Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

It’s my birthday soon so after a new toy to play with, just wondering are these pick up and play out of the box or do you have to load it and program it first? And judging from what you guys have written the RG351 would play Dreamcast games just fine right?

9 hours ago, hollowman said:

It’s my birthday soon so after a new toy to play with, just wondering are these pick up and play out of the box or do you have to load it and program it first?

Yes it has everything setup out of the box but long term you are better up setting up a hacked one as its much faster.

9 hours ago, hollowman said:

It’s my birthday soon so after a new toy to play with, just wondering are these pick up and play out of the box or do you have to load it and program it first? And judging from what you guys have written the RG351 would play Dreamcast games just fine right?

No, it's just not powerful enough.

Acceptably on some titles but the tone of your posts suggests you have higher expectations than it can deliver.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I had a proper thorough read of this thread for research. I was wanted to get my 3 year old something retro to grow into and learn how to make Mario jump, but everywhere I looked was telling me to go all out and get a RG351 or similar. 

Just ordered one of them Powkiddy v90 clam shell GBA SP things which should be perfect. He's not going to notice any tiny imperfections. Price has hiked up by a tenner since it was mentioned in September though. Thanks, Brexit. 

But I can have a go on it too and hold out until Anbernic knock out something with a bit more grunt. A bunch of new platforms running smoothly seems just in reach. 

4 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Just ordered one of them Powkiddy v90 clam shell GBA SP things which should be perfect. He's not going to notice any tiny imperfections. Price has hiked up by a tenner since it was mentioned in September though. Thanks, Brexit. 

Pop on some custom firmware. It smooths out the imperfections and also makes it simpler to use, with a nicer UI.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/retrogamecorps.com/2021/02/01/review-powkiddy-v90/amp/

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 21:49, Nifta said:

Pop on some custom firmware. It smooths out the imperfections and also makes it simpler to use, with a nicer UI.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/retrogamecorps.com/2021/02/01/review-powkiddy-v90/amp/

V90 turned up today and it's a lovely wee thing. Did all that custom stuff, and it was well worth it just for the simpler menu. That's going to be handy when I make the kid's micro sd with only a few things on.

Performance seems fine so far. Just did some gba, gbc and ps1 resident evil seemed to be ticking over at a decent frame rate even without any extra custom faff. 

If it is dipping, I can't see it. And my kid definitely won't. 

I was worried it would be too small to be comfortable for adult hands, but seems to fit quite nice. It looks cheap and flimsy but all these cheap things seem to have been put together well. 

Nice, AK Bell! Your kid will be happy :)

I have a Pocketgo S30 on the way, which I'm looking forward to modding an tinkering with, then also passing to my daughter to play some of daddy's old fashioned games on :)

Just received an email from Droix here in the UK who mention that a new 351MP is due sometime in November / December.

The same as the 351M but with a 4:3 and 2 sd card slots from the V, but without the Wifi (and in two new colours)

Slightly smaller than the 351M, it seems to be a hybrid of the 351M and 351V, albeit with the same cpu (which seems to be a chance missed).

More details here...

https://droix.co.uk/rg351mp-faq-a-hybrid-metal-vertical-handheld/?utm_source=DroiX.net&utm_campaign=7a31060e64-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2b9a6af83c-7a31060e64-137997057&goal=0_2b9a6af83c-7a31060e64-137997057&mc_cid=7a31060e64&mc_eid=b95e20be3d