Jump to content
IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread


NEG
 Share

Recommended Posts

A bit disappointing for me. I thought the n64 would be a bit more solid. Surprised how well the Gamecube "works" but still not quite there. Not enough of a step up to be worth getting. 

 

Yet? Are these emulators going to improve on it a lot more once the machine is out? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to stress that I'm no programmer but I suspect that software could help. More modern Android and more up to date emulators may give improvement. With these handhelds I'd wait for people to get their hands on the software before buying.

 

I have to say Taki's definition of playable varies from mine greatly. I wouldn't class any of those Gamecube games as playable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I seem to recall this Taki guy was hyping up the Retroid Pocket 2 as having playable Dreamcast and N64. I think he is very lenient. I don't mind the odd graphical glitch and even some slowdown but constant audio stuttering makes anything unbearable. 

Correct, it was him and RetroDodo hyping it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

RetroDodo has some weird takes on things. I generally go by Retro Game Corps, Russ is pretty good at reviewing these things. Incredibly good at teaching you how to upgrade them too.

 

I normally just rely on what Rllmuk thinks, at least the replies and reviews are honest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I seem to recall this Taki guy was hyping up the Retroid Pocket 2 as having playable Dreamcast and N64. I think he is very lenient. I don't mind the odd graphical glitch and even some slowdown but constant audio stuttering makes anything unbearable. 

 

I briefly owned one of these, both Dreamcast and N64 ran like complete shit. No where near playable. I am a bit anal about emulation though, if it can't run it perfectly I won't touch it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

Hang on. These on the DV via RG351? Is there a list of what runs well  like there is for PSP on RG351

DC stuff (even 3D stuff) can run tolerably (though far from perfect) if you pick the right emulator. Way better than N64 does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bradigor said:

 

Hang on. These on the DV via RG351? Is there a list of what runs well  like there is for PSP on RG351

 

You mean DC? Yep. Quite some DC games run flawlessly, others do not. There's a compatibility list for emulec devices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sound issues sorted. Scraping is my latest issue. 

 

I am using ScreenScraper and I have an account on there. I hjave gone to the scrape settings and double checked my user/pass/ Have WiFi connection, etc but it refuses to scrape the details/images. I've only got MAMA and SNES on the card to far so as not to overwhelm it straight away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

You can certainly run DOSBox on the thing but it's not going to be super easy, not least when you get to the game's manual check which while cracked is still going to require you to press enter.

 

Ah, never mind then. Gradually getting stuff on there. Using this unit as a curation experiment, ready for when I can get a 552 or something down the line. Fill up the Micro SD, trim it down, then back it up ready for next time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

Ah, never mind then. Gradually getting stuff on there. Using this unit as a curation experiment, ready for when I can get a 552 or something down the line. Fill up the Micro SD, trim it down, then back it up ready for next time. 

Also get some sweet, sweet Retroachievements

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Holy shit. Using RetroRun and Crazy Taxi is really smooth on Dreamcast. 

Yeah, when it's good it's surprisingly good. Soul Calibur and Hydro Thunder seemed decent for me too. You can forget Dead or Alive 2 though, that one's challenging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

Yeah, when it's good it's surprisingly good. Soul Calibur and Hydro Thunder seemed decent for me too. You can forget Dead or Alive 2 though, that one's challenging.

 

Hydro Thunder! On to that. What about Metropolis Street Racer? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.