IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

I’m suddenly hankering for a small portable that can at least play GBA and PS1 games well. 

What’s the best machine for under £150?

Or does anybody wanna sell me one? :)

39 minutes ago, christaylor said:

I'd say the default OS is functional, but you get a far better user experience setting up and using 351ELEC: https://351elec.de/

Yeah, I'd agree with this. It's perfectly usable out of the box, but changing the firmware is easily done and the 351elec firmware is an improvement.

I have the 351M and I love it. However for some reason it runs everything upto PS1 wonderfully with the exception of Dino Crisis which gets stuck loading, no matter what version I have put on. 

Looking forward to some people selling their Ayo Odin Pro down the line. I can't afford it new but looks like the perfect upgrade to the 351M

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I recently got a 351MP and have switched to 351Elec firmware and then added roms to the second card. From here it's a mixed bag in terms of which play and which don't. Even those that do often don't seem to be readily controllable (i.e. setting up the correct per game control input). Main culprits are Spectrum, Amiga and Atari ST.

Is there a preferred source for an all in one image?

5 hours ago, new666uk said:

Hi all,

I recently got a 351MP and have switched to 351Elec firmware and then added roms to the second card. From here it's a mixed bag in terms of which play and which don't. Even those that do often don't seem to be readily controllable (i.e. setting up the correct per game control input). Main culprits are Spectrum, Amiga and Atari ST.

Is there a preferred source for an all in one image?

Can't help you with images but this video may help

Tempted to pick one of these up primarily for GBA. I have a nice modded OG GBA with a new screen, and that's great, but this looks a lot better. I wasn't really that fussed with GBA on Vita, it felt like a compromise between speed and accuracy. If this plays GBA flawlessly then I'd be very interested.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Tempted to pick one of these up primarily for GBA. I have a nice modded OG GBA with a new screen, and that's great, but this looks a lot better. I wasn't really that fussed with GBA on Vita, it felt like a compromise between speed and accuracy. If this plays GBA flawlessly then I'd be very interested.

Yep, it’s flawless. Also the best way to play GBA games.

14 hours ago, Vimster said:

Get gba through the psp emulator on vita, gpsp was pretty good back in the day.

Not the best pic, but this gives an idea of what GBA games look like on the RG351P:

71471DF1-8B8F-47EE-ABFA-C10E3CAEDB76.thumb.jpeg.6e8b3f64692947d0d7b4922dc777abde.jpeg

It’s twice the res in each direction so scales perfectly with a 4:1 pixel ratio. It’s brighter, more colourful, and doesn’t have the ghosting of the real GBA screens.

If I mostly want to just play PS1 games, what's the best choice these days? 

I could buy an RG351MP for 70-ish quid and probably have it in my hands by tomorrow morning, but the Retroid Pocket 2+ looks tempting. Would likely have to wait a while for one of those though.

58 minutes ago, Quest said:

I could buy an RG351MP for 70-ish quid and probably have it in my hands by tomorrow morning, but the Retroid Pocket 2+ looks tempting. Would likely have to wait a while for one of those though.

Vita 😉

The 350 plays most if not all ps1 games perfectly, if that's all you want to play upto. Reckon you could get one for less than 50 quid now if you look around. 

1 hour ago, Quest said:

Yeah, 350s are very cheap here in China but I can see the extra power of the 351 being useful.

I'm looking forward to a future in which PS2 is manageable in that kind of compact form factor, but that seems a few years off at this point. Looking at videos it seems even things like the Ayn Odin are still struggling, and those are bigger and more expensive than I'd like.

3 hours ago, Wonderm said:

I stand corrected! I haven't had any issues with PS1 on the 350 to be honest but maybe I didn't play anything that stretched it too far 

Bloody Roar 2 is always a good check. The frame rate will tank really fast if it's not up to it

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the 351P for a few weeks now and it has got a ton of use. It came with a 64gb card but I repurposed it and put 351Elec on there (now known as AmberElec), slammed some ROMS on, used the included WiFi dongle to scrape some box art and get things updated. AmberElec is very flexible, you get access to tons of options to get emulation just right and you can save them per game too.

The screen is fantastic, very bright and clear, even colour temp. There are enough screen options, shaders and filters that you can get it looking how you want easily enough. Not tried PS1 as I feel this is more about 8/16-bit systems for me. It benefits lower-res systems.

As has been said the screen is just great for GBA, and for most games the system runs smoothly although some of the more complex 3D games struggle, no matter what core you use. Tokyo Xtreme Racer Advance is a bit too much for the poor thing, but that's at the hard end.

Battery life is superb, I was playing Yoshi's Island earlier for about half an hour and it was still 100% charge when I turned it off.

It's getting to the stage now where these portables can do all the classic systems very well, so if you just want to play Megadrive or GBA you're sorted. I feel I wouldn't want to play PS1 and above on something like this, as the resolution gets higher it's tridier to see what's going on.

It's a bit harder to recommend this if you want to run old computer systems on there. The Spectrum looks lovely and vibrant but I couldn't get the input configured.

If you can get this cheap I'd say it'll be worth it. Nice build quality for a plastic case. Screen is glass. Has enough oomph to do most things but I'd avoid Dreamcast and N64.

*taps foot*

I am looking forward to the Odin turning up but it sounds like end of April they were suggesting is a bit unlikely with new bother with Covid stopping chipboards shipping from China. Knowing my luck, they'll be attacking Taiwan and be sanctioned to fuck before I get it 😕 

The good news is that I've been getting loads of use out of the Powkiddy v90 and it lives in my jeans pocket as much as my phone does now. I don't expect that to change even if I get a new toy. It's just so handy and I'm rattling through some SNES JRPGs.

The Odin Pro just isn't going to beat fit in my jeans pocket and being able to protect itself with a clam shell design. I'm actually worried about how much use it's going to get.

But... I probably have abused it too much and had some faff with dust/lint getting between the screen and protector so had to open it up recently. It's not technically mine, it's my son's, so I had to buy a backup v90 before I dared pop out the screw covers and take it apart. I think I've tightened it enough now though to trust nothing to get in. It was fun poking about in there though.

The problem is that the link in this thread to eBay doesn't exist any more. It's hard to know which sources are legit. What came was alright, and to be honest looks more like the ones in the video reviews than my original, but I had to take them apart to faff about getting rid of bubbles on the screen protector and one needed tightening to get a trigger to work properly. But these seem to be common issues. Maybe they just make them a bit worse now. Buyer beware! 

There was a deal on so I bought another and gave it to my Dad who was been keep thinking about getting something like a Switch or mini SNES despite having no previous interest in games outside of watching me play them. I keep having to explain to him not to worry about messing about with it as all you can mess up is your own (backed up) SD card. He's up this weekend for more instruction on how to save states. 

Anyway, v90 ...it's brilliant. I wouldn't want any other mini handheld.