Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Damn, the screen on the 351V is so much better than any other recent devices I have used!

Are the bios and system files that come as default on the 16gb card available to download anywhere? 

Just wondering as I'm just going to use the stock 16gb card but worried if it fails I'm left with a brick console. Should I just copy and paste all the files from that card onto laptop just to make sure or is there something else I need to do? 

Good guide with software links

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Good guide with software links

Cheers, aye i have read over this a few times. Waiting for a laptop to arrive so i can tinker with it. Will be following his guides closely although im not going too daft with it like i did other devices. 

On 19/03/2021 at 17:06, Dudley said:

Some potentially decent improvements to DC on the RG351P

Although quite how much it's difficult to know without an FPS counter.

Hi, so, is the RG351P currently the best option for a Dreamcast emulation handheld? Acc. to this video it runs many DC games very smoothly, doesn't it?

On 26/05/2021 at 17:19, alex3d said:

Any experience with the Powkiddy RGB10 Max? Seems DC games run smoothly: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2UAgGQg6Nk

edit: and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_d1hVfwUgU 

So, this is smooth DC handheld emulation then?

Yeah the community for these handhelds is a bit odd. That first video seems to think 70% speed is close to acceptable. They raved about the Retroid Pocket 2 but the DC performance on that is unplayable for me. 

Bro looking at an  Anbernic for his birthday  the Gameboy looking one. However, are they any good?, and more importantly easy for him to transfer files back and forth?. Ideally playing PSone games would be a benefit too, but do these devices have cheats on them so he can get infinite lives etc?. He was looking at the Retroid Pocket 2, he did have my old GPD which is kind of the benchmark he's used to.

If he's playing PSOne games note the "gameboy looking one" has only 1 stick.

Very easy, if he can copy to an SD card.  Also transferring files is more important than it being any good? ;)

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

If he's playing PSOne games note the "gameboy looking one" has only 1 stick.

Very easy, if he can copy to an SD card.  Also transferring files is more important than it being any good? ;)

Being Good is no.1 of course, I told him to get just a razer kishi and play on his phone. Though I understand the form factor these modern handhelds but for me watching reviews, flashing os, spotty emulation due to hardware occasionally just makes me worried as I be helping him out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the prowl for an RG350 now. I tried playing SNES games on my phone with my Xbox controller and it was passable, but I think I need something more dedicated.

11 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I'm on the prowl for an RG350 now. I tried playing SNES games on my phone with my Xbox controller and it was passable, but I think I need something more dedicated.

Go for an RG351. Just a better system all round.

15 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Go for an RG351. Just a better system all round.

I heard the screen is better on the 350M though? I'll only be playing SNES/ GBA mostly, and maybe PS1 if it can handle them.

On 20/06/2021 at 18:57, alex3d said:

Ordered an RG351p today as it even plays ScummVM fine. Very much looking forward to it.

It's looooooovely.

PXL_20210707_163539517._exported_2001_1625675856140.jpg

54 minutes ago, Quest said:

Does it handle most PS1 stuff well, or just a few titles? 

Everything well. The P’s screen res is better for GBA (it’s 2x in each direction), and the M is better for PS1 and other home consoles (it’s 2x in each direction for those). But the RGA scaling works incredibly well on the P for me, and PS1 games look lovely.

Yeah, PS1 runs 100% flawless (tested V-Rally 2, Destruction Derby 2, Discworld Noir, Wipeout XL). It's an absolutely fantastic device. On DC I only tested Bangai-O and it runs flawlessly as well. GBA (Gunstar Super Heroes) does indeed look super nice.

Can someone give me some advice please? :unsure: an SD card with games on came with my RG351P. I put the card into my computer but the game files don't show up. I also transferred a rom file to the SNES section of the card and it didn't show up on the device. I don't know if it's a read only card or something?

Edit: This was on a Chromebook that I tried. A post on Reddit suggests you need windows 10?

Does anyone have both the 351v and p? I prefer the shape of the p but apparently the screen of the v is much better to play home console games. 

My platform priority at the moment  is NES>SNES>MD>GB/GBC>other handhelds

Also have you tried these machine with retro archievements? That's a cool idea I'm in love with that.

Edit: 351v ordered 

12 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Can someone give me some advice please? :unsure: an SD card with games on came with my RG351P. I put the card into my computer but the game files don't show up. I also transferred a rom file to the SNES section of the card and it didn't show up on the device. I don't know if it's a read only card or something?

Edit: This was on a Chromebook that I tried. A post on Reddit suggests you need windows 10?

Yes you need Windows 10 to do setup as you need different programs. Follow the link for a decent guide but ditch those SD cards as they fail easily.