Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

23 hours ago, watusi said:

Has anyone owned both a RG350 and a RG351P? I had a RG350 briefly and liked it but found the controls a bit iffy. The face buttons in particular had too much "deepness" when pushed in.

Wondered if its the same on the RG351P.

Yes, I have both. I'd say their a little bit too high, rather than deep. The RG351 is marginally better (button wise) than RG350M or RG350.

I love both - but RG351 is pretty much the handheld I've waited forever for.

I received my RG351P in GBA style purple last Sunday, and found that there seems to be a lot of dedicated RG351P discussion in the Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread, so I thought it might be worth having a separate area for this amazing little machine.

I ordered this one from Amazon UK for £79.95 which came with the necessary wifi dongle and a 64GB micro SD card preloaded with hundreds of games.  I also bought this UGREEN hard drive case for £11.99 from Amazon too, which fits the machine perfectly.

The machine comes pretty well usable out of the box with the stock firmware, but I have since tried the two main recommended firmware replacements, ArkOS and 351ELEC 2.0.  They are both miles better than the stock firmware, but ArkOS seems geared more to people who have more of an idea about this things than I, and that like to tinker.  351ELEC 2.0 hardly needs any configuration and is really easy to get along with for people like myself that are new to this type of consoles.

A pretty much essential resource for RG351P is Retro Game Corps both here on his website and also on his YouTube channel.  His video guides are fantastically in-depth and required viewing.

Guess not haha. I'm still very impressed with mine, barely put it down. 

I've explored Dreamcast emulation a little bit now and it's the one area where the resolution just isn't good enough - Virtua Tennis runs at a decent speed but it's so easy to lose track of the ball. Going to try a few more over the next few days. 

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

I received my RG351P in GBA style purple last Sunday, and found that there seems to be a lot of dedicated RG351P discussion in the Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread, so I thought it might be worth having a separate area for this amazing little machine.

I ordered this one from Amazon UK for £79.95 which came with the necessary wifi dongle and a 64GB micro SD card preloaded with hundreds of games.  I also bought this UGREEN hard drive case for £11.99 from Amazon too, which fits the machine perfectly.

The machine comes pretty well usable out of the box with the stock firmware, but I have since tried the two main recommended firmware replacements, ArkOS and 351ELEC 2.0.  They are both miles better than the stock firmware, but ArkOS seems geared more to people who have more of an idea about this things than I, and that like to tinker.  351ELEC 2.0 hardly needs any configuration and is really easy to get along with for people like myself that are new to this type of consoles.

A pretty much essential resource for RG351P is Retro Game Corps both here on his website and also on his YouTube channel.  His video guides are fantastically in-depth and required viewing.

Moved this just because there's a lot of discussion going on about it here so probably best to keep it all together.

Just now, Lorfarius said:

I think the problem with this RG350 models is there's always a new one just around the corner :lol: the 52 will be out soon I'm sure! And its bound to be even better.

Yeah, on reflection I agree completely.  I'm also worried that I may have stumbled upon another gaming money drain if they keep coming out with improved emulation!

On 19/02/2021 at 08:17, Kramer said:

Same - I use mine mainly for wrestling games and pinball and similar games to what you have mentioned.

I'd never played Slam Tilt on Amiga before, but having heard of it. That's a revelation - great game.

Anymore pinball recommendations?

11 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I think the problem with this RG350 models is there's always a new one just around the corner :lol: the 52 will be out soon I'm sure! And its bound to be even better.

Rg351v is just about to release! GB form and 640x480 screen are the main draws.

3 hours ago, Stejay said:

If you like silly ones:

Spoiler

Devil's/Alien Crush (PC Engine)

Jaki Crush (SNES)

Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)

Revenge Of The Gator (GB)

Pokémon Pinball (GBA, GBC)

Super Robot Pinball (GBC)

Time Cruise 1&2 (PC Engine)

Sonic Pinball Party (GBA)

Pinball of The Dead (GBA)

Sonic Spinball (MD)

Serious ones don't do much for me, unless it has bonus games and multiple screens I'm not really interested... 

14 hours ago, Stejay said:

The Crush/Crash series on PC engine (Alien/Devil) and SNES (Jaki).

Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (SNES/Amiga) Illusions (Amiga)

SNES slightly easier - Amiga versions need to bring up the keyboard to select players.

Revenge of the Gator and Kirby's Pinball Land - Gameboy.

Pokémon Pinball - GBC and GBA.

Little Mermaid Pinball - GBC

Sonic Pinball Party and House of the Dead Pinball - GBA.

True Pinball - PlayStation.

Other Playstation/DC pinball games don't run well or at all eg Worms Pinball or the Pro Pinball series. Well, they'll run in the Duckstation emulator but poorly.

The others mentioned work brilliantly and cover the various styles of video game pinball well.

I have a couple of newbie questions to ask.  How do I get bezels to work?  I really want them for the handheld systems especially.  I have placed them ROMS > bezels and pointed to them in RetroArch and saved the current configuration, but they aren't showing up when playing.  Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some decent MAME bezels too?

Do multi-disk games like Ground Zero Texas on Mega CD and Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation work without any other configuration, just stick the files on the corresponding ROMs folder?  I can start the games from disk one with no problems, but don't want to play through them and find I cannot continue to disk two.

This is on 351ELEC 2.0.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

The Crush/Crash series on PC engine (Alien/Devil) and SNES (Jaki).

You can add Dragon's Revenge (a Mega Drive exclusive) to this list too. I think it's the only one in the series without a Crush/Crash name in Japan.

I've not tried Crüe Ball but plenty of people like that.

3 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

You can add Dragon's Revenge (a Mega Drive exclusive) to this list too. I think it's the only one in the series without a Crush/Crash name in Japan.

I've not tried Crüe Ball but plenty of people like that.

Yeah, there's quite a few other games that are good like Pinball (arcade) similar to Kirby/Revenge. Crüe Ball is also good, but not the type of theming I particularly like. Pinbot and High Speed on NES are significant too - with how the flippers stay on the screen while the ball is pinging about.

I've been playing most of these for years, but not Slam Tilt - hence why it's a bit of a revelation.

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Yeah, there's quite a few other games that are good like Pinball (arcade) similar to Kirby/Revenge. Crüe Ball is also good, but not the type of theming I particularly like. Pinbot and High Speed on NES are significant too - with how the flippers stay on the screen while the ball is pinging about.

I've been playing most of these for years, but not Slam Tilt - hence why it's a bit of a revelation.

Is Dragon's Revenge the weakest of the series?

5 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Is Dragon's Revenge the weakest of the series?

Yeah,  think so. The physics are different - more bouncy, not as good. Generally, Devil's Crush and Jaki Crush are considered the top tier.

22 hours ago, Stejay said:

A bit more obscure, and honestly I don't know whether it's as appealing if you didn't play it at the time, but I've always got time for Obsession on the Atari STe, which should emulate well. Great music, which is always half of the battle.

(admittedly a large part of my liking it surely comes from it having been a complete powerhouse demonstration of the STe's capabilities, one of the few games which really took advantage of the system's strengths over base Atari ST models)

Ooh good call, didn't play that till very recently but it's the only thing close to Pinball Fantasies Amiga for the time period.

Incidentally if you play any of the 21st Century/DICE Pinball series and see a Spidersoft logo, immediately turn off the machine.

And burn down the machine and your house just to be safe.

33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Ooh good call, didn't play that till very recently but it's the only thing close to Pinball Fantasies Amiga for the time period.

Incidentally if you play any of the 21st Century/DICE Pinball series and see a Spidersoft logo, immediately turn off the machine.

And burn down the machine and your house just to be safe.

Yeah, Psycho Pinball a bit of a rip off of Fantasies - but in a good sense - just the theming is reminiscence. 

Yep, I've tried them every pinball game recently on RG351 - all of the Spidersoft ones have been deleted!

Obession Pinball was also deleted - that may have been because it was fiddly between keyboard and joystick, rather than being poor.

I've got many thoughts on the RG351P after a few days but first....

Does anyone else's play interference constantly out of the speaker if it's actually using the wifi?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I've got many thoughts on the RG351P after a few days but first....

Does anyone else's play interference constantly out of the speaker if it's actually using the wifi?

Yes, that’s why the stopped selling them with built-in WiFi and switched to plug-in dongles. You’ve got an early model if it’s built in.

I've not.  It's crackling with the dongle.   And cut out immediately when I plugged in power.

It seems to have abysmal wifi reception at the best of times actually I wonder if a usb ethernet dongle would work.

I literally just need to scrape everything and then it'll never need network again.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

I've not.  It's crackling with the dongle.   And cut out immediately when I plugged in power.

It seems to have abysmal wifi reception at the best of times actually I wonder if a usb ethernet dongle would work.

I literally just need to scrape everything and then it'll never need network again.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear before. The built in WiFi models had the crackling, so they switched to the dongle, but the interference still remained.  

I have the dongle too. I don’t have any issues connecting to WiFi when using it though.

It's doing ok, albeit about 30cm from the nearest Deco so it'll do for the small amount it'll get used.  I do wonder why none of the youtubers who got free units ever mention it though.

The system itself after 2 days I'd give a qualified recommendation certainly. Some personal 2 day observations.

- Ditch the stock OS immediately, it's awful, it's stolen code and it does a horrific job of showing off the machine, especially if you don't put your own games on.  It's got a stupid selection with stupid naming that's almost impossible to navigate. 351Electv2 solves 90% of the problems.

- It does not, in any meaningful way "Play Dreamcast games". I never expected it to of course because reality but the adverts are misleading to the general public here.

- Same is true of PSP

- It DOES though have a not perfect but bloody impressive crack at N64

- And so far it's absolutely 100% on PS1.

- The D-Pad is good but not super great, it's better than modern consoles but it's not as good as my 8BitDo controllers and probably not as good as my Gameboy Rpi case. It's a little spongy and occasionally I've not held it well enough and characters have stopped moving when I didn't want them to.

- The "letter" buttons are indeed a little "Tall" as some have said here, it's not a big problem but you do notice.

- The sticks are a little awkward but actually work really well when used in isolation.

- Once you have 351Elecv2 on, people are right, it starts up in really good time (admittedly with a really good sd card, not the one it came with) and suspend works really well.

- I've not fully tested but the battery seems solid. It's probably only lying about 8 hours (with wifi off) by as much as everything lies about battery life.

Not strictly a retro handheld but certainly very, very capable at running all manner of retro formats and games.

I'd definitely be down for something like this down the line, currently very happy with my S20 Ultra and Razer Kishi but would imagine handhelds like this will become much more common (and eventually a fair bit less expensive) with an even more powerful and efficient AMD apu as they move to 5nm.

Looks great already mind.

On 03/03/2021 at 11:12, Dudley said:

- It does not, in any meaningful way "Play Dreamcast games". I never expected it to of course because reality but the adverts are misleading to the general public here.

- Same is true of PSP

I have been wondering if this was too good to be true, there's just been something holding me back on this. 

Don't suppose you've tried cosmic smash on dc, or psp everybody's golf have you? 

Probably the only two I'd actually play anyway.