screen to 4:3 for things like the neo pocket/ pc engine emulator? Never used one of these handheld units before and havent got a clue how to mess with display settings etc. Would rather have screen settings for each console.

Would i have been better to go for the rg280 if i just wanted  4:3 16 bit and lower systems?

I’d recommend installing the 351ELEC front-end - it’s super-easy to install, and every system is setup correctly by default (RGA scaling when required, the correct aspect ratio etc). I reckon it gives a better ‘out of the box’ experience.

But otherwise, I think you press L3 + R3 when in game then go to the video settings. Not sure if this sets it per game or per system though?

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

I’d recommend installing the 351ELEC front-end - it’s super-easy to install, and every system is setup correctly by default (RGA scaling when required, the correct aspect ratio etc). I reckon it gives a better ‘out of the box’ experience.

But otherwise, I think you press L3 + R3 when in game then go to the video settings. Not sure if this sets it per game or per system though?

I've spent an hour or so watching youtube videos and most mention 351 elec. I think i'll give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks for the reply

I bought an RG351P at the weekend after seeing a YouTube video recommending it, and I’ve been absolutely blown away. I’ve been looking for something like this for years, and bought a couple, but they all looked a bit crappy to me in some way, had questionable performance, or were too expensive.

This is exactly what I’m looking for: 80 quid, perfect size, great performance, all the controls you need, good build quality, and a decent front end that isn’t super fiddly and doesn’t need endless customisation.

I actually think this is the best way to play GBA games full stop, and I own an AGS-101 modded original GBA (plus a GBA SP, 2x GB Micros, DS Lite, all of the GBA games on 3DS, and a bunch on the Wii U). That’s a wonderful console, but the screen on this is bigger, and there’s no messing around with carts or batteries, and it has a proper standby mode. The screen res on the RG351 is also exactly twice the GBA’s res in both directions, so games scale perfectly and look beautiful. It’s actually very close to how I’d imagine an official GBA Classic would operate.

I was worried at how 320x240 games would look on the screen, given the resolution is 1.5x in each direction, but switching on RGA scaling makes everything look fine, and smooths the graphics out a bit too. PS1 games look and play brilliantly, and N64 and PSP seem ‘ok’ (though I wasn’t expecting to play them at all).

As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I installed 351ELEC and it’s a really good front end. Every system has the correct aspect ratio and scaling option set by default, and pressing start & select together twice takes you back to the front end menu, so there’s minimal fuss and no need to interact with Retroarch if you don’t want to. The default theme is better than stock too.

Very happy with this!

42C33DBB-F144-4F74-A86C-F581E7D9068A.thumb.jpeg.a474c90dad6534b5e9fb7f09d0e9a709.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Dudley said:

What's the startup time like on the 351s? It's the one reason I don't use my Gpi as much as I should.  No standby mode, 2 minute boot time.

15 seconds or so for a full boot, but the standby mode is wonderful (and instant).

Has anyone owned both a RG350 and a RG351P? I had a RG350 briefly and liked it but found the controls a bit iffy. The face buttons in particular had too much "deepness" when pushed in.

Wondered if its the same on the RG351P.

Has anyone installed the new 351elec V2 yet. Did mine just and all went smoothly as I've never done anything like this before.

I've been following retro game corps video and it does look feature packed, and its made me sort out what games i actually want on the system

14 hours ago, watusi said:

Has anyone owned both a RG350 and a RG351P? I had a RG350 briefly and liked it but found the controls a bit iffy. The face buttons in particular had too much "deepness" when pushed in.

Wondered if its the same on the RG351P.

Well I'll find out as I bought one from DroidX last night :)

@Paulando and possibly @watusi I'm thinking of getting my friend an RG351 for his 50th birthday, but wanted to understand -

do you get games pre- installed on the SD from Droix?

Is it relatively easy to play some/ most games straight  out of the box?

I'm trying to gauge of it would work as a nice gift, my friend had all his retro consoles stolen, so this could potentially work as a great present, but don't want to get one of it means he has to tinker with downloading loads of ROMs and updates to play a decent range of games from the get go?

I bought mine from Droix. Straight out of the box it does work and there are a load of roms included on the 64GB card (mostly 8 and 16 bit systems, but a few PSX, N64 and Dreamcast games are on there). The front end looks 'nice' and had I not known about the other OS' I would probably kept it as-is. The ROMs are pretty poorly organised in some places but that's just nitpicking really. 

Not come across these things before but they look pretty awesome!

Is this the one to get?

MJKJ RG351P Handheld Game Console ,Built-in 64G TF Card 2500 Classic Games Support PSP / PS1 / N64 / NDS Opening Linux Tony System , 3.5inch IPS Screen Retro Game Console - Black https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B08J43Q2JQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RSP22D6A6J4Y5FRTCJJ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

11 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Is this the one to get?

MJKJ RG351P Handheld Game Console ,Built-in 64G TF Card 2500 Classic Games Support PSP / PS1 / N64 / NDS Opening Linux Tony System , 3.5inch IPS Screen Retro Game Console - Black https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B08J43Q2JQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RSP22D6A6J4Y5FRTCJJ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That seems to be the one, yep! Mine was from Amazon and the listing said it was a BittBoy console, but all of the pics suggested it was Anbernic, and it was.

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Is this the one to get?

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

That seems to be the one, yep! Mine was from Amazon and the listing said it was a BittBoy console, but all of the pics suggested it was Anbernic, and it was.

I got mine from Amazon UK on Sunday.  This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SMNQPBK

It came with a wifi dongle and loads of ROMs preinstalled.  I also got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072HJ4FTX/ which fits it perfectly.